Best days to drive over Christmas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graycat

We are taking our FW to visit relatives over Christmas.  It will be our first big trip with both trailer and pickup.  With Christmas on Monday this year, what days will be the rush days and which will be a little better for our first trip?

A lot depends on where you are traveling. If you're in the Arizona desert going to the Idaho mountains, that's one thing, but if you're in New York City going to Jacksonville, Florida, that's another thing entirely.

You can get better information if you supply more about your travel route.

The Friday before Christmas will be pretty busy, so leave on Thursday morning. and stay over til Wednesday and you should miss most of the holiday traffic.

Stay away from Dallas- Ft Worth, too, of course.

We were trying to decide whether to drive up Friday or Saturday. A week in a small town is 4 days too many. Lol

Graycat said:
We were trying to decide whether to drive up Friday or Saturday. A week in a small town is 4 days too many. Lol
Amarillo is a small town?

I suspect Friday will be rough, unless you get a good, early start. Everybody trying to get somewhere for the weekend.
If you have to work Friday, Saturday will be a better bet.

Having made a few long trips at Christmas time, I can say that the very best time to drive is early Christmas morning. Not a truck on the road, and very few cars, too. It was almost spooky to drive multiple miles of interstate highway and not see a vehicle in either direction. BTW, My trip was from Lake Charles, La. to Indy.

Graycat said:

LOL!  You sound like the guy I worked for before I retired.  He was born and raised in Culver City, in the middle of the Los Angeles metroplex and felt the same way about going to Las Vegas for an annual trade show  ... a wasted week in boring, small town America.

He couldn't understand why I felt the opposite, needing to get out of urban Los Angeles and decompress on a regular basis.

No, Amarillo isn't really a small town.  We're not actually going to Amarillo, but rather a small town near it.  However, if I had said we were going to Claude, not many people would know where it was.  Most people know where Amarillo is.

Graycat said:
No, Amarillo isn't really a small town.  We're not actually going to Amarillo, but rather a small town near it.  However, if I had said we were going to Claude, not many people would know where it was.  Most people know where Amarillo is.

Claude Texas:  Population: 1,180 (2016)

We used to make a trip to Florida each year in January. One year we left between Christmas and New years. I had a lot of choice words for all the slow old people on the road. Now I are one. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom