1987 Ford Econoline / Jamboree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasonmoorer78

Hey there guys! I am new here so go easy on me. LOL.  I have just recently picked up a 1987 Jamboree with the Ford chassis. It only has 44000 on it and a pretty good find. My question is, The motor idles and runs great until I try and put it in gear. Then it begins to stumble and dies. PLEASE help with ant suggestions on where to start looking to rectify the situation. Thank you so much. 

Welcome to The RV Forum!

The fuel injected 460 cubic inch engine was introduced by Ford in the middle of the 1987 model year, so you may have either it or the older carbureted engine.  The version you have will determine the troubleshooting.  Do you know how to tell one from the other?

One clue is the type of transmission it's mated with.  If it's a straight 3 speed automatic you likely have a carburetor engine.  If it has the 4th Overdrive gear it's likely the fuel injected engine.

Ford didn't introduce EFI on the 460 until the 1988 model year chassis. If you are on a 87 chassis you have a carb. The first thing I would look for is a vacuum leak. Those old vacuum hoses do fail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom