Hello RV Fans! And Golf Fans!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CallawayDaddy

Hi!  My name is Bryan, and after a nasty divorce and losing my house to the ex, I have upgraded from my old weekend camper to full time living in a 2007 32RKLS Newmar 5th wheel.  This isn't new. for I have had it for a few years, now.  Life is good in this RV.

I have a new problem, however, and I cannot figure this one out.  We had a recent storm that blew out a transformer down the road and caused power surges and flashes of on/off power.  The power did restore for a short while, then a car ran into another power pole which caused the same flashes as described earlier.  Now here is the resulting problem;  I now have 120v AC power in my trailer, but no 12v power; meaning no lights, refrigeration, AC, heating, etc.  Nothing that requires 12v power is working.

I have gone out to check the inverter, but found another problem there.  The 120v plug that connects the inverter to the system has no power reaching it.  The 120v plug on the trailer exterior, directly outside the inverter plug, has full power.  Does anyone have any advice on what the problem might be?  Or where to look to find a problem?  Thank you in advance for any replies to this introduction letter.

Inverter or converter?

Have you checked the breaker(s) feeding the outlets? Sometimes they don't look like they are tripped, so you may have to turn them off, then back on. The other thing is you may have a tripped GFCI. They can be hidden just about anywhere in the RV. Considering the size of your fiver, there may be more than one GFCI outlet.

Likely culprits are a tripped circuit breaker or tripped GFCI. The GFCI is usually on one the first outlet of the circuit, but a few rigs have it in the breaker itself.

However, you should have 12v power from either battery of the converter/charger.  Did the battery go dead because the charger was offline (no power), or is there some other problem as well? The house battery may have a fuse or a disconnect relay inline with it.

I would strongly suggest a Progressive Industries Surge Protector hard wired into the FW.  It will stop these surges and related burps from getting into your camper.  However, this is closing the barn door after the horse ran off!

In addition to the above, I would visually check affected outlets to see if a surge has damaged the receptacle or wiring.  Also verify all the wires in the breaker / fuse boxes is screwed in tight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom