Smelly Camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WAJeepGirl

We have a 1978 truck camper.  It has "THAT" smell.  It's not a really nasty, mold smell, but it's a smell.  I'm sure keeping it closed up for 11 months a year doesn't help.  I just washed some pillowcases and towels that have been stored in the camper and when I pulled them out of the dryer they had "THAT" smell.  The dreaded camper smell.  How can you get rid of the smell?  I've tried Febreze and it doesn't last. 

Spread a bunch of dryer Sheets all around the comper and open vents and windows when possible.

I have used something called Odo-Ban bought at Sam's.  One of the best deodorizers I have used.  Wipe all the surfaces and let air out.  Ozonators help, but some odors just seem to stay. 

Thank you both for your replies!  I'll give them a try.  Do new, modern campers get the smell after a while or have they came up with a way to do away with it?

Don't know, had about 20 RV's over the years, and haven't had a new one since 1972 so I can't remember that far back.  I Always buy used.

Southeast Texas is known for the high humidity.  One trick I used in my older TT was to leave a small bag of aquarium type charcoal open in some out of the way place.  It didn't help the humidity but it took a lot of the musty smell out of the air.  Don't know if regular charcoal briquettes would do the same thing or not.  Never tried that.  Dryer sheets help take the "nasty new" odors out of my new TT...

It could also mean a leak somewhere. you may want to check out if any RV dealer in your area does Seal Tech. It will find any leaks.

Sounds like you may have a dead rat in there someplace. You need to locate and remove anything like that.

Back
Top Bottom