Dually Extended Valve Stems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveRB55

Hello All:

We finally made an RV purchase.  The only trip thus far has been to install the tow and brake system.  Otherwise it has been in storage while I continue to purchase needed items, familiarize myself with the motorhome systems and work clearing our house hoping to get it on the market in 30 days.  Yes we are jumping into full time whole hog.  Very excited...very nervous. 

I'm trying to address a problem with inflating my rear tires.  I purchased a portable compressor but my inner rear dual valve stem is in a very difficult position to inflate and/or monitor.  I verified the stems are metal.  After looking at options and other postings I was planning on using a wheel master 45 Degree extender and then a 4 inch straight extender that would poke through the outer ring hole and then stabilize it with a rubber plug made by Always Shine wheels in the outer rim hole.  After reading postings I'm concerned about adding two additional leak points.  Is this a sound plan or am I asking for trouble.  Any better options anyone can suggest.  I attached a jpg of the parts but I'm not sure the jpg will appear (rookie at this as well!)

Thanks
Dave

Attachments

• Valve and Grommet.jpg
    Valve and Grommet.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 28
Another newby here.  I was having similar (I think) issues with the inside duallies on my Class C unit.  Solved it was a 'dual chuck' inflator    ...'push' to put air in regular tires, 'pull' to put air in the duallies.  www.harborfreight.com/dual-chuck-tire-inflator-with-dial-gauge-63049.html

The long range solution is to have the inward facing valve reversed, so that it too faces outward. The only reason for it to be the way it is oriented is make it simple to rotate wheels to another position, but that is seldom necessary on an RV.  If it becomes necessary to move that wheel/tire, it would have to have the valve position changed again.  The tire has to be dismounted to loosen the nuts and re-position the valve.  I've heard of the valve being loosened enough to turn it around without dismounting, but that's not the accepted & approved method.

Thank you for responding. 

I'm probably not being clear in my description.  The inner tire valve stem is facing outward, just not directly outward (parallel to the wheel axle).  Additionally, the stem is rather short and even if perfectly aligned to the outer rim hole, it would not reach through.    If I peer through the hole in the the outer rim I can see it (about 5 inches in the hole)  but it is pointed outward and towards the center of the wheel.  I think it will require the 45 to re-direct it through the hole in the outer rim.  I'm going to test it tomorrow to see if I've guessed right.  I'm hoping the 45 will re-position it so that a straight extender can then be used to reach through the outer rim.  I'm just a bit flabbergasted that I would have to poke through the hole in the outer rim or lie on my back and work between tires to inflate the inner tire and was trying to come up with a more manageable method.

Once mounted together, is the combination of using two of these extenders in series to extend the stem prone to leaking?  Would the spinning of the tire tend to loosen the fittings or do these tend to hold tight?  Any feedback from users on that?    I mean if I have to fill the inner tube the way it is, I probably can, using an inflator as I certainly do not want to do something to cause more problems.  I saw a friend's RV with both stems sticking out (the inner wheel stem stabilized in the outer rim with a boot)  I didn't check to see if it was accomplished with extenders or just a long stem from the inner wheel but it sure looked a whole lot easier to fill than my setup.

Every single valve stem extender I've used eventually leaked.  But if you must I suggest the flexible ones you attach to the center cap.

http://yourtireshopsupply.com/category/796/dually-valve-kits

Have them installed once and then don't worry about them leaking etc.

Mine came new with braided style.  leaked
I eventually replaced with something very similar to what the OP pictured.  Worked ok for a long time, but I still had problems from time to time.  the stem through the long one would get bent if removing and replacing.... and often wouldn't play nicely with my TPMS transmitters.  Had to replace tehm a few times.

I considered the duallyvalve type and I do believe they would be a good solution, but earlier this year I ended up pulling my wheel simulators off so I can just reach through the hand holes in the wheels.  I wish I would have done that years ago!

I pull my simulators off to check tire pressure: it takes all of 30 seconds per tire to take them off and put them back on.

what JohnHicks said, Dually Valves
With dually valves I can check my 6 sires in just a few minutes.  Dick nvrver

Thanks everyone for responding.  I tried the 45 angles inserts in tandem with a straight 4".  The combination was too long as the final stem was butted right against the hub.  I can go down to a 3 in which will then be nearly flush with the rubber stabilizer.  I call my local truck tire service and they said they would dismount and put new stems in with just a straight extender for< $50 per tire.  Will be needing an oil change anyway so this sounds pretty good to me as the hardware I was using cost about $40.

Had a hard time just trying to put in air and checking it with the current configuration.  (Laying on the ground reaching between tires!)  Previous owner must not have checked them very often or was a glutton for punishment.  Should have been something I requested from dealer when I purchased it.  Lesson learned! 

Thanks again
Dave

The dual foot chuck is made to work easily with the stock rims and valve stems. The problem is the chrome decorative wheel covers have smaller holes than what is on the rims and block the chuck from liming up properly with the inside valve stem.

Use a Dremel tool to enlarge the hole in the cover that lines up with the inside tire's valve stem and a stock dual foot chuck will work fine.

Back
Top Bottom