Brake Buddy Shuts off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClickHill

We get the Brake Buddy installed, clevis on the brake, seat set, emergency cables attached, power on.  The air compressor comes on and goes up and shuts off correctly.  I set the sensitivity to 6 and press the test button.  The Brake Buddy pushes the brake and returns, I do this two or three times and then the power in the Brake Buddy shuts off.  The power to the Brake Buddy from the cord is still there, I can see it because my cord has a red light when it has power.  I discount the power at the cord, hook it back up and the Brake Buddy compressor comes back on like its working correctly.  When this happens driving down the road the Brake buddy does not work.

It seems like there could be a power problem or a loose wire inside??  Anybody have any knowledge what this could be or if there is a way I can fix it?

Almost sounds like a self resetting circuit breaker within the brake buddy is popping. Might be due to the compressor in it running to long or  possibly due to you using the test button too frequently. A call to Brake Buddy might help. A google search for 'brake buddy manual' (no quotes) turns up many variations of that manual.

What do you have it plugged into? Mine would do that and Brake Buddy sent me a direct battery line to use.  The Brake Buddy seems to be right on the edge of power use.  Mine works fine now.

In one particular toad we had, the Brake Buddy would shut down due to low voltage if you cycled it to fast while pumping down power brake reservoir. Direct line to battery fixed that. In other vehicles, it works fine plugged into lighter.

Be aware that there are two sizes of lighter sockets and plugs. They are theoretically interchangeable but combining a small, plug and large socket often results in a loose connection. Of course vehicle manufacturers are likely to use the larger size so every plug fits and aftermarket suppliers apply the opposite logic. My Jeep, for example, suffers this problem in that the full time socket in the console is a loose fit for the plug on my brake. It has to be just right to make a good connection. A consequence of the poor connection is Voltage drop in the power to the brake.

Ernie

Your issue is a known issue with Brake Buddy. If your BB sees a voltage drop it will shut down.
Do as already mentioned, run a dedicated line from battery. 
That's what I did and it cured my shut down problem.

I feed mine power from the RV.
I have a separate cable from the power recptacle on the toad bumper to the seat area to power the Brake Buddy.

Thanks guy's - I will run a direct connection from my battery to the BB plug.  This makes sense because to power the BB I have to plug it into the way back power plug because the front one shuts down when I pull fuse number 5 to shut down the dash power when towing.

That was it - I just went into the garage and plugged the BB directly into the rear power plug, let it pressurize, hit the test button 5 times in a row and it worked perfectly.  I then plugged it into the power extension cord, which I need to place it on the front floor when it is plugged in.  I let it pressurize hit he the test button one time - shut down.

I will run a direct line to the battery tomorrow - Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom