Tell us what you would change about your current RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kdbgoat said:
I think larger tanks are a given for almost everybody. I think 500 gallons of fresh, 250 for black and about 350 or so for gray would work for most of us.  ;D

I go with this idea.  Of course full hook ups solve this problem since I can't tow a tanker truck.

Forgot to add: moving the generator (altho I have no idea where) from under the body in the center of the rear axle.  Makes checking the oil difficult.  I am not fond at all of shimmying under my Trend, no matter it won't go anywhere or fall on me.  :p

blw2 said:
I have considered it a few times but no we never have.  It's not that bad and we are not full timing so it's really just a minor thing.  Anything we put there would get in the way of the lav sink anyway....  it's just one of those things....  Thanks for the idea though!
Maybe someone changed the toilet and put a higher one in. They come in all different heights.

Like most everything about the new motorhome.  The only thing we miss on the shorter 32' Aerbus is the maneuverability.  Maria misses the oven.  Unfortunately it's not likely we'll ever have one in the Pace Arrow.  That would involve cutting through the counter top.  We made a decision to go with another gasser and that's the only thing I would change.  While not likely to purchase another, it would be a diesel if we do.  Just too many hills in the West and while a few will say the motorhome sits for the most part we really do a lot of driving.  Probably 10,000 or more per year and that's usually during a 3 or 4 month trip.  The Vortec 8.1 Pace is much noisier than the old Aerbus with it's Ford V10.  Given my age, it's not likely we'll be buying another. 

Several years ago we looked at a fifth wheel that had a slide in the nose.  It was for the bed came out about 1 1/2 to 2 feet.  Kind of wondered why no one ever made a rear slide.!?!?  Couple feet on the front and several on the back... shorter towing length, but more living space.

Wi1dBi11

• Memtb said:
        Sarge, A few items: In a "Perfect World", changes we would make to our 5th wheel

• replace computer desk with cabinetry that could also be utilized as a gun cabinet
    • put cabinetry above dinette in the slide-out and reduce size of window
    • reduce size of rear picture window while still keeping the aesthetic appeal  (less heat loss for winter camping)
    • reduce size of hanging clothes area in mirrored wardrobe area and add shelving for clothes/storage
    • add electric steps (had electric steps on previous unit, wife really liked them)
    • Replace dishwasher with matching cabinetry

Obviously, DW made this list!!  :)

DW said I could start on the list immediately!    ;D

On the class c: we've on had it a few weeks, so the list may get longer
    • a rear bed that you can walk around
    • Hellwig Sway Bars ( this one is mine)

That's quite a list Todd! Sounds like Marianne has your weekends planned!

rider1520 said:
OR .....the option of a second A.C.

Many folks have added a second (or third) AC unit using the the existing opening of a overhead vent fan.  Something that may be possible in your unit.

Great ideas folks!  Keep em coming!

Wi1dBill said:
Several years ago we looked at a fifth wheel that had a slide in the nose.  It was for the bed came out about 1 1/2 to 2 feet.  Kind of wondered why no one ever made a rear slide.!?!?  Couple feet on the front and several on the back... shorter towing length, but more living space.
Wi1dBi11

I have seen one with a rear end slide Bill, but it's been a while and they are not real common. I haven't seen a slide that comes straight out of the nose though.  There was a Canadian company that made a 5ver for a while that had a "stepped up" nose on it.  It added another 3' or so to the front of the 5ver and it just about went over the cab of the truck.  It created a lot of space in the bedroom with the north/south bed.  I almost bought one, but my wallet couldn't take it.

Kevin Means said:
How about a coffee maker...? when you spend 300K on a motorhome that doesn't come with a coffee maker, ya gotta wonder!

Kev
Ah, but what type of coffee maker? We use a expresso maker for our morning lattes. I would just throw away (well, send to Salvation Army) any drip coffee maker. Then again, there are the French Press aficionados, and those who prefer percolators. Ooh, we could transform this topic into a "What type of coffee maker do you use?" We haven't had that for at least a month or two.

UTTransplant said:
Ah, but what type of coffee maker? We use a expresso maker for our morning lattes. I would just throw away (well, send to Salvation Army) any drip coffee maker. Then again, there are the French Press aficionados, and those who prefer percolators. Ooh, we could transform this topic into a "What type of coffee maker do you use?" We haven't had that for at least a month or two.

The is nothing quite like "the sound of a perculator in the morning"! And...."gasp" on the stove top (propane)!  ;D  This was our most recent "upgrade" to our (new to us) class c mh.Looking forward to  " breaking it in"!

Coffee: Try Community Coffee, from Louisiana. Made with Arabica Bean "they were Arabica Bean...before Arabica Bean was cool"! ;)  They've been around since about 1900. I've been a consumer since I was about 5 (coffee- milk at my grandparents home), and that was a long time ago! I "do not" however, recommend the "chicory" blend! Unless you much "tougher" than I! ;)

Things on the plan for our ACE 30.1
- Sumo Springs all 4 wheels
- Replace jackknife sofa with a reclining sofa

Wish list
- Roof top solar - 400 W (have 100W suitcase portable)
- Battery expansion to 4 6-volt AGM batteries (have 2 6-volt flooded batteries)
- Inverter - 1000W or so (I have a 300 watt portable)

Wish it came with, but unlikely to actually do
- 50 Amp service
- Second air conditioner

Already done
- Safe-T-Plus
- Koni FSD shocks
- SuperSteer Rear Track Bar
- CHF - front and rear
- SeeLevel tank monitoring system
- Bogart Battery Monitor
- Honeywell digital thermostat
- New curtains for all windows and removed OEM blinds
- Screen for rear window

Scott reminded me of one....
I'd like to have a master switch panel up on the dash, where I could control everything while driving
generator (I already put in one for this), air conditioner, fridge, lights, water pump, etc...

blw2 said:
where I could control everything while driving
generator
(I already put in one for this), air conditioner, fridge, lights, water pump, etc...

Brad, you drive your generator?  :eek: ::) ;D

Brad reminded me of a bigee for me.  I wish I had a thermostat for the basement air on the dash.  I hate having to get up and go adjust the air while driving :eek:

Steve

What we would shop for if we were in the market for a new Class A motorhome (and we might be):

1. The best chassis enhancements available so we wouldn't have to retrofit to improve handling, ride and alignment.
2. Easy access to the engine so we wouldn't be charged 1.5 x normal shop rates when we had the unit serviced.
3. King size bed is a must.
4. Cabinets that shut and stay shut no matter what the road conditions are or how many sharp turns we may take at whatever speeds.
5. Satellites and a Direct TV receiver or receivers Hooked up and ready to go.
6. Top appliances and other components sourced from manufacturers who retail through Home Depot, Costco and other stores. Don't subject us to the RV industry vendors who have and exploit their carefully built and executed monopolies.
7. Strong, smart and easily winterized fresh water and sewer systems that don't have to be serviced by Camping World or its competitors.
8. Beautifully written and illustrated user manuals for the coach and all appliances and other components in print and online with YouTube videos.
9. Computer stations and desks instead of numerous couches that waste space and are never used, at least not by us.
10. Eight or 10 cup holders and storage compartments in the cockpit.
11. Good door screens.
12. Michelin tires.
13. Water, gray and black tank sensors that provide useful and reliable information.
14. Tool kits with every tool you will need to perform minor and routine maintenance jobs.
15. The quietist HVAC system possible.
16. MOST IMPORTANT: Quality assurance that ensures that we will not have to fix things missed at the factory and dealer. We don't want to return to our dealer several times in the first months we have the unit. Police dealers to make sure they do their jobs before delivering new units.

We love our Cougar 21rbswe, so much we bought a used one 2015 and then a new one 2017 model, when they upgraded to a king bed... The one thing, and only thing, we wish Keystone would change.... The outside shower is placed under the awning, where you put your rug down, two chairs and table... ha... like you can use the shower there??????????????????  What the H... I need to write Keystone. Doesn't everyone put their awning out, put rug and chairs under it... ?? so how do you use the shower, with cold and hot water!

There are a couple of things my DW & I would change on our new MH. We would go back to the tried & true propane/electric fridge. We have never had an issue with them keeping our food cold. The residential fridge however... not so much when dry camping. We had two brand new deep cycle 6v batteries installed right after purchase. First time out boondocking we were awakened by the low battery alarm. I have since installed two more batteries.
  The other thing is changing the power source so both the slide & levelers will function with ignition on or off. One or the other! It drove us nuts trying to remember which was which when we first bought the unit! We got REALLY upset one evening after stopping for the night. We parked, shut the engine off, then tried to level up, nothing, oh, ya, I said. Turned the key on, leveled up, great. Then, tried to extend the slide, again, nothing. Shyte. 3-4 minutes later is was, oh, crap... the key is on! To our deffense, it was on our trip home from buying it in S.C. We were pretty tired from haulin' butt all day. 

What about having a washer/dryer if there isn't one in your RV?  It's barely mentioned by anyone, so far, which means everyone has one or it's really not that important.  I am shopping RVs and I am finding that most of my favorites have no washer/dryer set up.  I've been ruling those out, because back in the day when I didn't have these in my house, the laundromat was the only option.  Are laundromats different in RV parks?  My experiences have been not so good: machines not working, dryers too hot, people leaving clothes in washer or dryer and leaving, people taking up several machines at once, children who are out of control, etc.  It's not always bad, but in a shopping center's laundromat, you never know what you're going to get.  This makes me worried about buying an RV that has everything I want except a washer/dryer.  Are laundromats in an RV park a nice place to chat and get to know the people and tend to your machine as needed or is it hit or miss?

Back
Top Bottom