EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Sleep Number Bed. Great or regret.  (Read 688 times)

garyb1st

• ---
Sleep Number Bed. Great or regret.
« on: September 20, 2017, 04:31:15 PM »
We need to upgrade our bed.  I know several members have commented on the Sleep Number Bed and if memory serves most of those comments were favorable.  However, I know that beds can deteriorate over time.  For those of you who have owned and more importantly slept in the bed for several years, how do they hold up? 

We have a standard queen.  We need an RV king.  Same length only 12 inches wider.  It will fit with minimal modification of the bedroom.  I've never seen a Sleep Number bed in an RV king size.   Do they exist?  If not, can they be custom ordered?  If so, where? 

If you have a different brand and model you like, please comment re: name of bed and how long you've owned it or slept in it.   

Thanks for your response. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Re: Sleep Number Bed. Great or regret.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 04:58:46 PM »
One of my RVs had a sleep number bed and I hated it. I could not find a comfortable setting.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 05:30:50 PM »
I am on my second sleep number bed. I replaced the bed in my last RV, and it took some getting used to. When I bought my current RV I ordered it with another sleep number bed.  On both beds I have discovered the secret for the comfort in the air beds.  You can't sleep on just the air chambers, they are not comfortable. The secret for us was to add a good quality egg crate foam pad under the zip cover on the bed. In fact my new bed came with the egg crate already in place. It made a huge difference in comfort. Then just adjust the air chambers to your level of firmness.  I like a firm comfortable surface so my side is set at 70. The DW likes 65. 

I seriously doubt that the beds can "deteriorate" as they are just air chambers. If the bed becomes uncomfortable, it will probably just take a new piece of foam.  I think you have nothing to fear from it.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

xrated

• ---
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 07:35:54 PM »
We had a sleep number bed (queen size) for a little over 20 years in the house.  When we bought the Toy Hauler last fall, the mattress that came with it was pretty uncomfortable for my wife.  So, we ditched the mattress that came with the T.H., moved the 20 year old SN bed to the RV, then bought a new one for the house.  In my experience, they are the most comfortable bed I ever slept on.
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 07:44:02 PM »
Can't speak for an "RV king", but we've had (CA king) Sleep Number beds in our last two homes for over 20 years. We replaced the OEM queen foam mattress in our current coach with a knock-off brand; One of the air bags failed, and I replaced the mattress with a Sleep Number mattress 7-9 years ago.

To Marty's point, SN mattresses come with a choice of foam toppers. My wife likes a 'soft' bed, whereas I like 'very hard' one. As a compromise, we bought the SN mattress at home with a 'medium plush' topper. Chris has her side inflated to 35 or less, and I have my side inflated to 100. At the store, I asked if I could get one air bag that inflates to 150, and if they could replace the foam topper on my side with a piece of plywood, but of course they couldn't do that.

On the length, our OEM foam mattress was an RV queen, but the Sleep Number is a full size queen. I've thought about adding a short extension to the base of the bed, but the short overhang doesn't affect how the mattress lies or how it fits with the slideout retracted.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 12:26:16 PM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Bob Maxwell

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smile, and the world smiles with you . . .
    • The American Southwest
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 07:48:12 PM »
We love ours in the house. We have a standard mattress pad and then dual controlled Sunbeam heating mattress pad. We can keep the coach or house cooler with the heating pads in both. You can get them in 12v too.
Adiós. . .

Bob †
and wife Betty Font 

. . . still ridin' for the brand.

1994 Suncruiser 34RQ, Cummins 5.9L/230 Allison 3060
'08 Kia Spectra5,
FMCA SKP

Holbrook AZ, west of the Petrified Forrest NP on I-40

mrschwarz

• ---
    • C U on the Road
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 07:57:03 PM »
We bought a king-size Sleep Number bed before Select Comfort coined the term. We had a waterbed back in the 90s. We decided to move to a more conventional sleeping arrangement, but we weren't sure if we would like it. Mattress stores offered to credit a mattress if we didn't like it. Since we were only looking at top of the line units, that wasn't good enough. Select Comfort had a 90-day money back guarantee so we bought one. I don't remember the year, but it was when UPS was on strike, since it took more than 3 weeks to get all the boxes in the shipment.

When we sold the S&B, our coach had a queen sized mattress so the Select Comfort went into storage. When we got a new motor home that had room for a king size mattress and it came out of storage. We had it in our Winnebago and now it's in our Bus. After more than 20 years, it's still going strong, including the air pump and remote. It may not be the latest model or have the fluffiest top, but it's still the most comfortable mattress we have ever had.
Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45 OPP
Cummins ISL 450
Allison 3000
Progressive EMS-HW50C Surge Protector
Air Force One

Visit us at www.schwarz.org

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 08:06:34 PM »
we got a S/N with our motor home and we love it, If this one ever goes bad I will buy another one.

I loved the water beds of the 60's and 70's but when one person moves everything moves...not so on the Sleep Number,  I never feel it when my wife gets in or out of the bed.

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 08:39:44 PM »
We had a sleep number in our previous coach. It felt too much like what it is, that is, like an air mattress. We slept OK, but a regular mattress is more comfortable for us.

That being said, there are many folks on here who love them, some who don't, and perhaps a few like me who won't go out of their way to get one, but can live with it if necessary.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 08:41:07 PM »
Good response Larry.

Massmerch

• ---
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 10:42:55 PM »
Our coach came with a sleep number bed...It was okay but, too thin.  We upgraded to a deluxe rv King and we love it.  We also have a king and queen in our house.  I haven't woke up with a back ache in 10 years.  Needless to say, we're hooked
Randy
2005 Itasca Horizon 40 KD
2016 Jeep Unlimited
Hesperia, Ca.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 10:34:50 AM »
Mattress type is a highly personal choice. Firmness, surface rigidity (that's different than firm), dual vs single adjustments, type of material, etc. We've had air-adjustables, foam, conventional inner springs, and water beds and all I can say is that each has its merits. We've gone back to a top quality inner spring type, but my wife and I agree on what makes for a comfortable sleep. If you and your other have differences on that subject, you need either a separately adjustable type or a split king (two mattresses on one frame) where you can get two different comfort-types in one bed.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 12:22:34 PM »
We just purchased a king bed for the house.  It's an Eight Bliss that we purchased from Costco.  The deciding factor for me were the reviews.  While there were only 13, all were 5 stars on a 1 - 5 star scale.  For the wife and myself, at best it's a 1 star.  Might work with a mattress pad, but why is that even necessary on a new bed.  Guess we'll be returning it to Costco.  Sure wish I didn't sell the old F250.  >:(

My point is, if we can't rely on the reviews, what are the deciding factors.  When I look at the reviews of the Sleep Number bed, there's a consistent 20% that rate them 1 star out of 5.   The responses to this post tend to bear that out. 

As mentioned we can manage a king bed with minimal modification.  We can't however manage a bed with a profile more than 8 inches thick.  Based on what I see, that leaves us with an entry level Sleep Number Bed.  All the others are too tall.  So the question is, will an entry level Sleep Number bed provide the support we need?  The price range is pretty significant.  From about $1,000 to more than $5,000.  So if the comfort level increases with price, I guess we need to look elsewhere.  Unless of course, an 8 inch Sleep Number is still a good bed. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

shorts

• ---
  • Ready to explore the USA!
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 01:31:24 PM »
We love our sleep number too! We bought one for the S&B many years ago due to my severe RA so I could sleep better. We even bought the adjustable frame. We also replaced the queen mattress in our Winnebago class C with a sleep number.

So when we got the 5W I think we slept on the original mattress one time before replacing it with a king sleep number. Just wish there was some way I could make it adjustable  ;D

If you have a sleep number store any where close to you, you could go in and try out the entry level mattress. They do have a return guarantee but would be a pain.  Good luck.

Vicki

Vicki and Mark Shorter
2015 Forrest River Blue Ridge RS3600 5er
2015 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 4wd
On the road fulltime!

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 02:07:00 PM »
We love our SN bed. It's the king size bed that Winnie puts in their coaches, and it retracts so the slides can close. It has a different brand name (the name escapes me right now) but it's six years old and going strong.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 02:08:47 PM »
We love our SN bed. It's the king size bed that Winnie puts in their coaches, and it retracts so the slides can close. It has a different brand name (the name escapes me right now) but it's six years old and going strong.

Kev

Ideal Rest
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 03:35:38 PM »
Googled their site and it's down.  Wonder if they're still in business. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 03:40:50 PM »
Our coach came with a sleep number bed...It was okay but, too thin.  We upgraded to a deluxe rv King and we love it.  We also have a king and queen in our house.  I haven't woke up with a back ache in 10 years.  Needless to say, we're hooked

Massmerch, is the deluxe rv King you purchased a sleep number bed?  If so, where did you get it?   Also, how thin was the bed that came with the coach?   
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 07:23:51 AM »
When we purchased the SN bed for the Phaeton, I actually had to raise the platform of the bed because it was now too low. I bought the entry level SN bed as well, got it on one of their sales for $600.  The huge difference for us was buying and inserting an egg crate foam under the SN top pad. That created a lot more of the cushy top that made it comfortable, and then the air pressure made it firm.  I think the entry level SN was 6" tall.  The mattress that came with the rig was a 10" tall mattress. When I put the SN on it was too low for me to get in and out of bed easily. 
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 07:52:42 AM »
I thought the difference between the entry level model and the premium ones is the "pillow-top" padding that sits on top of the air-adjustable lower layer, anywhere from 1-3" of additional pad on top.  The amount of "support" is determined by the air pressure you select, not the thickness of the air cushion. The pillow-top is supposed to provide additional comfort, though. Suggest you go to a SN store and give the various models a try.

