Neighborhood HOA RV/Boat storage lot done right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blw2

Do you have any examples of a RV/Boat storage lot in a neighborhood done right?  Photos even better....

I have an idea of how, with enough folks interested, our neighborhood could put one in.  Negative Nellies though keep throwing back that it will look junky, that it will not add value.  My response is that yes, that could be true, but not necessarily....
I want to tell them that they have to be smarter than the junk pile.... but I bite my lip on that one...

We have a big open ugly field of weeds now that is never used.  The problem is that it's up by the community pool, but I have an idea that a small fraction of it back next to the woods could be fenced off, with several tiers of trees and bushes screening it.... some up close to the fence, more away from it.  I figure it could be done so that it's barely seen, and it wouldn't have to be some fancy paved and lit thing either...  I figure it would add value to everyone's property even as a re-sale amenity....and I figure it could likely be done, with enough interested folks splitting the cost, at no cost to the HOA or to uninterested individuals.  Ongoing costs would likely be negligible, and if it was decided to charge a small fee for use it might even help to pay for a tennis court or some such thing eventually out in front of it providing even more screening!

There are other locations where it could work too, but they would all be much more expensive...

We have a few RV'ers and several folks with boats in the neighborhood.  Problem is I don't know them all so I don't know exactly how many there are or how many of them would be interested.... and I don't know how many folks have thought about buying a boat or RV if only they had a place to keep it.

I know that it's an idea that will never fly, but I would love to find a photo of something that looks nice, that could be a real value add.  A project done right.  I posted the idea on the communities facebook page and the negative nellies are really dragging it down posting photos of junky looking extremes...  I'd just love to post a counter to it...something more realistic to what it 'could' be

why should all the people who don't have or want a rv or boat subsidize the ones that do ? sounds like a up hill battle to me. if this was in place when the subdivision was built everybody would understand.
if this was tried in my neighbor hood everybody would be on the phone to their lawyer including me. put the shoe on the other foot.

Our RV/boat/trailer/junk/garbage lot looks like crap.  Old cars, a pontoon boat that is 5 years out of date on the license, and the list goes on.  Fortunately it can't be seen from any of the houses.  Plus, the spaces are only about 10' wide.

beaverfever said:
why should all the people who don't have or want a rv or boat subsidize the ones that do ? sounds like a up hill battle to me. if this was in place when the subdivision was built everybody would understand.
if this was tried in my neighbor hood everybody would be on the phone to their lawyer including me. put the shoe on the other foot.

That's why my thought is that only the initial users would pay.  The HOA wouldn't pay, nor would the individuals.  They could just reap the benefit if they later choose.

wackymac said:
Our RV/boat/trailer/junk/garbage lot looks like crap.  Old cars, a pontoon boat that is 5 years out of date on the license, and the list goes on.  Fortunately it can't be seen from any of the houses.  Plus, the spaces are only about 10' wide.

Yeah, that's the real possibilty..and the fear.  But I think it could be done in a better way.

I plan to move to Vegas in a year or two to be closer to my son and grandson.  Daughter and grand daughter would move with us.  One item very high on my "Must Have" list for our new residence is a place to park an RV, either on my property or on an included lot.

Within the HOA guidelines for the use of this lot, include a requirement that all units parked here must have current license / registration AND be moved off the site for at least 30 days each year, not necessary all at once.  All parking done by permit from HOA so HOA knows who owns what.  Unauthorized units parked over 10 days become property of HOA and will be towed / sold / scrapped by HOA.

I believe there is a condo association in Boulder, NV that has on site RV parking.  I can check further if it would help you.

this thing will likely never fly. The facebook thread turned nasty today.  I thought I was in the adult discussion section, but I see now otherwise.... 
My neighbors these are.... embarrassing really.....:-[

but yes, I think it would be a must have for me too now.  It's sad really, because unless you really were to let it go to a trash heap, it seeems like to any buyer it would either be a desirable ammenity or a neutral thing that does not matter to them.  Really doesn't strike me that it would be a negative to anyone.... unless of course it was the trash heap and not set up well to begin with maybe....

Regardless, I still would like to find some example photos of it done right... just for future reference.

Those are some great points grashley to keep in mind.  thanks.  The only thing I might take exception to is the moving 30 days thing.  Seems to me that rules like that are completely impossible to monitor or enforce.  I do think that registering them with the HOA would be a great thing to do....for tracking purposes and so on.  I like the idea of keeping things simple though.... but definitely need a way to know who it belongs to.  I think I'd suggest putting one of those tow away zone signs up too.  Basically anything abandoned gets towed at owner's expense.  Also, if it were to ever fly, I think I would suggest not having any monthly rent program.  Just seems like it would be another problem...who's collecting, who's chasing missed payments, etc.... or if there was a nominal rent, keep it honor system only and just to not even bother with debt collections and such....

Put it out of the way and out of sight seems like a great beginning of a plan for thieves.  Why break into one if you can break into 20?  If you charge the people for lights, cameras, upkeep, fencing, and entry system, why not just put it in a secured lot and pay the rent?  It doesn't sound like this is paved?  That is a lot of EPA concern with leaking oils and gas.

I live in a HOA and really would have little to no tolerance if it was close to my house. I would vote against it and I own a motorhome.

