Miss Molly doesn't want to use the 5th wheel steps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
Miss Molly, my service dog in training doesn't want to use the 5th wheel metal steps.  I suppose I could "make" her use the steps but I would rather find a better solution.  The front edge on the steps of our 5th wheel are curved.  I've researched "radial" step covers put the reviews aren't great.  I looks like you have to take the covers off each time you want to fold up the steps.  Has anyone found a radial step cover for a 5th wheel that doesn't have to be removed when folding up the steps?  Does anyone have a DIY solution?   

Max I have radiused steps and they do sell some which fit them like a glove. I think I bought mine at CW about 5 years ago. I think the problem is the opening in the back of the step which scares them. My last dog also feared them but having the carpets on the stairs helped a lot.  I don't need to remove mine in order to fold up the steps.  Here's a couple. There are others out there.

https://www.amazon.com/Prest-Fit-2-0201-Wraparound-Radius/dp/B002XM4ZTK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506043359&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+radius+step+rug

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/prest-o-fit-wraparound-radius-rv-step-rug-22-espresso/49187&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp49187&sc_intid=49187?utm_campaign=SC_Shopping_High&affiliateid=6313&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6eCB5tK31gIVCKdpCh0eYg2mEAQYAiABEgKQwfD_BwE

Rene, do your step covers have grommets and spring straps on the bottom?  I was originally looking at the Prest Fit but DH said they won't work because they have to be removed when folding up the steps.  I'll do more research on that brand.  You don't by any chance remember what brand you have?

MN Blue Skies said:
Rene, do your step covers have grommets and spring straps on the bottom?  I was originally looking at the Prest Fit but DH said they won't work because they have to be removed when folding up the steps.  I'll do more research on that brand.  You don't by any chance remember what brand you have?

Yes they do have the grommets and springs. I believe we got them a CW in FL.

I'm glad she got over her fear of the steps. I remember this topic from a while ago. The dogs don't like the open steps. Close them off with a dish towel or anything on the back of the steps and the dogs climb without problem.

It took a few tries for Lexi to get used to the trailer steps too. It is kind of hard to lift a 70 pound dog up and down steps! We just kept at it, and she finally figured it out. She still has a tendency to jump over the first two steps instead of walking up them though. She has been up and down regular steps in the house since she was 3 months old (she's 12 1/2 now). She still occasionally has problems jumping up into the back seat of the truck, but that is so high I need to use the running board. Guess I can't fault her much for that.

UTTransplant said:
She still occasionally has problems jumping up into the back seat of the truck, but that is so high I need to use the running board. Guess I can't fault her much for that.

We haven't tried getting her into the back seat of our one ton RAM yet.  We'll have to work on that before we leave for Lanesboro.

Charlotte, our cocker spaniel could not go up or down stairs when we got her. She was 2.
A couple of days later, she figured out that the pieces of hot dog sausages that she found along the way where worth overcoming her fear.

Now she's a pro!

Our dog was afraid of wooden plank walkways! He used to crawl on all fours to get across them. With rewards and encouragement, he got over it.

One of our favorite hiking areas has a two-mile boardwalk, which he now does with wagging tail held high.

Millie was afraid of the step but couldn't stand having me out of her sight, once she overcame her fear and tried it there was no stopping her. Dogs are curious creatures.  Some trees were being felled behind the house to make way for a pool, landlord's doing. ::) I was talking to the crew on their break, turned around and here was Millie entertaining herself walking up and down the logs. She likely had never seen one before.

Back
Top Bottom