12V battery dead, lost 110v power?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fman

Ok I came home today and it was raining and wasn't sure if my closed the rv windows. I go outside and my stairs don't extend. Warning flag goes up. I try to start the RV and the battery is dead. The RV is plugged into the house every time it's parked. Outlet from the outside of the house is 20amp on it's own circuit. Batteries always remained at full charge. So I try and start the RV and the 12V is totally dead. No clicking or anything. I did run the radio a couple of weeks back on ACC switch but did start the RV afterwards and let it run for about 10 minutes after I completed the work I was doing. All 110v items are working while plugged into the house. I unplug from the house. I hook up a 12v deep charger to the 12V engine battery and after a couple of minutes all the 12V items come to life. I start the genny and all the 110v items will not power on at all. Generator starts with no problems and runs like a champ.
So I'm wondering if hooking up the charger causes the 110V system to not power anything? Could this be a safety thing? Are there anything else I should be looking at? All breakers are not tripped.

Disregard. Brain Fart. Unplugged Gen from house but did not plug 110V wire into gen. 110V works. 12V System is on trickle charge. I do wonder why the 12v battery did not charge off the house though?

It is quite common that chassis batteries do not charge from the converter.  You can install a Trik-L-Start to remedy this shortcoming.

I as well purchased and recommend a Trik-L-Start and it worked very well. Not that expensive either.

Bill

John From Detroit said:
Check house outlet.. Outdoor outlets are supposed to be GFCI protected. you mentioned Rain.

John, the OP found the problem. Operator error. Thankfully.

House outlet is good. In fact installed  it brand new a in July because there was no outlet on that side of the house and it's where I park the RV. Best part about that is the panel box is 2ft below the outlet on that side of the house so it was a super easy 30 min install. Was very happy to have the RV on it's own 20 amp circuit. Just went outside and she starts up. Everything works, charger is doing it's job. Prob just gonna need a new battery soon. Still I know enough that RV's are like boat's. As fun as they are if you don't nip a problem ASAP you end up or could end up with a bigger problem. I've been stranded in boats before but at least even a small boat can tow you back, stranded with a RV I can imagine is a whole other nightmare.

So I looked into the Trik-L-Start, they are cheap enough I'm going to buy one. Thanks for replying everyone. Still learning as I go and when it comes to electrical stuff I'm quicker to ask a question even if I boob up the brain once in a while. I don't want to fry anything, start a fire or kill myself or someone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom