Tell us what you would change about your current RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With a washer/dryer in an RV, folks either love them and wouldn't be without one (like my wife) or don't have them and don't really care. We went for several years without them as the RV's we had were not set up for them. Then after getting a rig with one and DW got the experience of having it, it is now a "must have" for any RV we have.

Some RV parks have decent wash facilities, and others are barley adequate. Performance of the machines is always a guess, and 99% of the time are all coin operated. Some are very expensive. We used some while in the Florida Keys some years back and paid $5 a load to wash in a regular size washer.  And folks leaving their wash in a machine and leaving is always an issue. 

So yes, for us a WD is HUGE.  We first had a combo model that would wash then dry all in one machine. It worked OK, but it would take about 3 hours to do a load. We now have a stack-able set that is much faster. Either one is better than using a laundromat for us.

In my Montana, there is a window in the hallway that is just right for the door to hit when the window is open and the wind pulls the door out of your hand. They cost $259. The window could have been placed 18 inches toward the front and avoided this problem.

Better planning with the cabinet doors and the slides could have prevented problems with that.

The day and night curtains are an ongoing pain in the butt.

Our old motorhome had a rear window.  That is the one thing we wanted but weren't able to find in a motorhome we liked.  The other thing that we liked about the old motorhome was the size of the windows.  They were quite large compared to those in many of the newer motorhomes we looked at. 

More windows on the right (usable)side of the unit. Now all of our windows with the exception of one small window over the stove are located on the left side facing the neighbors. We keep the shades drawn most of the time. Just reverse the setup and it would be fine.

SebastianFL said:
What about having a washer/dryer if there isn't one in your RV?  It's barely mentioned by anyone, so far, which means everyone has one or it's really not that important.  I am shopping RVs and I am finding that most of my favorites have no washer/dryer set up.  I've been ruling those out, because back in the day when I didn't have these in my house, the laundromat was the only option.  Are laundromats different in RV parks?  My experiences have been not so good: machines not working, dryers too hot, people leaving clothes in washer or dryer and leaving, people taking up several machines at once, children who are out of control, etc.  It's not always bad, but in a shopping center's laundromat, you never know what you're going to get.  This makes me worried about buying an RV that has everything I want except a washer/dryer.  Are laundromats in an RV park a nice place to chat and get to know the people and tend to your machine as needed or is it hit or miss?
It's kind of hit or miss I remember 4 guys sitting around waiting on the clothes discussing the effects of ultra low sulfur diesel on the engines. ;D

The washer/dryer was a must have on the last 2 units. the current one took some mods to get the stackable in. 8)

I want one of the a/c units to have a heat pump my last one did but this one does not.

SebastianFL said:
What about having a washer/dryer if there isn't one in your RV? 

My wife wanted to install a washer/dryer in our new MH really badly. But, there really isn't a practical place to put one. I always tell her, "why do laundry on vacation?" We haven't started doing any lengthy stays yet.

garyb1st said:
Our old motorhome had a rear window.  That is the one thing we wanted but weren't able to find in a motorhome we liked.  The other thing that we liked about the old motorhome was the size of the windows.  They were quite large compared to those in many of the newer motorhomes we looked at.

We noticed the windows being smaller too. But, once inside they feel pretty much the same. We really like the look of the "frameless" smoked windows on ours.

#4: Adjustable driver and passenger seatbelt anchors. Apparently Newmar thought the average driver would be 7'6"+, as the seatbelt anchor (where it bolts to the wall) is above my head while seated, causing the belt to rub my neck. Yes I use one of those clippy things but still rubs.

#5: A Jake brake. The exhaust brake is OK but not great, and only really works at high RPM.

Good stuff Scott. One of the big things I wanted changed in this current RV was a real Jake instead of an exhaust brake. I have had it 4 months now, and it is amazingly more effective.

SargeW said:
I have had it 4 months now, and it is amazingly more effective.

Green with envy Marty.

Looked into adding one and got two different answers: either my little Cat won't support one, or it will but it'll cost 12K. Either way....  :-\

Yeah, I got the same answer when I looked into adding a Jake to the Phaeton with the ISC. Some were just not designed for it, and no one could justify the cost of developing one.

I'd like to have a two stage engine brake, much like what I had on the Beaver. It was so effective (in high) that I could go down from the Eisenhower Tunnel westbound all the way to Silverthorne without needing the service (foot) brakes. For those not familiar, that's 5% and 6% grades a large part of the 12 or so mile distance and 2,000 foot descent.

glen54737 said:
More 120v outlets.

I am the opposite.  We have plenty of 120 outlets.  I wish we had more 12v and USB ports.  I keep threatening to add some myself, but have not gotten around to it.

glen54737 said:
More 120v outlets.

And BETTER outlets.. I added a 15/20 amp Duplesd (These haver a T Shaped neutral) in the bedfroom 12 ga to a 20 amp dedicated breaker, a 2nd in the living room also 12 ga bent around a screw to a 15 amp breaker. a 15/20 amp SINGLE outlet shared with an air conditioner (These are for space heaters and I figure I don't need heat and A/C at the same time)

And I just added a quad set for the kitchen, also a 15 amp breaker, 12 ga wire from the breaker to the GFCI outlet and from the GFCI to the daisy chained...

Yes MORE OUTLETS espically in the kitchen

I also made a new improvement.. I picked up an 4-channel RF Remote from AllElectronics dot com...

I hooked 1 and 2 to my main slide out controls.. THE receiver gets power from the interlock system so if the engine is running this system is DEAD!!!.. but when I park I can now extend (or Retract) the main slider from anywhere in... or near... the RV.. THus the big box in the isle.. I don't have to climb over it.

I also would like more 12 volt outlets.  At least one with the "cigarette lighter" plug and a couple USB type.  I have an outside shower on the back of my unit, which is PERFECT because it comes right off the water heater right beside it, but I wish I had a 12v light back there.  There is a nice outside light on the left rear of the unit which is great when hooking up, unhooking and draining sewer in the dark.  I also wish my unit had an awning that covered both doors and a light beside the bedroom door.  We LOVE the "residential" shower and porcelain toilet in the bathroom. 

I would like to have the air conditioners on the roof instead in the basement.  It would give me more storage room and less noise right by my ear when I am sleeping (duct goes up to roof next to my side).  Also would be easier to access them.  Thankfully I have not yet experienced the disconnected ducting that many with basement units have encountered.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom