Tell us what you would change about your current RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At least one with the "cigarette lighter" plug and a couple USB type. 

USB plugs are NOT 12V normally, they are typically 5VDC. You could ruin a lot of expensive electronics connecting to a 12V version should you choose to install one that way.

Alfa38User said:
USB plugs are NOT 12V normally, they are typically 5VDC. You could ruin a lot of expensive electronics connecting to a 12V version should you choose to install one that way.

There are many 12-volt powered 5-volt USB power supplies available, just as there are many 120-volt to 5-volt USB power supplies available. Off hand, I don't recall ever seeing a 12-volt outlet with 12-volt USB configured outlet.

Go ahead!! But if you examine them you will find they have circuitry to reduce the 12V to 5V on the USB side. What I was concerned about was what I thought might be a suggestion to wire a 12V supply to that type of plug, not a commercial product that had that feature built in.  Just my bad interpretation of the initial wording, I guess.... :-[

Maybe I got side tracked. New TC I am looking at (no AC) has wall built 12v port with 4 usb. Sorry if I confused things.

Steve N Dee said:
Brad reminded me of a bigee for me.  I wish I had a thermostat for the basement air on the dash.  I hate having to get up and go adjust the air while driving :eek:

Steve

Thanks for reminding me Steve.  I would like the same for the same reasons and to also shut off the air before I shut down the generator - from the drivers seat.

I bought my first RV just about a month ago and I'm already making a list of the things I want to change when I trade it in for my second RV someday in the future. I don't know enough about the mechanical side of things, yet, to add any of those items, but they will probably come with time.  Right now, here are the changes I would make: 1. I insisted on my RV having a washer/dryer and that limited my choices a lot. Now I realize that next time I will either get my RV with separate washer and dryer or nothing at all. I don't like the combo.  2.  Also, I want my next RV to have basement doors that slide out with the slides instead of having to crawl beneath the slides to get to the doors.  3.  AND, next time I will record every word the seller says when showing me around the RV.  I didn't do it with this one and it would be extremely helpful to be able to replay most of what he said...sometimes play it over and over.  I am apparently slow to learn something new.  I have so many questions every day and just make a stab at it most times.  So, that's my three changes, so far. 

About those storage bins that move with the slide. 
My last coach was an '89 Sportscoach with no slides.  We carry an 8 section dog pen with us.  That Sportscoach had 3 compartments in the basement that went all the way across the coach and any of the 3 would easily hold the pieces of the dog pen.
Fast forward to last year when I traded for this '00 Bounder with a slide(and storage compartments that move with it).  I have plenty of basement storage for most of my stuff, but only one compartment deep enough to take that dog pen.  Only problem with that is that there is floor bracing in that compartment and not enough space to fit the pieces of the pen between the verticle bracing.
If I ever get another coach, I'll look for one without the moveable bays.  Tired of filling the back of my Jeep with the dog pen when we're moving.  Also means we couldn't take the dog pen if for some reason we didn't want to take the toad.

2.  Also, I want my next RV to have basement doors that slide out with the slides instead of having to crawl beneath the slides to get to the doors.

I agree with Wally. Those bins that move with the slides are pretty shallow and so carrying folding ladders, pop-up shelters, folding tables and other larger things becomes impossible. Granted that the non-moving bins are more convenient to access, but the loss of space is, to me, a bad trade-off.

My first motor home had movable storage bins as well. Another downside I discovered was that when I pulled into a campsite that was tight due to bushes or natural or man made improvements (block walls, ect) when I extended the slides I may not be able to open the bay doors due to being too close to the obstruction.  It didn't happen a lot, but it was always a constant concern. 

SargeW said:
My first motor home had movable storage bins as well. Another downside I discovered was that when I pulled into a campsite that was tight due to bushes or natural or man made improvements (block walls, ect) when I extended the slides I may not be able to open the bay doors due to being too close to the obstruction.  It didn't happen a lot, but it was always a constant concern.

More times than I care to mention I compute the width of the slideout and the location of the nearest tree and then slide the coach right in perfectly...............only to find that the storage bin where I keep the water hose and other hookup items is right against the tree and cannot be opened.  You would think a guy would learn but senior moments abound with me.

Bill

SargeW said:

Even when there's plenty of space it pays to take a look before setting up.  This happened to us a week ago after the slides were deployed.  Got out and discovered one of the bays was blocked by a post.  We could have backed up but after the slides were out, well you know what I mean.  :-[  A little site survey is in order from time to time. 

that reminds me...once a long time ago either at Oshkosh or Sun n Fun, I saw a Grumman Albatross, or some other similar flying boat, outfitted as a really nice looking RV.  That was long before I was into RVing, but I've often thought about that bird when dreaming of my "next RV"

About the only thing I would change on our 95 Bounder is the exterior. Maybe I'll find time to gussy it up a little next year.
It carries 100 gallons of fresh water, has two 50 gallon waste tanks and I added a gray water to black tank transfer pump.

Yeah, I never understood why some builders put in such a large black tank. We use way more gray water than black. But the tanks in the Tiffin are 70 gray and 50 black. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom