Where is the transfer switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am a proud new owner of a used 1986 Allegro. When inspecting for purchase the owner showed the shore hookup and all electric things worked. The genset didn't run but had when it was parked. Fast forward at home I used engine starting fluid and it would run. I rebuilt the carb and minor adjustments it purred and both air units would run you out, outlets were hot too, fridge works. A test run to a camp ground I hooked up the shore connection nothing works no air, no coffee pot. I belive it's the transfer switch. I have searched high and low nowhere can I find the darn transfer switch please help.

You may not have one. In many older rigs (and some new ones as well), you plug the shore cord into an outlet that is wired to the generator.  Think of it as a manual transfer switch  - YOU plug the shore cord to the source YOU select.

Yeah, I think YOU were/are the transfer switch in an '86 Allegro. Look around the electrical bay for a plug that your shore-power cord will plug into.

Kev

Thanks for the reply Gary RV_Wizzard
Having an older RV I may not have a transfer switch. If that is the case why do the AC units only operate of of the genset? The shore line coils up.in a small locking compartment near the rear tires and no other switch or fuse panel. There are two circuit breaker boxes in the coach none are tripped. I'm still stumped.

I'm not familiar with the details of your Allegro, so am just offering generalities.

IF you have an auto-transfer switch, it will be where the genset and shore cords come together to feed power into the load center (breaker box).

I'm guessing this old RV has a 30A shore power system, i.e. a 3-prong plug on the shore cord. If so, any RV with two roof a/c units will have some sort of switching for a/c power, because 30A shore power is inadequate to power two a/c units consistently. The genset, however, has the capacity to power both. Typically they will be one or two switches that route power to the a/c units and allow you to select which a/c gets power from which source. Often one switch swaps the front & rear a/c units on the shore power source, while the second routes genset power to the rear a/c. There are several variations of these switching schemes, and different operational characteristics depending on just how they are set up, so I cannot be very specific about how yours might work.

Two answers, well 3.. First I like the one you already got, I call that the "poor man's transfer switch" so by all means look for that outlet.. If you have issues follow the 120 volt lines from the generator to the outlet.. IT likely will not be far away.

Second answer: And this one shocked me (Not electrical shock) On my RV I envisioned where power comes in from shore (Driver's side rear) and where the generator is(Just forward of the half bath, also driver's side, half bath is driver's side) and where the power distribution (breaker box) panel is (Hall shared wall with half bath) and where the two paths crossed (Cabnet under the counter half bath)

I opened the doors and there was a shelf, and below the shelf a closed off space.. I pulled two screws and opened the space and ... Wonder of Wonders.. there it was.. Right where it LOGICALLY should be.

On the other hand in another RV with similar lay out of generator (Amidships) and Power inlet.. It was on the back wall at a bit above eye level in the rear bedroom.

Moral.. They hide it.

I assume the shore power cord is connected to a junction box in that rear compartment. You need to trace the cable from that J-box to the Electrical panel. Somewhere in between is some from of a transfer switch (Auto, manual or a set of plugs). But first I would look near the gen set for either a set of plugs or a transfer switch (manual or auto).

I may be all wet here, but since you said you connected the shore power cord to the pedestal, electrical power would automatically be sent to the motorhome, without the need for a transfer switch. The transfer switch only comes into play when you disconnect from shore power, and crank up your generator, and that point, the switch automatically switches power generated by the generator, from the shore power cord, to the motorhome, without having to physically connect the shore power cord to the receptacle. True, your motorhome may be too old to have a transfer switch, but it would not matter, as long as you are connected to a pedestal. I have never heard of a power switch to enable 110 volts to transfer upon connecting to the pedestal.

That's a very good point.  The "transfer switch" is an automatic contactor that selects either shore power or generator power, depending on which is available.  It's not an on-off switch.

You may have that, or you may just have the outlet to plug the shore power cord into when you're not connected to shore power.

Could it be you need to disconnect the generator cord connector inside the coach bay and connect your shore power cord to that receptacle?

Thank for the reply to my beginner question. I'm certain I'll find it I was in hope that it would have been an easy fix. But as usual for me I it will take a hundred hours of searching and ten minutes of work. To date I have checked two circuit breaker boxes one labeled for the rear air ant the other for the front air and all other electric appliances. Under the refrigerator I found the a 50amp fuse blown on the inverter. However it didn't solve my problem. I'm sure that the inverter was for the fridge. I'm still searching having some exhaust issues repaired by a mechanic who has tools I don`t. I'm positive I'll find it or someone will point it out to me like the nose on my face.

As I had suspected pantry section of the galley next to the oven I found a TS--30 Todd Industries transfer switch. Now it has electrical components and some mechanical switching components. If it doesn't working do I just replace it with a new one or what?

Thanks Gary RV_Wizard for the quick reply. I looked at the information you attached and it was helpful. I will purchase a new one, install it and enjoy some camping this fall. ?

Back
Top Bottom