Water not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ebaierl

I bought a 1988 Tiffin Allegro back in April. It had been winterized. We moved in full time, and for some reason, I didn't check to make sure the water worked before moving in. Here's the process I've gone through, but I'm sure I'm missing something.

First, I filled the water tank about a quarter full. Then I turned on the water pump and nothing happened. So I replaced the water pump. Brand new one it, it sounds like its working. I turn it on, no water, so I walk around the RV and find water pouring out the city inlet. I replace that since I'm pretty sure its supposed to have a backflow lock so water doesn't come out. Turn the pump on again, and nothing.

I walk around again, and find water coming out of the water heater. Open that, and stupid me forgot to replace the anode rod. So I put that in, turn the pump back on, and now water is coming out of the pressure release valve. I go inside and turn the valve to bypass the water heater completely, I'll figure that out later. Now nothing comes out of the faucets. It never has.

I'm not sure what I'm missing. I thought maybe there was a release valve between city water and tank, but there is not. There is nothing in the wet bay for fresh water at all.

I have a brand new pump, and someone mentioned that it might need to be adjusted, but I'm not sure how to do that. Its a Shurflow pump. I have a second one for backup just in case there is a problem with the one brand new one I have, but I think its working. It sounds like it is, but no water is coming out.

Any ideas?

Does the pump shut off at all after building pressure. If it does, and you get nothing out of your faucets, try removing the strainer at the faucets. They may be plugged up with dirt.

If the pump continues to run, do you have a valve which you need to open in order to fill your fresh water tank while hooked up to city water. If that valve was left open when you filled your tank, the water from the tank is just going right back into the tank via that valve. My valve has a label saying fill position or normal position. Check yours.

The pump just keeps running, but its not pushing anything through. I checked, and there is no back flow to the city water or lever to turn to change from city to tank.

I'm going to try filling the tank and letting it run for awhile, its about half full now, but I can fill it completely and see what happens. I haven't hooked it to city water yet because I was worried about a leak and don't have a pressure gauge yet for hooking it up.

You may have a blockage between the pump and the tank. Before you fill the tank any further, disconnect the pipe on the suction/tank side of the pipe and see if you're getting a good flow of water out of it. If you know for sure your tank is 1/4 full, there is no need to add anymore. It should work.

Water does come out of the hose, but I'm not sure if its considered a good flow. Nothing to compare it to.

The suction side (between pump and tank) is more susceptible to cracks and air leaks than blockage. The pump runs but sucks more air than water. The best test is to disconnect the hose on the outlet side of the pump and see if it pumps water nicely. It should produce at least 3 gpm (gallon/minute) and more like 5-6 gpm for that size pump.  Since you were getting water squirting out of the heater, I think you are probably ok there, but it doesn't hurt to verify that.

If you get water that far, then you need to look for kinked water lines and possible intermediate shut-off valves.  There may also be open low-point winterizing drains that will release water under the RV somewhere.

It seems unlikely that all of the water faucets are clogged, but I suppose it is possible if the water was really hard. Have you checked kitchen and bath faucets, shower and toilet? Does anything work? Even a dribble?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom