Fly fishing Little Greys WY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Had a nice day fly fishing for trout with Tim Lassen in the Little Greys River near Alpine Junction, WY. It's a long drive on rough (teeth chattering) USFS  roads, but great pools, runs and scenery. From Alpine, take Greys River Road, follow the Greys River and turn left where the Little Greys comes in.

Flies: Elk hair caddis; Grasshoppers.

This time of year, hunters are moving into the area and setting up camp. But they were not an issue.

How much was the license? 

Friend of mine went to Montana fishing  last month and didn't get a license....guess who caught him. Big fine.

WY daily non-resident license is $14. Last year I bought an annual license and IIRC it was $100. Nearby ID licenses have a similar price. One of the two states offers a price reduction for a second consecutive day purchased at the same time. Licenses for both states can be purchased online or at local retailers.

Grew up fly fishing in Pennsylvania during the 50's and early 60's. License was $2.25 and good anywhere in the state for any kind of fish. Still have all my tackle from those days.

I just recently checked Pennsylvania's fishing laws and now it's a nightmare.  Too many people sitting in Ivory towers creating laws.

The good old days.

I grew up fly fishing in Wales, UK. All fishing rights were/are owned by our angling club, of which I was granted a lifetime membership (no further annual dues). I've fished there on visits, but it still requires a county fishing license.

I still have my first fly fishing rod (14th birthday present); Split cane, and it's in mint condition, but hasn't had much use for the last 35 years. Also still have my surf fishing reel. Didn't keep/bring any of the other equipment, some of which I wish I still had.

Stopped by a local fishing shop today to stock up on elk hair caddis. They had exactly one caddis in the shop. The owner said "a guy came in a few days ago and bought (almost) everything we had". Stopped at a fly shop in another town and found some. I might need to break out the fly tying gear; I have it all on board, but haven't tied any flies in a long time.

How much are dry flies going for now?

Small caddis were $1.99 in one store and $2.75 in another. I've looked at them on amazon and see a range of prices. Typically, they are sold (on amazon) in "sets" containing several different sizes, which is not what I want.

Do you ever fish wet flies?

I've often fished a beaded nymph, but not in these waters. (I might try it one day.)

Today I found another 'local' fly shop that was totally out of caddis. Called in another shop, and they had plenty in different sizes. Cost was $1.75 each, irrespective of size.

Fished with a guy who used to "Match the hatch"  He brought his fly tying stuff with him and would tie a fly to match what was currently hatching on the stream.

Arch Hoagland said:
Fished with a guy who used to "Match the hatch"  He brought his fly tying stuff with him and would tie a fly to match what was currently hatching on the stream.

For many years I've matched the visual hatch. I'm not an entymologist, but will often (try to) match what I see on/coming off the water.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom