California vs Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry N. said:
Hmmm... E2 in the early '60s was $85/month.

I was an E2 in the Navy and in 1963 I remember my pay was $80 a month. Thought it was pretty good considering I had everything else I needed and the job I left before joining paid .75 cents an hour.

My, my, my  how times have changed.

Arch Hoagland said:
I was an E2 in the Navy and in 1963 I remember my pay was $80 a month. Thought it was pretty good considering I had everything else I needed and the job I left before joining paid .75 cents an hour.

My, my, my  how times have changed.

I was a E4 in 2008, with one dependent (DW) and I think I was making $110 per month

Rene T said:
I was a E4 in 2008, with one dependent (DW) and I think I was making $110 per month

2008 military pay scale indicates an E-4 pay with less than 4 years Service:

Basic Pay: $2000 pm
BAH: $638 pm
BAS: $202 pm
Clothing Maintenance  Allowance: $50 pm
= $2890 pm
This does not include a location allowance for housing which is dependent on where you are stationed.

Kevin Means said:
the highest electrical rates in the country (our electrical bill was $985.00 last month)
Kev

Ouch, I thought ours were bad in Fallbrook (same SDG&E).  That is why I put in Solar when I had been there a few years. Turned out to be the best decision I ever made. It not only raised the value when I sold it, but even when I was home during the winter months and paying for the electric for us and my sister's Bungalow in the back, I was still paying less than $100 a month. 

When she moved out a few months before I sold and it was just us living there, my bills went negative. I actually got a refund check from SDG&E when the escrow closed.  Their electric rates are horrible.

Kevin Means said:
Well... how about the largest budget deficit in the country,
Florida was to have a surplus this year but Irma wiped that out.
the highest overall tax rates in the country
Florida has no state income tax.
some of the highest vehicle registration fees in the country
It cost me $450 to register my fifth wheel last March.
the highest electrical rates in the country (our electrical bill was $985.00 last month)
My electrical bill for August with the A/C running 24/7 was $75
the highest water rates in the country
My water is include in my site rent which is $360 a month.
the highest gasoline prices in the country (typically)
$2.65 a gallon here and that is the highest it has been in years. Usually $2.15.
the highest population in the country
Third highest population in the country. Half of California.
the highest homeless population in the country
I don't know where we stand on homeless but I never see any in my home town of Saint Cloud.
some of the worst roads in the country
Best roads in the country.
but hey, it's sure nice weather out here
Yep, I lived up the road from SD and you can't beat the weather, but I like the weather here just as much.

I keep seeing Florida has the best roads, but there are a lot of dirt roads in Florida. To the best of my knowledge, there are no more dirt roads in Delaware.

kdbgoat said:
I keep seeing Florida has the best roads, but there are a lot of dirt roads in Florida. To the best of my knowledge, there are no more dirt roads in Delaware.
I have traveled the entire country and Florida gets my vote for the best roads. However, as always it is my opinion and not based on fact. I have no clue about the dirt roads since I never drive on dirt roads, too destructive to vehicles.

OK, time for me to throw my oar into this race.  I think we have the best situation possible, 6 months in Florida, and 6 months in God's Country, that is Maritime Canada.  Great weather 12 months of the year, great healthcare, unbelievable scenery in both locations, cheap lobster and crab along with fresh salmon, cod or haddock.  As for California, have only visited 3 times, for short durations each time, so I'll leave the comments about living there to those who have spent more time there.
    All that said, having worked in an industry that moved us around, I can honestly say that once we set up housekeeping we adjusted and loved our time there, where ever it was.
    Life is good, great to be retired.

Ed

kdbgoat said:

I haven't taken the 90 minutes it does to travel the entirety of the state of Delaware, but I would posit there is a dirt road somewhere. One of the charms of Florida are the back roads, some of which are dirt. I grew up in Florida, Daytona Beach, and we had family in Tampa. In the 50's we didn't have I-4 to take to Tampa so we had to take a two lane highway. As soon as we left Daytona we were in citrus groves the whole way to Tampa. It was not uncommon to stop and pick oranges, tangerines and grapefruit along the way.

Born and raised in Minnesota.  Sub zero temps for the entire month of February 1973, finally convinced me to leave.  Relocated to So. Cal. where I traded freezing temps and an occasional foot of snow for year round weather that's pretty hard to beat.  There is one huge downside that can't be fixed.  The ever growing population.  Never ending traffic jams.  It's the only reason I want to move.  The DW, on the other hand, will only consider moving if/when we can find a comparable area.  That's not likely to happen unless we can find an, as yet undiscovered, area near the beach that doesn't cost $1+ million for a fixer on a 4,000 sf lot.  But traffic aside, nasty roads, too many people, potential for earthquakes that don't come with a weeks notice to leave town, the highest priced gas in the nation and supposedly one of the most costly places to live in the lower 48, it's got a lot to offer. 

Florida had a budget surplus !!      and no Income Tax !!

What the heck is Florida doing differently....... ???

TonyDtorch said:
Florida had a budget surplus !!      and no Income Tax !!

What the hell is Florida doing differently....... ???
Florida has more tourists than any place else in the US. We get 60 million people a year in Orlando alone. NYC gets 55 million and Las Vegas gets 40 million. The tourists pay the taxes and keep the roads smooth as a babies butt. Thank you Mouse. ;D

Being a Las Vegas native where our State Shrub has been designated as the Orange Construction Cone, our roads are being repaired quicker than they can be used up, all thanks go to our esteemed tourists. I am thankful for Californians who show up on Friday and leave Sunday afternoon. God love the tourist.

our State Shrub has been designated as the Orange Construction Cone

That's funny  ;D

Apologies if I say that I hate Las Vegas; I visit maybe once in 10 years, and usually under duress. Hope I don't offend our forum friends who live in a beautiful place in LV  ???

I know about 15 years ago, this was North Carolina's state song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L7UAyQ83Yg

Tom said:
That's funny  ;D

Apologies if I say that I hate Las Vegas; I visit maybe once in 10 years, and usually under duress. Hope I don't offend our forum friends who live in a beautiful place in LV  ???

I have put my foot down with my wife, I have spent my last summer in Las Vegas, they are a merciless four months of 100+ degree days. So I hear you and I also can appreciate your disdain for this town, which is not the town I grew up in.

Gizmo said:
My thought exactly.
Best in the nation. I wear shorts, polo shirts and sandals all year long. The weather never gets too hot and never gets too cold. I am always comfortable. I know a lot of people hate the humidity but it has no effect on me. We do have a lot of rain in the summer but then again we don't get an eight year drought like California.

Back
Top Bottom