EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Tell us what you would change about your current RV?  (Read 2195 times)

Denver Transplant

• ---
Re: Tell us what you would change about your current RV?
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2017, 10:54:25 AM »
Things on the plan for our ACE 30.1
 - Sumo Springs all 4 wheels
 - Replace jackknife sofa with a reclining sofa

Wish list
 - Roof top solar - 400 W (have 100W suitcase portable)
 - Battery expansion to 4 6-volt AGM batteries (have 2 6-volt flooded batteries)
 - Inverter - 1000W or so (I have a 300 watt portable)

Wish it came with, but unlikely to actually do
 - 50 Amp service
 - Second air conditioner

Already done
 - Safe-T-Plus
 - Koni FSD shocks
 - SuperSteer Rear Track Bar
 - CHF - front and rear
 - SeeLevel tank monitoring system
 - Bogart Battery Monitor
 - Honeywell digital thermostat
 - New curtains for all windows and removed OEM blinds
 - Screen for rear window
Aurora, CO
2017 ACE 30.1
2015 Mini Cooper S 2dr Hardtop
American Car Dolly

blw2

• ---
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2017, 12:48:29 PM »
Scott reminded me of one....
I'd like to have a master switch panel up on the dash, where I could control everything while driving
generator (I already put in one for this), air conditioner, fridge, lights, water pump, etc...
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2017, 02:50:46 PM »
where I could control everything while driving
generator
(I already put in one for this), air conditioner, fridge, lights, water pump, etc...

Brad, you drive your generator?   :o ::) ;D
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

demag88

• ---
  • paul&retta
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2017, 02:59:46 PM »
A bigger grey tank and bedroom slide
1999 pace arrow

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2017, 03:08:09 PM »
Brad, you drive your generator?   :o ::) ;D

Yes he does. He drove it right over that comma ;D
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Steve N Dee

• ---
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2017, 06:37:19 PM »
Brad reminded me of a bigee for me.  I wish I had a thermostat for the basement air on the dash.  I hate having to get up and go adjust the air while driving :o

Steve
Steve & Dee - Racing towards retirement
Fritz & DJ, (the boys)
2005 Winnebago Journey 34H Diesel Pusher
2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD Toad
Burbank, CA

On time.....is when we get there

Oldedit

• ---
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2017, 07:07:50 PM »
What we would shop for if we were in the market for a new Class A motorhome (and we might be):

1. The best chassis enhancements available so we wouldn't have to retrofit to improve handling, ride and alignment.
2. Easy access to the engine so we wouldn't be charged 1.5 x normal shop rates when we had the unit serviced.
3. King size bed is a must.
4. Cabinets that shut and stay shut no matter what the road conditions are or how many sharp turns we may take at whatever speeds.
5. Satellites and a Direct TV receiver or receivers Hooked up and ready to go.
6. Top appliances and other components sourced from manufacturers who retail through Home Depot, Costco and other stores. Don't subject us to the RV industry vendors who have and exploit their carefully built and executed monopolies.
7. Strong, smart and easily winterized fresh water and sewer systems that don't have to be serviced by Camping World or its competitors.
8. Beautifully written and illustrated user manuals for the coach and all appliances and other components in print and online with YouTube videos.
9. Computer stations and desks instead of numerous couches that waste space and are never used, at least not by us.
10. Eight or 10 cup holders and storage compartments in the cockpit.
11. Good door screens.
12. Michelin tires.
13. Water, gray and black tank sensors that provide useful and reliable information.
14. Tool kits with every tool you will need to perform minor and routine maintenance jobs.
15. The quietist HVAC system possible.
16. MOST IMPORTANT: Quality assurance that ensures that we will not have to fix things missed at the factory and dealer. We don't want to return to our dealer several times in the first months we have the unit. Police dealers to make sure they do their jobs before delivering new units.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 07:59:15 PM by Oldedit »
2014 Newmar Ventana 4037 12.17-
2013 Itasca Reyo T 2012-12.12.17
2006 Roadtrek Adventurous Mercedes (Freightliner)
Colorado 2009-2012
Toad: 2016 Jeep Patriot Stick with Blue Ox

tanglemoose

• ---
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2017, 08:34:21 PM »
We love our Cougar 21rbswe, so much we bought a used one 2015 and then a new one 2017 model, when they upgraded to a king bed... The one thing, and only thing, we wish Keystone would change.... The outside shower is placed under the awning, where you put your rug down, two chairs and table... ha... like you can use the shower there??????????????????  What the H... I need to write Keystone. Doesn't everyone put their awning out, put rug and chairs under it... ?? so how do you use the shower, with cold and hot water!

Donna and Mark
and our Golden Lexie
New 2017 TT Keystone Cougar  Same model... but NEW Features!
2015 Keystone Cougar 1/2 Ton Series, 21rbswe, 26'
2013 Toyota Tundra
Living in Cold Montana Country.....

99dart

• ---
  • If it ain't broke...don't fix it!
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2017, 09:24:19 PM »
There are a couple of things my DW & I would change on our new MH. We would go back to the tried & true propane/electric fridge. We have never had an issue with them keeping our food cold. The residential fridge however... not so much when dry camping. We had two brand new deep cycle 6v batteries installed right after purchase. First time out boondocking we were awakened by the low battery alarm. I have since installed two more batteries.
  The other thing is changing the power source so both the slide & levelers will function with ignition on or off. One or the other! It drove us nuts trying to remember which was which when we first bought the unit! We got REALLY upset one evening after stopping for the night. We parked, shut the engine off, then tried to level up, nothing, oh, ya, I said. Turned the key on, leveled up, great. Then, tried to extend the slide, again, nothing. Shyte. 3-4 minutes later is was, oh, crap... the key is on! To our deffense, it was on our trip home from buying it in S.C. We were pretty tired from haulin' butt all day. 
2016 Thor Quantum WS31
2014 Ford Focus toad
1998 Four Winds Chateau -- sold

SebastianFL

• ---
  • I bought my very first RV on Nov. 1, 2017.
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2017, 05:17:32 AM »
What about having a washer/dryer if there isn't one in your RV?  It's barely mentioned by anyone, so far, which means everyone has one or it's really not that important.  I am shopping RVs and I am finding that most of my favorites have no washer/dryer set up.  I've been ruling those out, because back in the day when I didn't have these in my house, the laundromat was the only option.  Are laundromats different in RV parks?  My experiences have been not so good: machines not working, dryers too hot, people leaving clothes in washer or dryer and leaving, people taking up several machines at once, children who are out of control, etc.  It's not always bad, but in a shopping center's laundromat, you never know what you're going to get.  This makes me worried about buying an RV that has everything I want except a washer/dryer.  Are laundromats in an RV park a nice place to chat and get to know the people and tend to your machine as needed or is it hit or miss?
2004 Newmar MountainAire 4018
2011 Lexus CT200 hybrid

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2017, 06:55:51 AM »
With a washer/dryer in an RV, folks either love them and wouldn't be without one (like my wife) or don't have them and don't really care. We went for several years without them as the RV's we had were not set up for them. Then after getting a rig with one and DW got the experience of having it, it is now a "must have" for any RV we have.

Some RV parks have decent wash facilities, and others are barley adequate. Performance of the machines is always a guess, and 99% of the time are all coin operated. Some are very expensive. We used some while in the Florida Keys some years back and paid $5 a load to wash in a regular size washer.  And folks leaving their wash in a machine and leaving is always an issue. 

So yes, for us a WD is HUGE.  We first had a combo model that would wash then dry all in one machine. It worked OK, but it would take about 3 hours to do a load. We now have a stack-able set that is much faster. Either one is better than using a laundromat for us.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

halfwright

• ---
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2017, 07:05:35 AM »
In my Montana, there is a window in the hallway that is just right for the door to hit when the window is open and the wind pulls the door out of your hand. They cost $259. The window could have been placed 18 inches toward the front and avoided this problem.

Better planning with the cabinet doors and the slides could have prevented problems with that.

The day and night curtains are an ongoing pain in the butt.
Jim And Darlene Wright
Full-timing with
Ryder, half poodle-- half garbage disposal
All in a
2007 Montana Mountaineer
2002 F250 Super duty 7.3 liter

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2017, 10:01:12 AM »
Our old motorhome had a rear window.   That is the one thing we wanted but weren't able to find in a motorhome we liked.  The other thing that we liked about the old motorhome was the size of the windows.  They were quite large compared to those in many of the newer motorhomes we looked at. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

martin2340

• ---
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2017, 10:16:54 AM »
More windows on the right (usable)side of the unit. Now all of our windows with the exception of one small window over the stove are located on the left side facing the neighbors. We keep the shades drawn most of the time. Just reverse the setup and it would be fine.
Joe & Mari from Sanatoga PA
2010 F-150 Lariat 4X4 Heavy Duty Tow package(gone 7-17)
2017 F-250 Lariat 4X4 6.7 turbo diesel
2014 Sunset Trail 32rl
2002 Pearl White Road King Classic
Homebase: SE PA Sanatoga I can see the Limerick Power Plant from here

glen54737

• ---
  • My camping buddy
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2017, 01:10:31 PM »
What about having a washer/dryer if there isn't one in your RV?  It's barely mentioned by anyone, so far, which means everyone has one or it's really not that important.  I am shopping RVs and I am finding that most of my favorites have no washer/dryer set up.  I've been ruling those out, because back in the day when I didn't have these in my house, the laundromat was the only option.  Are laundromats different in RV parks?  My experiences have been not so good: machines not working, dryers too hot, people leaving clothes in washer or dryer and leaving, people taking up several machines at once, children who are out of control, etc.  It's not always bad, but in a shopping center's laundromat, you never know what you're going to get.  This makes me worried about buying an RV that has everything I want except a washer/dryer.  Are laundromats in an RV park a nice place to chat and get to know the people and tend to your machine as needed or is it hit or miss?
It's kind of hit or miss I remember 4 guys sitting around waiting on the clothes discussing the effects of ultra low sulfur diesel on the engines. ;D

The washer/dryer was a must have on the last 2 units. the current one took some mods to get the stackable in. 8)

I want one of the a/c units to have a heat pump my last one did but this one does not.
2018 Thor Miramar 35.2
2015 F-350 CC short box 6.7l 3.55 axle
2015 Alpine 3510RE-sold

Glen,Nene
Mickey & Jayco (yorkies)

99dart

• ---
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2017, 02:40:31 PM »
What about having a washer/dryer if there isn't one in your RV? 

My wife wanted to install a washer/dryer in our new MH really badly. But, there really isn't a practical place to put one. I always tell her, "why do laundry on vacation?" We haven't started doing any lengthy stays yet.
2016 Thor Quantum WS31
2014 Ford Focus toad

99dart

• ---
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2017, 02:45:07 PM »
Our old motorhome had a rear window.   That is the one thing we wanted but weren't able to find in a motorhome we liked.  The other thing that we liked about the old motorhome was the size of the windows.  They were quite large compared to those in many of the newer motorhomes we looked at.

We noticed the windows being smaller too. But, once inside they feel pretty much the same. We really like the look of the "frameless" smoked windows on ours.
2016 Thor Quantum WS31
2014 Ford Focus toad

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2017, 08:27:48 PM »
#4: Adjustable driver and passenger seatbelt anchors. Apparently Newmar thought the average driver would be 7'6"+, as the seatbelt anchor (where it bolts to the wall) is above my head while seated, causing the belt to rub my neck. Yes I use one of those clippy things but still rubs.

#5: A Jake brake. The exhaust brake is OK but not great, and only really works at high RPM.
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2017, 08:33:17 PM »
Good stuff Scott. One of the big things I wanted changed in this current RV was a real Jake instead of an exhaust brake. I have had it 4 months now, and it is amazingly more effective.
Marty--

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2017, 09:43:12 PM »
I have had it 4 months now, and it is amazingly more effective.

Green with envy Marty.

Looked into adding one and got two different answers: either my little Cat won't support one, or it will but it'll cost 12K. Either way....  :-\
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2017, 07:38:43 AM »
Yeah, I got the same answer when I looked into adding a Jake to the Phaeton with the ISC. Some were just not designed for it, and no one could justify the cost of developing one.
Marty--

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2017, 07:39:21 AM »
I'd like to have a two stage engine brake, much like what I had on the Beaver. It was so effective (in high) that I could go down from the Eisenhower Tunnel westbound all the way to Silverthorne without needing the service (foot) brakes. For those not familiar, that's 5% and 6% grades a large part of the 12 or so mile distance and 2,000 foot descent.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2017, 07:57:15 AM »
I would really love to install a beautiful blonde in the bedroom... :-*
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2017, 08:48:35 AM »
I'd like digital thermostats for the HVAC. And if digital they might as well be programable.

Tom
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C
Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

martin2340

• ---
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2017, 10:19:36 AM »
I would really love to install a beautiful blonde in the bedroom... :-*

I already have a beautiful blonde, I call her Shadow a 9year old Golden Blonde Retriever👌👌👌
Joe & Mari from Sanatoga PA
2010 F-150 Lariat 4X4 Heavy Duty Tow package(gone 7-17)
2017 F-250 Lariat 4X4 6.7 turbo diesel
2014 Sunset Trail 32rl
2002 Pearl White Road King Classic
Homebase: SE PA Sanatoga I can see the Limerick Power Plant from here

glen54737

• ---
  • My camping buddy
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2017, 03:07:46 PM »
More 120v outlets.
2018 Thor Miramar 35.2
2015 F-350 CC short box 6.7l 3.55 axle
2015 Alpine 3510RE-sold

Glen,Nene
Mickey & Jayco (yorkies)

dave54

• ---
  • Old guy. Loves being outdoors
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2017, 09:19:13 PM »
More 120v outlets.

I am the opposite.  We have plenty of 120 outlets.  I wish we had more 12v and USB ports.  I keep threatening to add some myself, but have not gotten around to it.
I never get lost.  I just have unplanned adventures.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2017, 07:27:41 AM »
More 120v outlets.

And BETTER outlets.. I added a 15/20 amp Duplesd (These haver a T Shaped neutral) in the bedfroom 12 ga to a 20 amp dedicated breaker, a 2nd in the living room also 12 ga bent around a screw to a 15 amp breaker. a 15/20 amp SINGLE outlet shared with an air conditioner (These are for space heaters and I figure I don't need heat and A/C at the same time)

And I just added a quad set for the kitchen, also a 15 amp breaker, 12 ga wire from the breaker to the GFCI outlet and from the GFCI to the daisy chained...

Yes MORE OUTLETS espically in the kitchen

I also made a new improvement.. I picked up an 4-channel RF Remote from AllElectronics dot com...

I hooked 1 and 2 to my main slide out controls.. THE receiver gets power from the interlock system so if the engine is running this system is DEAD!!!.. but when I park I can now extend (or Retract) the main slider from anywhere in... or near... the RV.. THus the big box in the isle.. I don't have to climb over it.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

gravesdiesel

• ---
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2017, 01:02:53 PM »
I also would like more 12 volt outlets.  At least one with the "cigarette lighter" plug and a couple USB type.  I have an outside shower on the back of my unit, which is PERFECT because it comes right off the water heater right beside it, but I wish I had a 12v light back there.  There is a nice outside light on the left rear of the unit which is great when hooking up, unhooking and draining sewer in the dark.  I also wish my unit had an awning that covered both doors and a light beside the bedroom door.  We LOVE the "residential" shower and porcelain toilet in the bathroom.   
2016 KZ Spree 262 RKS
2003 Dodge 3500 4 door flatbed 4x4 diesel, 6 speed
1996 Dodge 3500 extra cab flatbed 4x4 diesel 5 speed
2006 Arctic Cat TRV diesel 4x4 ATV
(2) 1981 Yamaha G1 2 cycle golf carts
Many other diesels on the farm!

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2017, 07:20:46 AM »
I would like to have the air conditioners on the roof instead in the basement.  It would give me more storage room and less noise right by my ear when I am sleeping (duct goes up to roof next to my side).  Also would be easier to access them.  Thankfully I have not yet experienced the disconnected ducting that many with basement units have encountered.

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 8 months

Hosted by Over The Network