EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: 5th wheel true height  (Read 301 times)

newto5thwheels

5th wheel true height
« on: September 20, 2017, 05:30:19 PM »
Were wanting to make sure the height listed on the spec sheet for 5th wheels includes the equipment on top. We have a 13'10 garage opening, and need to make sure it will fit before purchasing. All the dealers are telling us, "they think the spec sheet includes the roof equipment". Thought you all could help me with the specific answer?
Thanks in advance

Alfa38User

• ---
Re: 5th wheel true height
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 06:32:31 PM »
If they will permit it, simply place a board across the top of the highest point (usually the air conditioner) and measure from the bottom of it down the sidewall to the ground. Add a few inches for safety.... Or call the specific manufacturer's help line and ask them but remember, different manufacturer, could mean different rules.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:36:22 PM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 07:18:55 PM »
I think 13' 6" is the max legal height so you should be ok but ours was listed in the brochure as 11' 9" when in reality it's 12' 4" to the top of the A/C
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L gasser
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

TooTall

• ---
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 08:42:45 PM »
I've not run into a trailer that wasn't measured to the highest (the AC) point.

Hitching to the truck may change things +/-3"...depending on how level the trailer is when towing.

Unless the driveway is sloped don't see how a 13'10" door wouldn't be high enough.  Few times I've checked the max legal height (without an over height permit) is 13'6".

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 10:48:15 PM »
When I worked for a trucking company, we ran 14 ft. high trailers in the Western States  (west of the Mississippi) and 13'6" trailers nationwide without any special permits.

That said, you should be fine with 13'10" door clearance.

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 11:09:57 PM »
As Too Tall mentioned, a sloped driveway could be a real problem.  It might be 13' on level ground, but if the tail is way up in the air as you back in, it could be a good bit higher.  Will the dealer let you bring it home to check?  Or a similar size used unit?

With all this said, the high point is usually near the front and above the pin box area, so THAT height should be okay.
Preacher Gordon
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS - not yet received
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

xrated

• ---
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 02:15:30 AM »
Were wanting to make sure the height listed on the spec sheet for 5th wheels includes the equipment on top. We have a 13'10 garage opening, and need to make sure it will fit before purchasing. All the dealers are telling us, "they think the spec sheet includes the roof equipment". Thought you all could help me with the specific answer?
Thanks in advance

If the dealer that you are going to buy from has the desire to sell the unit, they'll let you take a measurement.....don't just take their word for it.
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 06:04:17 AM »
Here's an illustrated article on measuring the height of an RV. Courtesy of forum staffer and retired architect Ron Marabito.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 06:21:16 AM »
Regarding the sloped driveway, some recently posted here about that very thing. There was a slope or dip, at the entrance, and they couldn't get their RV into the garage even though it should have fit.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 07:23:14 AM »
One thing you may want to keep in mind, measure the rig when it's empty. That will be when the RV will be at it's tallest. It may only make a difference of a inch or two but that may be enough to save your butt going under a underpass.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 10:04:25 AM »
You also need to measure it when it's hitched to YOUR truck, since the rig may not be level when hitched. The factory spec will be as measured at the factory, with the front legs down and [presumably] level.

RV makers used to be careless about height specs and they did sometimes only give roof height. That was back in the day when a/c units and tv antennas were often optional.  Now that such roof height extensions are standard equipment on most models, they are included in height. Note that i Said 'most models", and not all. Be safe and verify it. Call the manufacturer or check it yourself if necessary.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

newto5thwheels

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 04:28:54 PM »
A lot of great feedback to work with here. Thank you all for your responses. There is a bit of slope in the driveway, that could be an issue, even with a foot to spare, if the measurements are correct. I think I will make sure that before I purchase, it will be contingent on if the 5th wheel fits.

Hosted by Over The Network