1992 Fleetwood Flair front shock questions(P30 Chassis)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingo3243

Just picked up a 1992 Fleetwood Flair with a P30 Chassis(Chevy 454). It needed some front end work so I've started in on that but when it came to shocks everything I've found online told me the Billstein 24-252898 was the right shocks for it. Well they came in the mail and the top of the shock has a dedicated bolt on it(no eyelet), yet the one I pulled off the rig has an eyelet and no bolt. I've attached a photo of the ones they sent me just in case that is helpful.

I called Billstein and they were no help, only confirming the fact that what I ordered is what they have listed for the P30. So, can anyone help me figure out what shocks work for this motorhome? I'm having a hell of a time trying to find anyone with answers and couldn't find anything specific through searching the forum.

Is there a resource I can buy or look at online that would list parts for the 92 flair as opposed to a P30(because I'm finding in a lot of cases its not an exact match).

Thanks for any help, enjoying the forum so far lots of good info!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 11.39.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 11.39.45 AM.png
    295.9 KB · Views: 18
I just looked online and it looks like you should have a mounting bolt that is double ended presently.  It looks like the Bilstein has the mounting bolt permanently fixed in the eye of the shock.  You should be able to remove a nut and take out the original mounting bolt.

All I can tell you is that when I changed the shocks on my 2002 P32 chassis Safari Trek they looked like the ones in the photo you post.  I replaced the original Bilsteins with Koni FSD's at 75,000 miles (once removed I saw the Bilsteins did still have some life left in them)

Thank you both.

Isaac, did you have to remove the old bolt from the chassis then?

There was no old bolt on mine, just the built in stud at the top of the shock, though on one the nut had loosened and the threads on the stud had mushroomed making removal difficult.

Yeah so thats what I'm saying. On the chassis theres a built in stud but on the new shock there is also a built in stud as shown in the picture. Did you just remove the one on the new shock?

Did you check your actual VIN? There are several variations that are loosely called "P30", but the specifics are identified by digits 5-7 on the VIN. Those typically are P32 or p37, but there are some others that were used as a motorhome chassis as well. There are also different weight class front suspensions, but I don't know if those used different shocks or not.

Since you have  1992, this older Chassis Service Manual may help:
http://www.gmcmi.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/P30-Chassis-Manual.pdf

yeah, mine is P37 and the title specifically calls out P30 as the model(although I know that can just be whoever input it at the DMV). Thanks for the manual, I'm digging in to that now.

There is no such Chevrolet model as the "P30". It's just a shorthand for collection of similar chassis identified by vin 5-7 and starting with a 'P'.  DMV clerks can and do put most anything on title forms.

I thought I could just remove it as well, but the right side lacks the bushing. So even if I could remove it there would be no bushing between the shock and the nut.

You could take the old shock into a professional auto parts store (NAPA or Carquest) and see if they can match it up. Usually those stores have real pros rather than the clerk with a computer found in the typical Autozone or Advance Auto store. And their resources usually go deeper as well.  I've even had the counter clerk at a NAPA call their supplier to help identify a part that wasn't in the computer or the print catalogs.

Back
Top Bottom