What type of power steering pump do I have

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grayghost69

I have a 1977 Winnebago Sportsman den, with a 350 ci engine.  My power steering pump locked up and snapped the belt, luckily we had just arrived home from camping.  I took a look at the pump but I am not familiar with it, nor was I was to find a fluid reservoir.  Based on some basic research, it appears that it users the same reservoir as the brake system, which I find very weird. but anyway.  Also a connection with two hoses that seem to come from the engine disconnected on the back of the pump, not sure what this was for, it seemed to provide hot air to the system, not sure why.  Anyway, can anyone tell me what type of pump this is so that I can replace it. Thanks

it sounds like you are working on the smog pump not the power steering pump.

On that vintage motor they added an air pump to meet emission standards.  It actually didn't reduce the emissions.  They added air to the exhaust stream so that the ppm went down. If you don't have emission inspections in your state you can remove it and install a shorter belt.

Actually, using the power steering pump for the brakes is not unusual at all. It's called a "hydro-boost" system, and the power steering pump and fluid are used to boost brake performance instead of a vacuum booster. Since the boost and power steering are both hydraulic systems, using the single pump makes sense. Quite common on gas motorhomes and some trucks. You would know pretty quickly if the power steering pump froze up since you would lose the steering assistance. And the brake boost as well with a hydro-boost system. A failed air pump could go unnoticed for a long time as long as it kept on spinning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom