5th wheel true height

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newto5thwheels

Were wanting to make sure the height listed on the spec sheet for 5th wheels includes the equipment on top. We have a 13'10 garage opening, and need to make sure it will fit before purchasing. All the dealers are telling us, "they think the spec sheet includes the roof equipment". Thought you all could help me with the specific answer?
Thanks in advance

If they will permit it, simply place a board across the top of the highest point (usually the air conditioner) and measure from the bottom of it down the sidewall to the ground. Add a few inches for safety.... Or call the specific manufacturer's help line and ask them but remember, different manufacturer, could mean different rules.

I've not run into a trailer that wasn't measured to the highest (the AC) point.

Hitching to the truck may change things +/-3"...depending on how level the trailer is when towing.

Unless the driveway is sloped don't see how a 13'10" door wouldn't be high enough.  Few times I've checked the max legal height (without an over height permit) is 13'6".

When I worked for a trucking company, we ran 14 ft. high trailers in the Western States  (west of the Mississippi) and 13'6" trailers nationwide without any special permits.

That said, you should be fine with 13'10" door clearance.

As Too Tall mentioned, a sloped driveway could be a real problem.  It might be 13' on level ground, but if the tail is way up in the air as you back in, it could be a good bit higher.  Will the dealer let you bring it home to check?  Or a similar size used unit?

With all this said, the high point is usually near the front and above the pin box area, so THAT height should be okay.

newto5thwheels said:
Were wanting to make sure the height listed on the spec sheet for 5th wheels includes the equipment on top. We have a 13'10 garage opening, and need to make sure it will fit before purchasing. All the dealers are telling us, "they think the spec sheet includes the roof equipment". Thought you all could help me with the specific answer?
Thanks in advance

If the dealer that you are going to buy from has the desire to sell the unit, they'll let you take a measurement.....don't just take their word for it.

Here's an illustrated article on measuring the height of an RV. Courtesy of forum staffer and retired architect Ron Marabito.

Regarding the sloped driveway, some recently posted here about that very thing. There was a slope or dip, at the entrance, and they couldn't get their RV into the garage even though it should have fit.

One thing you may want to keep in mind, measure the rig when it's empty. That will be when the RV will be at it's tallest. It may only make a difference of a inch or two but that may be enough to save your butt going under a underpass.

You also need to measure it when it's hitched to YOUR truck, since the rig may not be level when hitched. The factory spec will be as measured at the factory, with the front legs down and [presumably] level.

RV makers used to be careless about height specs and they did sometimes only give roof height. That was back in the day when a/c units and tv antennas were often optional.  Now that such roof height extensions are standard equipment on most models, they are included in height. Note that i Said 'most models", and not all. Be safe and verify it. Call the manufacturer or check it yourself if necessary.

A lot of great feedback to work with here. Thank you all for your responses. There is a bit of slope in the driveway, that could be an issue, even with a foot to spare, if the measurements are correct. I think I will make sure that before I purchase, it will be contingent on if the 5th wheel fits.

Back
Top Bottom