I don't think the board can let you just do it. I think you may have a covenant change that will require a full vote. After all, the HOA will now be responsible for a parking lot and all the rules and liability that goes with that ownership.

We have just what you're talking about, and yes, it is a huge amenity for us. Our community has a section of RV homes with attached RV garages, but the majority of our community are regular homes. So, for those of us without the RV garage, having covered storage, with electric, within our community is a huge plus. It's just a golf cart ride away. We have 60 slots that are full....no vacancies. There also are non-covered slots that rent for around $55.00-$60.00 per month with no electric.

I will try to get pictures and post, but I'm afraid that's above my pay grade, so no promises. LOL

Our structure is steel beams with steel decking, so it went through Irma with no problems. It is not paved nor are there lights. We call it "the barn". We pay $140.00 month plus metered electric, which is around $30.00 a month. It is in a maintenance area that is not seen from the road or houses and is gated, so only RV owners who store there and maintenance workers can enter. Our community entrances are guard-gated, and we have security riding through the neighborhoods.

Finding covered storage in our area isn't easy. There is little to none, and the ones we have don't have metered electric, plus the rent is $200.00 per month. Having storage within your community would be really, really nice, but it looks like you're in a losing battle, and I'm afraid the costs to build it well to withstand a hurricane might be prohibitive. And, that isn't taking into account zoning changes, etc. We weren't here in 2004 when Charley came through, but the covered storage that was here then was aluminum. It didn't make it through Charley as well as some coaches that were stored there. When they rebuilt it, they built it well, but I'm sure it wasn't cheap.

Brad, I have some pictures, but I have no clue how to get them on here. If you'll give me instructions, I'll be glad to post, or pm me with your email, and I
can send them to you that way.

When you do your reply click on attachments and other options  then click on Attach choose file

We live in an HOA community on a lake that has had a gated and locked boat and boat trailer storage lot for years.  Since more and more comunity residents were purchasing RVs, the area was recently expanded to allow for a line of pull through RV spots as well as back in spots along the periphery.  Fees are charged for this storage, dependent on the area of the lot not dissimilar to an RV campground, and these fees have covered the operating expenses.  Since we have strict rules about having trailers, boats or RVs in driveways, this lot makes it convenient for all, and has become a valuable amenity.

I tried to post 11 photos, but only the last one posted. Trying again...

Attachments

• RV sstorage 1.jpg
    RV sstorage 1.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 41
  • RV storage 2.jpg
    RV storage 2.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 32
  • RV storage 3.jpg
    RV storage 3.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 32
  • RV storage 4.jpg
    RV storage 4.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 27
  • RV storage 5.jpg
    RV storage 5.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 31
  • RV storage 6.jpg
    RV storage 6.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 30
  • RV storage 7.jpg
    RV storage 7.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 32
  • RV storage 8.jpg
    RV storage 8.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 31
  • RV storage 9.jpg
    RV storage 9.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 30
  • RV storage 10.jpg
    RV storage 10.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 32
Hey, that is awesome!!!  I'm completely jealous

What I guess I didn't clarify, but what I was really looking for, were examples of "nicely hidden" lots.  Simple lots hidden by landscaping that are well hidden and look nice.... showing how well they could be hidden

Yours is a whole other level.  I'd love to have the option of just an unimproved place to park near my house, let alone that steel barn.  Wow.

I currently pay $45 for an offsite and unimproved field with no security, no power...well there is a pole with a service outlet... I have to drive about 15 minutes from home to get there.  A lot of folks pay North of $100 around here for commercially operated yards with electric gates and such.
I was dreaming about nothing more really than what I have, but that would be close. I'd love to see it available at a much lower nominal monthly rate, or even just "free" since I can't imagine ongoing costs would be all that much...but I would be willing to pay something since it would be gold to have it so close....

Actually, some of the pictures show some of the parking sites with a thick hedgerow, which looks like it would block views of the storage area. I can barely see a rooftop over the top of the trees. Super nice facility! Although living in a subdivision is not my thing, I can't imagine why a neighborhood would object to a nice storage facility for homeowners. That said, just to have a lot somewhere to park stuff conjures images in my mind of an overgrown mess, and if it was proposed to be anywhere near MY house I would probably not be happy.

Yeah, i don't disagree.... Just as I can imagine ways for it to be done really well, I can also imagine many ways to make it a nightmare.  I've seen a few of those. 
I wanted to say to some of the negative folks on facebook that "you have to be smarter than the junk pile"......but thought that might come off as being just like them...insulting  ::)

I think the biggest long term headache I can see is management of it.  Debt collections, abandoned things, etc...  followed by potential crime perhaps...
I think the management problems are mostly easily addressed by keeping it simple
...either have no payment over and above the normal HOA payment structure
or just have it very nominal and if someone misses don't sweat it.  Honor system seems to keep a lot of the stress out of it...
If the only requirement is that every unit is tagged so the owner can be identified, then if someone moves away and abandons an old hulk of a boat you'll know who's it was and know that they are gone.... call the towing salvage company and let them deal with it... keep it simple
Crime, well... I'd likely hide a few game cameras....and just park at my own risk....

Back
Top Bottom