Tell us what you would change about your current RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
You already told us what you love about your current RV (and still can), but what would you change about it if you could? It can be a new mod, a color, or even longer or shorter.  And please don't say you wish it was paid for! That is a given.  ::)

I will start. My new bus came with most everything I we wanted as we ordered it (a new experience for us). But one mod that is still on my list is adding an articulating mount to our outside TV. We enjoy and use it often, but being able to turn it to avoid daytime glare would be huge.  And it's one that I will eventually get around to.  :))

What about you?

For me it would be tighter steering angle wheel cut, being under 30 feet helps getting in and out of places, but it is still very limited by the steering angle.  Also I would like better stability at speed and in cross winds, I already have a number of suspension mods, which do help, I just wish they helped more.

Better quality faux leather upholstery
Bigger grey tank
shorter toilet (they mounted it on top of a platform to make room for the black tank below...but it puts the seat height oddly high above the floor)
more capacity on the rear axle and more tow capacity
larger black tank
auto-levelers
better quality cabinet construction
oh, and higher load range wheels and tires to go along with that new rear axle....

ah....scratch all that about axles and tires.... I'd take my house off the E-450, put in the bigger tanks and stuff, put it on an F-550 chassis or an F-650 with the upgraded amenity package...is that the Lariat for Ford?... you know with heated and cooled leather seats, upgraded sound, in dash navigation...the whole deal... 8)

Isaac-1 said:
For me it would be tighter steering angle wheel cut, being under 30 feet helps getting in and out of places, but it is still very limited by the steering angle.  Also I would like better stability at speed and in cross winds, I already have a number of suspension mods, which do help, I just wish they helped more.

Isaac, list your RV type in your signature, it would really help someone shopping out RV's. 

blw2 said:
Bigger grey tank
shorter toilet (they mounted it on top of a platform to make room for the black tank below...but it puts the seat height oddly high above the floor)

I hear you Brad. I have never understood why some manufacturers will make the Gray and Black tanks the same size. We always use way more gray water than black. 

And have you tried to put a small step of sorts in front of the toilet to make it easier to sit on? Or maybe a few thick floor pads depending on the amount of the raise you need.

Sturdier baggage doors with slam latches and magnets to hold them open. A friend of mine had these on his Shadow Cruiser TT. Ironically he sold that after a year and bought a Hideout 5th wheel like mine. First thing he said was "Man I miss those latches".

An extra step going upstairs - we have two (floor - step - floor) but they are probably about 9" high and can be tough for little kids or older folks (which I feel like more and more these days!  ;) ).

A railing for those stairs wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Winnebago Trend, all of 24 feet so there's not much room for much of a change.  But !!  I'd like a recliner or club chair rather then the passenger seat or the dinette as my dog uses the "love seat" as his place.  Hey, there's no floor space for a 100 pound lab the size of a shetland pony!  Can't reconfigure the dinette as the water tank is under the seat.  I'd also like a larger water tank and smaller black.  But I still like that it goes anywhere and fits everywhere. 

I think larger tanks are a given for almost everybody. I think 500 gallons of fresh, 250 for black and about 350 or so for gray would work for most of us.  ;D

SargeW said:
And have you tried to put a small step of sorts in front of the toilet to make it easier to sit on? Or maybe a few thick floor pads depending on the amount of the raise you need.

I have considered it a few times but no we never have.  It's not that bad and we are not full timing so it's really just a minor thing.  Anything we put there would get in the way of the lav sink anyway....  it's just one of those things....  Thanks for the idea though!

steps.... that's one thing i should have put in the like thread!  Ours doesn't have any mechanized steps at all.  Bottom step is the right height above the ground...and DW especially likes that it's not too far of a climb up.  that was a selling point when we were shopping.  I had forgotten that....

We should have gotten the double pane windows in our rig. They were available, but we were towing with a Tundra at the time, and the double pane windows were significantly heavier. Oh well, the trailer is still pretty good in cold weather.

Sarge, A few items: In a "Perfect World", changes we would make to our 5th wheel

• replace computer desk with cabinetry that could also be utilized as a gun cabinet
  • put cabinetry above dinette in the slide-out and reduce size of window
  • reduce size of rear picture window while still keeping the aesthetic appeal  (less heat loss for winter camping)
  • reduce size of hanging clothes area in mirrored wardrobe area and add shelving for clothes/storage
  • add electric steps (had electric steps on previous unit, wife really liked them)
  • Replace dishwasher with matching cabinetry

Obviously, DW made this list!!  :)

DW said I could start on the list immediately!    ;D

On the class c: we've on had it a few weeks, so the list may get longer
  • a rear bed that you can walk around
  • Hellwig Sway Bars ( this one is mine)

[/list]

I would like to have a small closet type cabinet in the living area for an overnight guest who is sleeping on the sofa to have a place to hang some clothes and store a small bag.  We occasionally have a guest tag along with us and we put their clothes in our bedroom, which means they have to wait until we get up (yes we are late sleepers) to access their clothes.  Not huge, but it's something I'd like.

Steve

Better insulation to keep things cooler in the summer. The front of our class A has zero Insulation and a Great big windshield (which I like) that helps heat things up.

As others have mentioned, a larger grey tank. As we seldom dry camp, we could get away with a smaller freshwater tank if it meant making room for a larger grey tank. We have an outside shower, but I'd like it on the other (curb) side, under the awning, or at least closer to the doors!  I built drawers in what was otherwise wasted space, on each side of the bed and under one bench of the dinette, but it would have been nice if I didn't have to. I'd also like to have an outside light on the street side of the trailer. Otherwise, we're very pleased with our trailer.

The inability to turn the water pump on OR off from any switch location, i.e., if it's on, turn it off and vice versa. My 1994 Bounder had this capability, yet my current coach only allows me to turn the pump on from various locations, for example, the wet bay. Then, if that switch is left on, the pump cannot be turned off from any other location, including the "main" switch at the status panel. I've gotten used to it, but for heaven's sake!  ???

#2: Genset accessibility. When I was shopping for our current rig a slide out genset was a "must have". And I have one. But the Powertech genset access panels are still very difficult to get to even when the genset is out. And some maintenance items, such as the rear carrier bearing which Powertech suggests changing every 500 hours, requires several hours of time to get to and replace. Very poor design.

#3: As Memtb suggests, upper cabinets in living/dining slideout.

Back
Top Bottom