Also, SN isn't the only manufacturer of air-adjustable mattresses, just the most widely advertised. Some others are Bear, Personal Comfort, and Air-Pedic.

This review site may give you some clues about how people like them:
http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattress-reviews-air-bed.html
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 09:22:13 AM »
the difference between the entry level model and the premium ones is the "pillow-top" padding that sits on top of the air-adjustable lower layer

Certainly one of the differences, maybe the most significant/obvious to the user. There are other noticeable differences such as the pump, remotes and possibly electronics. The lower end SN we have in the coach has a noisier pump and single (wired) remote, whereas the SN we have at home has a 'silent' pump and dual remotes. Not much of an inconvenience for the limited number of times we inflate/adjust or deflate the beds. I have no idea how these compare with current models.

Haven't looked in a long time, but I seem to recall some differences in air bags and the (firm) foam 'construction' around & between the bags. These differences may or may not be associated with differences in manufacturing year.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 01:48:03 PM by Tom »

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 09:51:36 AM »
Re-measured the mattress height.  There is a bit more than 11 inches between the platform and dresser drawers.  The old mattress is 8 inches but we have a topper that adds another 3 inches.  Initially I was concerned that it might not fit.  But it manages to slide under the drawers and not bind.  So now the question is buy an 11 inch mattress or an 8 inch and add a topper.   My gut tells me to get the 8 inch and add a topper.  So we're going to test drive a few mattresses. 

Thanks for the input.  Very helpful. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Massmerch

• ---
  • It is what it is...
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 10:40:54 PM »
Hi Gary.  Sorry for the late reply...been a busy week.  We got our rv King through the sleep number web site.  Was shipped directly to our home.  At the time, Camping World had the exact same one but, not sure if they still do.  It's been about a year since we purchased it.  Good luck... Like I said before, we love it.
Edit:  We don't have the old sleep number bed anymore to measure.  I would guess our new one to be about 3-4 inches (at least) thicker.

Randy
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 10:46:06 PM by Massmerch »
Randy
2005 Itasca Horizon 40 KD
2016 Jeep Unlimited
Hesperia, Ca.

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2017, 01:16:33 AM »
Randy, thanks for the reply. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 07:06:51 PM »
Camping World sells the Sleep Number bed for about $680 less than the same bed sold by the Sleep Number store we just visited.  The Sleep Number company stated they honor the warranty on beds sold through Camping World.  Is there any downside in buying from Camping World?  Also has anyone had a warranty issue with a Camping World bed that was not satisfactorily resolved?

Part of the cost difference is delivery and set up which costs $180.00.   From what the salesperson said, the set up time is 35 to 45 minutes.   From what I understand, it needs to be assembled.  Any issues with that.  Can't imagine its too difficult.     
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 08:32:28 PM »
Camping World sells the Sleep Number bed for about $680 less than the same bed sold by the Sleep Number store we just visited.  The Sleep Number company stated they honor the warranty on beds sold through Camping World.  Is there any downside in buying from Camping World?  Also has anyone had a warranty issue with a Camping World bed that was not satisfactorily resolved?

Part of the cost difference is delivery and set up which costs $180.00.   From what the salesperson said, the set up time is 35 to 45 minutes.   From what I understand, it needs to be assembled.  Any issues with that.  Can't imagine its too difficult.   

It's very simple to assemble a sleep number bed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzt1aa5GhWA
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

cpaulsen

• ---
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2017, 07:18:04 AM »
We went with a Serta i Comfort instead.
2008 Ford F250/CC/SB/V-10/Montana 3670RL

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »
Rene, thanks for the link. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 11:19:08 AM »
We went with a Serta i Comfort instead.

Thanks for the reply.  I know they're not for everyone.  Did you consider a sleep number bed?  If you did, what was your reason for going with a Serta? 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

shorts

• ---
  • Ready to explore the USA!
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2017, 10:19:29 AM »
We bought online from sleep number and assembled it ourselves. I think at the time it was the same price or cheaper than the one Camping World had. Assembly is not difficult but then DH had already done one or two in the past so he was familiar with it.

Vicki
Vicki and Mark Shorter
2015 Forrest River Blue Ridge RS3600 5er
2015 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 4wd
On the road fulltime!

Hosted by Over The Network