Small LP tank usage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVRAC

I am new with this MH.  This will be my first winter in the south with it. I am leaving in a couple weeks.  I would like to use a small outside lp tank connected to it while spending many weeks on the same site.  This will reserved the propane in the bigger tank.  It would be easier to fill the smaller tank.  What do I need to use to connect it?  Would it shift automatically to the bigger tank when the smaller outside one is empty?  How well would it work?

extend a stay unit is what you're looking for. They work great, but, when you hook up the external tank, you have to turn off the coach tank, (if you don't, they will equalize) and when you need to refill the portable, you have to turn on the coach tank. A minor inconvenience when you figure  you don't need to break camp to refill propane.

Attachments

• extend a stay.jpg
    extend a stay.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 42
We use the mentioned "Extend-A-Stay" with a 30 lb cylinder on longer stops. Other than an occasional 3AM trip outside to switch tanks in colder weather, it has worked quite well for us and sure beats breaking camp to go get the onboard tank refilled. There are other names for similar setups, such as the "Stay a While" and the "Stay Longer". Amazon lists all three devices...

Back when I bought this ride Marshall Brass still made the Extend-a-stay.

Today Marshall Brass is out of that line but you can get one called Stay-A-While if I am not mistaken

Walk into most any RV dealer and ask for the "Extend-a-stay" and they will show you to the right product... Or odds are darn good they will.

Features
It inserts between the Main tank and the regulator.. You turn off gas, disconnect regulator from tank, attach Extend-a-Stay, then re-attach regulator to Extend-a-stay.. These may still be Presto-o-lite connections (Also known as PUT ON LEFT because they are left handed thread)..

It has a small "Plug" you remove and attach a hose (included) that hooks to your spare tank.

NOTE: Do remove hose and replace plug when not using spare tank please.

IT also has a cap over a larger fitting, this fitting is identical to the top of a "Throw-a-way" propane bottle.. and the unit may come with a 10 foot hose with matching ends.. This is to power a grill or other propane device off the motor home tank.

Very nice

Contains check valves to prevent gas from one tank entering another.

I made/built my own "extend-a-stay, since my main tank is mounted in the middle of the frame. I put a tee in place of a 90 and extended a pipe with a gas cock and flare fitting on it to edge of the motorhome, just ahead of the rear wheels.

Thank you for your responses.  I looked in Amazon and saw three different brands: Marshall, Camco and Sturgi.  Does any one of these brands better than the other?  Does it make any difference?

If you go with any of these products, BE SURE that the "adapter" is plumbed in between the on board tank shut off valve and the regulator, NOT after the regulator. This ensures that the propane coming from the "unregulated" tank goes through a regulator otherwise you will have major problems.

I had a leaking valve on the extend-a-stay that was installed on my coach when I bought it, and ended up replacing it with a Sturgis-Stay QD model, the quick disconnects do make setting up a lot easier.  So far I have used mine exclusively as a connection point for my BBQ grill, not with an external propane tank.

Georgie Boy,

There are about 3 inched between the shut off valve of the tank and the regulator.  I don't think it will fit there.  The only place to put it is before the regulator, between the line going up and the regulator.  Are you saying not to go ahead with it?

You need to put the Extend-A-Stay between the tank and the regulator, even if it means moving the regulator to make room for it.

Pressure on the tank side of the regulator is around 100-125 PSI.  The regulator reduces this to approx. 0.5 PSI to feed your appliances.

Don't put a 100 PSI Extend-A-Stay adapter on the 0.5 PSI side of the regulator.  :eek:

Lou Schneider said:
You need to put the Extend-A-Stay between the tank and the regulator, even if it means moving the regulator to make room for it.

Pressure on the tank side of the regulator is around 100-125 PSI.  The regulator reduces this to approx. 0.5 PSI to feed your appliances.

Don't put a 100 PSI Extend-A-Stay adapter on the 0.5 PSI side of the regulator.  :eek:

And the way most of these devices are constructed with male/female POL fittings, it isn't easy to get it wrong. Although I'm sure some have tried to... ;)

Excited to see this post. I have been toying with this idea since I bought the Beast! So much easier to pick up a small bottle than to break camp to fill up. Good to know the system exists if I decide to go this route.

Back
Top Bottom