EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Outdoor Kitchen- do you use yours?  (Read 817 times)

Dawgfever

Outdoor Kitchen- do you use yours?
« on: September 17, 2017, 10:25:14 PM »
Do you really use your outdoor kitchen on your TT or 5'er?  Or is it generally a waste of money and space?
2012 F-350, 6.7, LWB, CC, SWR

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
Re: Outdoor Kitchen- do you use yours?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 11:04:38 PM »
I deliberately chose a unit without an outdoor kitchen. When I cook outside, I use a folding table, my Coleman or MSR stove, and a Dutch Oven or two. I want to be able to place my kitchen wherever I want it which is not necessarily where the trailer is parked. I have a shelter with mosquito proof sides if the bugs are out, something that you can't get with one attached to the trailer.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 05:52:26 AM »
We always though an outdoor kitchen was just a waste. Now that we have one, we really like it and use it a lot.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Conquest2011

• ---
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 06:25:32 AM »
The DW and I are looking for a 5er to full time in and she would love an outdoor kitchen, but we haven't seen one with the floor plan we want. We are strongly pulled to the GD 375res, of course that model doesn't have one. The outdoor kitchen we did looked at came with a sink, stove, refig and a few cabinets and I thought I saw an outside TV as well. Not even interested in an outdoor TV, no time to watch TV with all the beautiful things and people out there. If we don't get an outdoor kitchen we are set up to cook and prepare meal outside anyways, but sure be convenient if we did have one. ;D
Steven & LeVere

Waiting our next adventure conveyance
2007 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2008 C90T Suzuki

Wish list  375RE Solitude
              Ford F350 Diesel dually Fully loaded

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 08:06:31 AM »
We always liked to  "grill out" but never felt the need for an entire "kitchen" outside. If we are preparing other foods besides what is on the grill, the cook wants all the galley tools and supplies available.   That said, a water faucet and a beverage fridge near the patio can be very handy!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

blw2

• ---
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 08:42:33 AM »
When we were still shopping around and considering options, I had an outdoor kitchen on my want list.  Not a must have for me, but I thought it would be nice....
We still had our popup, and camped in a site that was so out of level the rear of the little short pup was almost unreachable....
It dawned on my that had we been in long TT with an outdoor kitchen I would have needed a ladder to get to it.
so
it would only really be interesting when on perfectly level sites.

I ended up scratching it off my want list, and have not regretted it.

I can imagine some folks loving them, but for me I'd rather have more flexibility with a portable grille and or stove.
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 11:33:08 AM »
We spend a lot of time outdoors while camping, but never saw the need for a second kitchen. They take up an incredible amount of space that could otherwise be used for storage. Our motorhome came with a gas grill that attaches to the side of the camper - it went to the dump with the box unopened. We use a Weber Q on a folding table that allows us a lot of flexibility in setting up.

Triple Slide Jayco

• ---
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 01:12:09 PM »
I never thought I would use one, until I got a TT with one and use it to watch TV. I removed the upper cabinet and hung a 36 inch tv and it works great. Never used the sink, and the fridge is nothing but a pop holder. The area stores beach stuff when the door is closed. Beyond that I have a friend who uses the mess out of his, they never eat inside. Unlike my wife and kids.

Its your call, but remember you may buy things on your camper now which make it an easy sale for down the road.
2016 Jayco TT Triple slide 33RBTS
2016 Chevy Tahoe

massspike

• ---
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 02:37:28 PM »
All the time. In 2 years we have only turned an inside stove burner on once. I do all the cooking and prefer to be outside while camping.

We have a basic OK...small fridge (for drinks), 2 burner stove, and sink. I have a standalone gas BBQ as well. The kitchen has storage for all the cooking utensils, oils, spices, etc. so I just need to access the inside for food and pots/pans. I made the latter easier to get at by modifying my TT...it has a storage area in the island accessible from outside (thru the main door) so I reversed the door on the cabinet and now can open it while standing outside the TT and get to the rest of the cookware when I need it.

OBX

• ---
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 02:55:24 PM »
We have a slide out stove not a true kitchen.  We use it for bacon and burgers.  We use our indoor stove but not for the really smokey or greasy/splattering stuff.

martin2340

• ---
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 03:56:18 PM »
An outdoor kitchen was high on DW list of must haves. In 4 years I think we cooked inside twice as it was too miserable outside or too cold I can't remember. DW just doesn't like the smell of bacon lingering for hours, the grease that attaches to the walls and ceiling over time, the moisture from boiling water for pasta or anything else, the heat built up from the propane and lastly the cleanup inside. I do all of the cooking and prefer to be outside. The sink outside is used to rinse the dirty dishes if any as we use paper, and the small fridge keeps pop, and condiments, cheese for burgers etc. so as not to run back and forth into TT. I also have a 3 burner portable stove from Costco with 2 heavy cast iron griddles for boiling water, breakfast items and everything else.
Joe & Mari from Sanatoga PA
2010 F-150 Lariat 4X4 Heavy Duty Tow package(gone 7-17)
2017 F-250 Lariat 4X4 6.7 turbo diesel
2014 Sunset Trail 32rl
2002 Pearl White Road King Classic
Homebase: SE PA Sanatoga I can see the Limerick Power Plant from here

ksbowman

• ---
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 08:44:59 PM »
We have a fold down stove and prep top. When we first got it I noticed a soft spot inside. The stove when folded down broke the seal and it leaked at the top. I repaired the floor and resealed. When I use the stove I always let it down easy and don't let it flop. Always check it once or twice a year to make sure it is sealed.

Dawgfever

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 09:41:30 PM »
Thanks all.   Looks like a GD 307MKS w/OK is in our future
2012 F-350, 6.7, LWB, CC, SWR

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 12:18:16 PM »
We have an outdoor "kitchenette" as I like to call it - 2 burner stove, no cabinets (only a shelf), very small fridge, and a sink with hot & cold water but no drain (i.e. the "sink" is useless..I've never used it). It was in the floor plan we loved and I do use it a bit but we would have bought the same camper without the kitchen.

We still had our popup, and camped in a site that was so out of level the rear of the little short pup was almost unreachable....It dawned on my that had we been in long TT with an outdoor kitchen I would have needed a ladder to get to it.

Like this?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:21:11 PM by Joezeppy »
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L gasser
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

butchiiii

• ---
  • A day RVing is better than a Great day at work!
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 01:32:50 PM »
 :) :) :) :)
Butch & Joanna
Ram 2015 Reg Cab 1500
2015 Keystone Passport 2890RL

blw2

• ---
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 01:50:18 PM »
exactly! ;D
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
'06 Silverado
former tent campers

blw2

• ---
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 01:53:03 PM »
Is that you?

Yeah, I'll bet you were wishing instead for that cavernous storage compartment in that spot, completely stocked a with portable coleman stove, a Weber grille, and portable folding table!
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
'06 Silverado
former tent campers

E5Jake

• ---
  • Saginaw, MI
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 03:13:17 PM »
Yes, we use ours every time we camp. It was one of the deciding factors in our purchase. The outside refrigerator provides valuable extra space that the inside refrigerator can't. It is mainly for beer, water, pop, and condiments but can fit food for the grill (ours is larger than the little cube style fridges). The outside sink is also very handy when you need to wash up after grilling or anything else. We also have a nice size storage cabinet that we keep all sorts of "outside" things in, and it also has a portable Coleman grill. All of these things keep us from going in and out of the camper whenever we want something to drink or want to prepare a meal.

Could we live without it? Yes. It happens to work very well in our current floor plan (24' couples camper with rear bathroom and dinette slide), but if we were to upgrade to a larger floor plan, maybe a 5er, I could do without. But for now, it works very well for us.
Chad and Tina
2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 231 RBDS
2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4, 5.3L Max Trailering Package

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 03:17:15 PM »

Is that you?

LOL - yup, that's me. This was about a year ago out in the NY Finger Lakes. The site was actually very level but only from the hitch to the rear axle and then it dropped right off. It was a terribly rainy weekend so I couldn't have really used the stove anyway but took the pic to send to my buddies. Did all the cooking on the Coleman NXT200 under the awning. At least the outdoor fridge still worked!
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L gasser
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

BobX2

• ---
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 04:03:05 PM »
Don't see any reason to have two kitchens in one trailer. Waste of valuable storage space inside. Outdoor cooking is done on the grill in our camp.
2009 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL

Danny Pyle

• ---
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 05:13:53 AM »
We love ours, it's nice to have the extra fridge space and outside sink.
2017 Z-1 231FB
Chandlersville, Oh.
2017 Ford F-250 Supercab 6.2L

martin2340

• ---
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 09:33:59 AM »
BobX2
I agree with Danny Pyle on this one. It is nice to have a sink outside and also a fridge to store condiments and refreshments. I hardly ever use outside stove. As far as valuable storage space inside I am not sure what you mean. My outside kitchen does not take up any indoor space as it is located under the kitchen appliances, below the stove/oven. The second portion of my outside kitchen takes up about 8" behind my inside entertainment center and folds down to a working table top, a TV which can be faced outside, and some storage pockets for paper products, cooking utensils, spices etc.
So unless you have never had one you would not miss it but for those of us that do and use it frequently we love it
2014 Sunset Trail 32rl

Sprucegum

• ---
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 11:19:58 AM »
The floor plan we wanted came with an outdoor kitchen. I removed the fridge because it was 120 volt only and we boon dock on 12 volt. Then I decided to go all the way and removed the entire slide out sink and drawer paraphernalia. We now have a large storage compartment which holds all our outdoor cooking gear  8)
2014 Navion 24V on Mercedes Sprinter Chassis (SOLD)
Ready to roll after 9 years camping in one spot
F-150 TV
Shasta Revere 25BH

martin2340

• ---
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2017, 02:33:37 PM »
So either way Sprucegum you came out OK with options for that outside kitchen and without it would be lugging things in and out of TT. That is the one thing lacking outside storage for cooking gear. I have a large rubber tub that I store under the TT but that is a bear lugging around as I use mostly cast iron, pans, griddles etc.
You are right about the fridge being 110 as it can't be used during travel or boondocking but I would miss the outside sink as I am always washing my hands while cooking and handling various meats. The stove I could do without.
2014 Sunset Trail 32rl

jesseo715

• ---
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 08:26:04 PM »
We only cook inside when absolutely necessary. Unless it's pouring rain, the outdoor kitchen is our kitchen.
2018 Winnebago Winnie Drop 170K
2010 Honda Ridgeline RTL

jesseo715

• ---
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 08:33:23 PM »
Our motorhome came with a gas grill that attaches to the side of the camper - it went to the dump with the box unopened.

:oWell that sure is wasteful.
2018 Winnebago Winnie Drop 170K
2010 Honda Ridgeline RTL

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2017, 07:25:20 AM »
I'll bet most of you who rave about the oudoor kitchen don't full time. We cook in the kitchen and usually eat inside as well. Different strokes. ;D

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2017, 01:27:51 PM »
We don't full time, but have camphosted months at a time. When we didn't have a built-in outdoor kitchen, we kinda made one, but still didn't have a sink. Yes, we still used our indoor kitchen too.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

martin2340

• ---
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2017, 10:33:16 AM »
I'll bet most of you who rave about the oudoor kitchen don't full time. We cook in the kitchen and usually eat inside as well. Different strokes. ;D

Ernie
You are absolutely correct in that assumption Ernie. I camp maybe 4-5 full weeks usually 1 at a time and possibly 10 additional weekends throughout the year. I figure I cook inside and eat inside in the sticks and bricks enough and look forward to spending as much time outside as possible. With retirement coming up in a few years I may my change my mind when that happens.
2014 Sunset Trail 32rl

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2017, 12:11:09 PM »
We have made the transition from weekend and vacation folks to retirees in the last two years. The transition was not what we expected. We now travel 2/3 of the time, with many trips being 4-5 weeks long. When we were working, we "camped" even with the trailer. By the use of that term I mean we mostly cooked and ate outside, sat outside around a fire most nights, etc. When we took our first kind-of-a-snowbird trip we started out using the fire pit and sitting outside a lot. Turns out we were the only ones doing it! January and February in southern Utah and Arizona belongs to long termers who don't do much of that. We now say we mostly just live in our trailer. Sometimes we still "camp", mostly when we are with others who aren't retired yet, but mostly we just live. That means cooking and eating inside most of the time, watching television, etc. pretty much like in the sticks and bricks, but in lovely, moveable locations with lots to do during the day. I think it is just a normal transition according to others I have talked to.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

Hosted by Over The Network