Class B+ suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karfxr

Hi, My wife and I are looking to get into a little bigger RV. We recently purchased a 2004 Pleasure Way Excel TD and absolutely love it other then we realized after a recent 3 week road trip it isn't quite big enough. Looking at getting into something like a B+ in the 28 - 30 ft range with the queen bed, full shower, dinette, sofa, larger refrigerator, etc. I also really like the idea of 2 slides. I have looked on line at the Gulf Stream BT Cruisers and like the way they are set up. Prices seem reasonable to get into a 2006 -2008 model but after reading some of the reviews on line I'm concerned about the quality of these units. Does anyone on the forums have any thoughts regarding the Gulf Streams or suggestions on other manufactures that are similar in their layout?
Thanks.

Note that "B+" is a fake RV class, invented by Gulfstream for marketing purposes. A B+ is 100% a Class C, per the RVIA.

There are other C's in the 24+ foot size range, gas and diesel. The quality is pretty much the same on all units in that size range and using a van chassis to carry it. The quality is driven pretty much by the price that people are willing to pay for that size & type of RV.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Note that "B+" is a fake RV class, invented by Gulfstream for marketing purposes. A B+ is 100% a Class C, per the RVIA.

There are other C's in the 24+ foot size range, gas and diesel. The quality is pretty much the same on all units in that size range and using a van chassis to carry it. The quality is driven pretty much by the price that people are willing to pay for that size & type of RV.

It does serve a marketing purpose because a B+ does not the have the cabover bed of a C. Cs are better for families with kids, or if you what a real short rig where the only real bed is the cab over. But the B+ is nice for couples because it does have the large front cabover overhand of the windshield.

I have owned a couple of camper vans on Ford and GMC van bodies from the 80's and early 90's that were roughly the same size as the  2004 Pleasure Way Excel TD you now have (about 20 ft bumper to bumper), one of which I used as a daily driver for a few months back in the late 1990's.  After more than a decade without an RV I bought a small class A last year, specifically a 28 ft (29'5" bumper to bumper) 2002 Safari Trek 2830 like the one in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqDAGm4LEJ0  (note there are several wrong statements by the salesman, including the length).    While I love the amount of living space and cargo / tankage capacity the Trek has, as well as the fact that it can fit into many places where one can not go in a larger coach, it is in no way nearly as manoeuvrable as the camper vans I have owned in the past, and in no way would I ever consider using it as a daily driver.

I say this not to talk you out of getting something in the 30 ft range, I just want you to be aware that the travel experience even in something on the lower end of your size range will be far more limiting in places that you can go, ability to find parking, etc.  The average big box store parking space is 9x22 ft, many places have parking spaces that are smaller than this often in the 8.5 x 19 ft range.    In the case of my Trek, I can still sometimes almost squeeze into a single space if I back in and overhang the curb, but this is sort of like a 400 pound man squeezing into a coach airline seat, there is a certain amount of overflow around the edges given the total width including mirrors stretches out to just over 10 ft, (98.5 inches exterior wall to wall) and even backed in like this the front bumper sticks out past the end of the parking space stripes.    Then of course there are the issues of turning radius, wheel cut and tail swing getting in and out of such a position if pulling straight forward in not allowed due to spacing to the next aisle.

To give you a visual idea  here is a photo I took in a museum parking lot in central Kansas on my return trip home from Wyoming last month.
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=108732.0;attach=116369

p.s. regardless if B+ is some ones accepted term or not, I think we all know what someone is talking about when they say B+ vs saying C without an overhead bunk, so I see nothing wrong with the term.    Though I feel that C without an bunk, does describe something a bit different than what I picture when I hear B+, as there are many C's with a bunk space over the cab that has been converted to be used as an entertainment center, storage, etc. and in my mind does not make them a B+ as they still have that over cab bunk like space, just without a bed there.

We had two Lazy Daze Class C motorhomes so they were of similar quality and design.  The 22 footer had the traditional Class C overhang with a nice queen size bed which was the primary sleeping area.  The 30 footer had a rear bedroom and its front overhang had an entertainment center in the middle with huge storage areas on each side.  The 22' overhang restricted visibility when sitting and driving.  The 30' overhang had the same visibility issue but more inside walking space which made getting in/out of the front seats easier.  Tradeoffs!  We loved them both though.  Each one of them had exactly one factory defect and neither was serious.  The 22 footer had a hot water line connected to the toilet (!) instead of cold water which we fixed on the way home by talking to LD on the phone.  The 30 footer had an underbay leak that was fixed while we took an overseas business trip.  Lazy Daze is a family owned business and we've known them since about 1970.  Many of their employees are second- and now third- generation of the same family.

ArdraF

We are Phoenix Cruiser owners also and highly recommend them. The owner, Kermit, recently sold the company, but we were assured that the outstanding service and quality will remain the same.
Our first RV and coming from the hardcore camping world, they were the greatest people to work with. Customize what you want, add or delete whatever. Their quality and personal touch is the best.
Our only regret is that we hadn't done the transition earlier.

Back
Top Bottom