Toilet paper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rene T said:
If you only flush poo paper, what do you do with the tissue?
I would be interested on how fast tissue dissolves. Put a sheet of it in a cup of water and stir it every 1/2 hour or so and get back to us with the results please.
I'm confused on your entire comment but I sense sarcasm I think. We've not had a problem yet for three years. But I would like to know if you're trying to say it's not good then why? I'm all about getting educated but I don't do experiements.

[quote author=ArdraF] By the way, a community in England is having a major waste drainage problem caused by disposable diapers and wipes that clogged the waste into a 250-POUND clog that will take months to unclog.[/quote]

Ardra, when our kids were that young, we used only re-usable diapers (aka 'napkins' in the UK). Typically, they were very good quality Terry towels that we bought through the nearest colliery (aka coal mine). I didn't become aware of disposable diapers until my first visit to the US in the 70's.

Things were quite different when our 30-year old grandson and his family visited a few months ago. Huggies were the order of the day, but I couldn't help smiling and telling them about the good old days in the olde country.

Our kids used to throw anything and everything down the toilet, and the sewer cleaning guy was at our house regularly. One time he came into the house with a joint of beef in his hand, and my other half said "that's the joint that disappeared from the refrigerator".

Seilerbird, a while back, this same topic came up, and I chimed in that I disposed of the toilet paper the same way you do, and I was ridiculed and almost called a Neandertal (close spelling) because that was only done in third world countries by people who do not have flush toilets. Anyway, since my daughter uses a whole roll of toilet paper every time she goes, she would have clogged up the toilet in a second. This way, there are no piles built up inside and no stoppages. My rationale is that since you already have the toilet paper in your hand, why would it be so distasteful to roll it up and put it in the trash can, which we would almost empty immediately anyway while in a campground. I guess I am not the only one who practices this nasty and anti-social practice (little humor!!).

I'm all about getting educated but I don't do experiements.

Well, you see this is a huge topic of interest to RVers because they have so many problems with toilet paper.  When new they're told they need to use that awful thin RV toilet paper and they hate it.  Or, they don't use it and take whatever they have at home which may not dissolve very well.  When you have poorly disintegrating toilet paper and/or not enough water to help it dissolve you end up with the dreaded "poo pyramid" which has its own set of problems including odor and clogs.  For that reason we occasionally conduct our own experiments because toilet paper manufacturers change how they make their product and then a favorite brand may no longer work.  Our last toilet paper test was as the 2014 Quartzsite rally.  See the following link for the test results.  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,71131.msg648426.html#msg648426

ArdraF

[quote author=cgmartin]... I chimed in that I disposed of the toilet paper the same way you do, and I was ridiculed...[/quote]

It might have been friendly teasing  ???

my daughter uses a whole roll of toilet paper every time she goes

I thought I was the only one who did that  :-[  I've learned to flush several times during the 'cleanup' process, so the whole roll doesn't try to go down at the same time.

FWIW in the early days of the forum, this subject was the longest-running thread (we had threads in those days).

[quote author=SeilerBir]...my valves are broke and the black tank does not drain properly. The price tag to have my tanks dropped and the handles repaired is obscene...[/quote]

Just curious why the tanks need to be dropped. I've never owned a trailer or fifthwheel, so I'm not familiar with the geometry of tanks and drains. As you probably know, replacing dump valves in a Class A is a snip - unbolt and slide out the valve, then slide in the replacement and bolt up.

Tom said:
Just curious why the tanks need to be dropped. I've never owned a trailer or fifthwheel, so I'm not familiar with the geometry of tanks and drains. As you probably know, replacing dump valves in a Class A is a snip - unbolt and slide out the valve, then slide in the replacement and bolt up.
I have had two fifth wheel experts look at it and the bottom is sealed. Has a cover over the bottom. Both tanks are operated by cable and the only way to fix the cable is to drop the tanks and replace the valve which is a major deal because of the way they are installed. It will cost at least a thousand, probably more to get it fixed.

SeilerBird said:
I have had two fifth wheel experts look at it and the bottom is sealed. Has a cover over the bottom. Both tanks are operated by cable and the only way to fix the cable is to drop the tanks and replace the valve which is a major deal because of the way they are installed. It will cost at least a thousand, probably more to get it fixed.

Tom, you say the bottom is sealed. Is just a belly fabric?  Most times all you need to do is drop part of the belly to gain access to the valves. May have to do a little fishing to find the right area to drop.

Rene T said:
Tom, you say the bottom is sealed. Is just a belly fabric?  Most times all you need to do is drop part of the belly to gain access to the valves. May have to do a little fishing to find the right area to drop.
I don't know what the material is all I know is two people have told me that dropping the tanks are a really big deal. No access to the valves without dropping the tanks.

Tom, I'd like to donate a hundred dollars to the repair of your valves on the condition that you never talk about putting used TP in a bucket. This whole topic is like a bad car accident. I hate watching it but love to see where it goes!
Vito55, I hope your happy with yourself for bringing this up!! :)

SeilerBird said:
I don't know what the material is all I know is two people have told me that dropping the tanks are a really big deal. No access to the valves without dropping the tanks.

Sorry, that makes absolutely no sense.  Valve location has to be at the tanks lowest point.  Otherwise they dont work.  I changed the black tank valve on my fiver a couple years back.  Took me a couple of hours, and about 50 dollars in parts.  Yes my valves are cable operated too.  The real reason everyone wants to charge so much is its a black tank.  Who in their right mind wants to work on someone elses poo?

I can't see why they would have too drop the tanks either.
Tom, buy a basic set of hand tools and some cheap coveralls, then change them out yourself. It can be a bit messy if you don't clean your tanks first, but still relatively easy to do.

Tom said:
FWIW many sailboaters use the 'poop in the trash' method. I figured they had small holding tanks and sailed a long way (long time) between ports  ???

After travels to Mexico and other countries with less than stellar plumbing you find that many places have a small trash can and a no flush rule. We do the same in our MH. Never a problem and no odor.

We solved our occasional problem by differentiating between "just wet" and "other", if I may be so indelicate.  We place the "just wet" in a lidded, step on to open, trash can and flush the "other".  Works for us.  No odor.

Tom said:
I sure would if I was sitting next to an open can of poop  :(

It's not an open can. We do the same as Tom does. We use one of those small trash cans with foot pedal for the lid. But most of the time we use the facilities at the campground. My wife gets up to pee about 3700 times a night and that's about all that's in the black tank.

kdbgoat said:
I can't see why they would have too drop the tanks either.
Tom, buy a basic set of hand tools and some cheap coveralls, then change them out yourself. It can be a bit messy if you don't clean your tanks first, but still relatively easy to do.
It might be easy for you to do but not me. I am almost 70 years old with a bad back and emphysema. I have not gotten down on the ground to change my oil in two decades. I sure as heck will not get down on the ground to change out a set of bad valves. I already own a basic set of hand tools, you can't live in an RV and not own a basic set of hand tools. But I am restricted to really easy jobs done standing up. :-[

donn said:
Sorry, that makes absolutely no sense.  Valve location has to be at the tanks lowest point.  Otherwise they dont work.  I changed the black tank valve on my fiver a couple years back.  Took me a couple of hours, and about 50 dollars in parts.  Yes my valves are cable operated too.  The real reason everyone wants to charge so much is its a black tank.  Who in their right mind wants to work on someone elses poo?
The two people who gave me estimates were not estimating what they would charge. Neither one would do the work. They were estimating what they thought someone else would charge. Both have a lot of experience fixing RVs and neither one could even recommend a local that could do the job.

donn said:
This is SO GROSS!
Geeze, this has been discussed I thought to death.  Apparently not.  Buy any septic safe TP that you find you like the best.  There are several people who have done tests on different TP brands and they have their preferendes. 
Holding tank plugs tend to be lumped into one basic thought.  Lack of water.  These holding tanks need a lot of water to help break up poo and TP.
I don't believe anyone could read a thread labeled 'Toilet Paper' and manage to be offended by something they read in the thread. If you have that weak of a stomach then avoid threads with titles like this. It is positive we won't be discussing rainbows, unicorns and kittens in a thread like this. Meanwhile my post has nothing to do with tp not breaking up, it deals with a stuck valve.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom