Tell us what you would change about your current RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
King Bed
Second bathroom
Stacked washer & dryer
Outside TV (without losing most of a cabinet)
Pass through storage
Residential refrigerator (and the battery capacity to run it off grid)
Another hundred horsepower.
A cabinet to store a few guitars.
Locking gun safe under the bedside cabinet.
A smart steering wheel with radio controls.
And most of all: a cup holder closer to the driver.

John From Detroit said:
The toilet in the half bath.. It is a "Round seat" style. When I replce it it will be an oval seat.
A quick trip to HD or Lowes John. That was always one of the first mods on a new RV!

BruceinFL said:
Get rid of those dadgummed pita day/night shades. :mad: :)

I hated mint too Bruce. I restrung them for a while, but that got old fast. I changed them out with a quality set of roller shades and dumped the D&S shades  in the trash.

I would change the ABS sensor technology for my Workhorse chassis.  I have now replaced 2 sensors, cleaned and reseated all of the  current sensors and connectors, and have ordered another new one to swap out to try to get the ABS code from continually popping up.  This issue has been plaguing me since I bought this last year.

After struggling with heavy traffic for an hour and a half  :mad: looking for a gas station we could get into, I'm wishing I could change my Workhorse 8.1 to a Cummins diesel. 

I would design the coach to be repaired! Example, had to remove the microwave for repair. It's a standard, household over the range, convection microwave - I've installed several in houses, no difference here. Searching for the install bolts, they are nowhere to be seen. Finally decide a 'false floor' has been installed in the cabinet above the microwave. Hmmmm how to remove? Newmar made the exhaust ducting pretty by hiding it behind a 3-sided paneling box, and it appears the paneling is keeping me from pulling the false floor out to remove the bolts. Hmmm X2. Then I notice a little sticker: "to access microwave mounting screws you must remove this panel and the shelf below." Well ya, I got that, but how? My first thought was that the box was just velcroed in place, one would just pull it out, then pull out the floor. Poking and prying around the box there appears to be no way to "remove" it. Finally, in disbelief, I get it. Newmar put a little spin on their sticker, what they really meant was "to access microwave mounting screws you must dismantle this panel and the shelf below."  :mad:

They installed the microwave, then installed the shelf - stapling it in place. Then they built the 3-panel box around the vent duct, also using staples, then also stapled that in place. This all had to be carefully dismantled, then the floor removed, and finally the microwave mounting bolts were accessible. Sheesh  :mad:

I carefully removed all the staples and when I reinstall will use a couple screws to hold everything in place. (I've since found out the microwave cannot be repaired. Since it's no longer made I'll need to get a new one, and I've found they rarely use the exact same back mounting bracket nor do the mounting holes typically line up, so there's that.  :-\ )

Also, the latch mechanism recently failed on the battery slideout tray, jamming the tray closed. After a couple hours of playing around I managed to get the tray open. The latch is welded into the tray as an integral part - short of removing the batteries, then removing the tray (if that's even possible!) and taking it to a machine shop to grind out the old one and weld in a new one, there is no way to repair the latch. Aaaaaand.... my large basement slideout tray has the same latch and is also showing signs of failure.  :mad:

There are so many other 'time bombs' just ticking away: the woofer for the surround sound is buried behind the dash - the entire dash has to be removed to get to it. The hot water and freon lines for the dash heat and AC were run inside the frame rails - completely inaccessible and impossible (I'm told) to snake new ones when the old ones start leaking. I could go on....

I would have to concur Scott. Putting these rigs together well is important, but rarely is there any thought to the inevitable maintenance that will be down the road.

SargeW said:
I would have to concur Scott. Putting these rigs together well is important, but rarely is there any thought to the inevitable maintenance that will be down the road.

I disagree.  The thought is that they're going to make a lot of money when we need a repair or replacement.  ;)

The manufacturers plate from Winnebago Aspect to Renegade Verona LE.

For the most part I am pretty happy with the work I've done to ours in the past several years.  With the suspension work that I've done it now handles and steers like a dream, the new paint job last year it looks like new, the interior we just redid now makes the inside look almost new again.  I guess I would say the one thing I would like to change on our current rig is racking up more miles.  This work thing is really interfering with my RVing. ;)

As for the wish list, a mid-2000's Prevost is at the very tippy top of the list.  Damnear bought one a few months back and now that's all I can think about, but I think that will have to wait until closer to retirement.  Until then just keep putting miles on our old Dynasty.

Mike

Our Class A is still too new to us to have any wish list to speak of since we only pulled the trigger on this when we suddenly came across a rig that had (almost) everything.  That was after a year of shopping for a used coach to replace our 5er. But ... the 5er had a fireplace. Now when we were first shopping for that 5er I figured an electric fireplace was a weak joke for yuppies. But once I found out that it is a real 1500W heater I changed my thinking.  Plus, it looks pretty good on those cold mornings when my bride is still sleeping and I am quietly sipping a good cuppa in the dark. Having said that, I am joyfully in the process of adding one the coach as we speak.  Ordered it via mail and it should be here in a few days. I'm a carpenter so the cabinetry and mods will be fun.

Well, I don't have a MH yet, but I was at the Tampa show and thought of some things I would like to see in a MH:

--Move the stackable W/D away from the toilet.  DW couldn't begin to understand why you would have to lean over the toilet to wash and dry clothes.
--A rearview full-time camera acting as a rear view mirror (the Cadillac CT6 incorporates this).  Side mirrors are all well and good but I want to see what is directly behind me.
--Some of the MH's had small infotainment screens.  I'd like a screen about the size of my iPad.
--Along that lines, angle the infotainment screen towards the driver.  I saw some MH's where the screen was pointing straight back. I would want it angled to reduce the distance my eyes have to turn to see it.
--A remote infotainment screen for the passenger where they can handle things like changing radio stations, etc.  When you're driving a vehicle of 45,000 pounds or more, you don't want to take your eyes off the road to change radio stations or fiddle with the nav.
--I know some people love the outside mirror cameras but my thought was - "you want me to look right (at the monitor) while I'm making a left hand turn?"

I did see some MH's that met all or most of the above criteria but. . . . not as many as I would have liked.

Back
Top Bottom