50 amp problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larrylu62

I have a 2004 Monaco Diplomat and have a problem that I have never had before. While getting ready for a short 3 day trip, when I hooked up my shore line (I always plug into my house electric while getting ready for any trip.) I noticed that I was only getting 30a power. I thought that it must be something in my house receptacle. We were in a hurry to leave and I thought I would check the shore line at the RV campground when we got there. When we hooked up at the campground, we still only had 20 and 30a, but no 50amp. 30 amp is OK for most trips, but we need the full 50 amp power for long trips. You can't run both A/C on 30 amp.                                                                  I called 2 different RV stores and neither one had a idea about how to fix it.                                                                                                                                              I hope someone out there can give me some ideas. I think it could be the "DISTRIBUTION PANEL". Does that  panel ever go bad? Any advice would be appreciated.

I wonder if you lost one leg of power through the transfer switch?  Does everything run normally on the generator?

This is time for step by step trouble shooting, you have eliminated the outlet as a possible source, you now just need to work your way down the line until 240V readings disappear, it could be the plug, a broken wire in the cable, the transfer switch or even the load management system.

Two options one happened to me. One already mentioned
THe transfer switch only switching one leg.

ON my shore cord one leg disconnected from the plug..  When I started tribble shooting that was the first.... and last... thing I checked.. Replaced the plug and all was good.

True story #2
Brand new (Sticker in window first time in use) 5th wheel 50 amp.  Plugged in and NOTHING. I mean NOTHING

Inside the Marinco outlet (The end of the cord that plugs into the inlet on the motor home) there are six screws. L1, L2, Neutral, Safety ground and 2 cable clamps.

Of those six not one had been tightened. NOT ONE the outlet fell off in my hand

Between my resources and knowledge and his (he was an electrican it turns out) we got 'er all hooked up and running but I'd sure have liked to be a fly one the wall when he had his chat with the dealer he bought it from...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom