No power in my fifth wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K8lynn

I bought a used 1992 layton celebrity editon 5th wheel model number 3455 pluged it in and everything worked fine. Then i had a electrician make a new outlet for it to plug into and plugged it into that and everything worked for 30 mins or so and then everything turned off and wont work at all now.theres still power in the new outlet but none in the 5th wheel.im a absoult newbie so dont know whats wrong. Tried to find the wiring diagram for it but no luck.please if anybody has any sugestions that would be a major help! Thanks in advance.

Oh no!!. Did the electrician wire it up top a 240 volt circuit. If he did, many of the items in the RV are toast. A 30 AMP RV runs off 110 volt AC. We hear this happening a lot. The electrician wires it up like a welder which is 240 Volts.

Put another way - if the electrician doesn't understand RV electrical systems he/she can make a serious mistake which is very costly for the owner.

ArdraF

The OP said everything was fine for 30 MINUTES, so I doubt it was the classic 240V fiasco.

RVs have essentially two power systems.  The 12VDC system powers most lights, TV, stereo, appliance control circuit boards, slide motors, etc.  This power comes from the house batteries which are charged by the converter (120VAC -->12VDC) when plugged into "shore power".  These circuits are protected by automotive style fuses.

The 120VAC comes from shore power or a generator.  In some cases, an inverter (12VDC -->120VAC) can supply limited 120V power.  This powers major loads like microwave, A/C, hair drier or anything plugged into 120V outlets.  There is an electric panel with household style circuit breakers to protect these circuits.

Depending on what is not working, check the fuse or circuit breakers.

grashley said:
The OP said everything was fine for 30 MINUTES, so I doubt it was the classic 240V fiasco.

RVs have essentially two power systems.  The 12VDC system powers most lights, TV, stereo, appliance control circuit boards, slide motors, etc.  This power comes from the house batteries which are charged by the converter (120VAC -->12VDC) when plugged into "shore power".  These circuits are protected by automotive style fuses.

The 120VAC comes from shore power or a generator.  In some cases, an inverter (12VDC -->120VAC) can supply limited 120V power.  This powers major loads like microwave, A/C, hair drier or anything plugged into 120V outlets.  There is an electric panel with household style circuit breakers to protect these circuits.

Depending on what is not working, check the fuse or circuit breakers.

I hope you are right Gordon on the 240 volts.

Back
Top Bottom