Outdoor Kitchen- do you use yours?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BobX2
I agree with Danny Pyle on this one. It is nice to have a sink outside and also a fridge to store condiments and refreshments. I hardly ever use outside stove. As far as valuable storage space inside I am not sure what you mean. My outside kitchen does not take up any indoor space as it is located under the kitchen appliances, below the stove/oven. The second portion of my outside kitchen takes up about 8" behind my inside entertainment center and folds down to a working table top, a TV which can be faced outside, and some storage pockets for paper products, cooking utensils, spices etc.
So unless you have never had one you would not miss it but for those of us that do and use it frequently we love it

The floor plan we wanted came with an outdoor kitchen. I removed the fridge because it was 120 volt only and we boon dock on 12 volt. Then I decided to go all the way and removed the entire slide out sink and drawer paraphernalia. We now have a large storage compartment which holds all our outdoor cooking gear  8)

So either way Sprucegum you came out OK with options for that outside kitchen and without it would be lugging things in and out of TT. That is the one thing lacking outside storage for cooking gear. I have a large rubber tub that I store under the TT but that is a bear lugging around as I use mostly cast iron, pans, griddles etc.
You are right about the fridge being 110 as it can't be used during travel or boondocking but I would miss the outside sink as I am always washing my hands while cooking and handling various meats. The stove I could do without.

We only cook inside when absolutely necessary. Unless it's pouring rain, the outdoor kitchen is our kitchen.

HappyWanderer said:
Our motorhome came with a gas grill that attaches to the side of the camper - it went to the dump with the box unopened.

:eek:Well that sure is wasteful.

I'll bet most of you who rave about the oudoor kitchen don't full time. We cook in the kitchen and usually eat inside as well. Different strokes. ;D

Ernie

We don't full time, but have camphosted months at a time. When we didn't have a built-in outdoor kitchen, we kinda made one, but still didn't have a sink. Yes, we still used our indoor kitchen too.

Ernie n Tara said:
I'll bet most of you who rave about the oudoor kitchen don't full time. We cook in the kitchen and usually eat inside as well. Different strokes. ;D

Ernie
You are absolutely correct in that assumption Ernie. I camp maybe 4-5 full weeks usually 1 at a time and possibly 10 additional weekends throughout the year. I figure I cook inside and eat inside in the sticks and bricks enough and look forward to spending as much time outside as possible. With retirement coming up in a few years I may my change my mind when that happens.

We have made the transition from weekend and vacation folks to retirees in the last two years. The transition was not what we expected. We now travel 2/3 of the time, with many trips being 4-5 weeks long. When we were working, we "camped" even with the trailer. By the use of that term I mean we mostly cooked and ate outside, sat outside around a fire most nights, etc. When we took our first kind-of-a-snowbird trip we started out using the fire pit and sitting outside a lot. Turns out we were the only ones doing it! January and February in southern Utah and Arizona belongs to long termers who don't do much of that. We now say we mostly just live in our trailer. Sometimes we still "camp", mostly when we are with others who aren't retired yet, but mostly we just live. That means cooking and eating inside most of the time, watching television, etc. pretty much like in the sticks and bricks, but in lovely, moveable locations with lots to do during the day. I think it is just a normal transition according to others I have talked to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom