EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: No power after gen shutdown  (Read 196 times)

runGMC

No power after gen shutdown
« on: September 22, 2017, 10:16:06 AM »
Hi guys... I've been boondocking for a few days... 1st 3 days, ran generator & all worked fine. 4th day, I shut down gen to check oil level & forgot to turn off a/c & tv & washer/dryer. Started gen & now have no power to any of them or wall outlets. Checked breakers, fuses, etc. 12v system seems unaffected. I'm baffled! Any ideas? :P
2004 Bounder36S
Workhorse W22 / 8.1L Chevy.

Paul & Ann

• ---
    • Paul and Ann's Great RV Adventure
Re: No power after gen shutdown
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 10:24:56 AM »
Do you have breakers on the generator and if so, have you checked them?
Paul & Ann  Iowa
2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J
http://stoughrvadventure.blogspot.com/

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 10:25:38 AM »
Hi guys... I've been boondocking for a few days... 1st 3 days, ran generator & all worked fine. 4th day, I shut down gen to check oil level & forgot to turn off a/c & tv & washer/dryer. Started gen & now have no power to any of them or wall outlets. Checked breakers, fuses, etc. 12v system seems unaffected. I'm baffled! Any ideas? :P

I'd guess your transfer switch is stuck in shore (default) mode. I just had this happen and had to replace the switch. If you are familiar with 120v and really need to use the genset you can temporarily swap genset and shore leads inside the transfer switch. You'll have to swap back to use shore power. Before you swap, check voltage on genset leads inside switch to be sure it's producing power and you don't have a different issue. If the genset breakers are tripped as Paul suggested the genset leads will be dead. And take a picture before you start moving wires, even better, label them.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 10:28:47 AM by Sun2Retire »
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

Memtb

• ---
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 11:47:53 AM »

I'd guess your transfer switch is stuck in shore (default) mode. I just had this happen and had to replace the switch. If you are familiar with 120v and really need to use the genset you can temporarily swap genset and shore leads inside the transfer switch. You'll have to swap back to use shore power. Before you swap, check voltage on genset leads inside switch to be sure it's producing power and you don't have a different issue. If the genset breakers are tripped as Paul suggested the genset leads will be dead. And take a picture before you start moving wires, even better, label them.

I'll go with the transfer switch as well!
Todd and Marianne
Miniature Schnauzers - Sundai, Nellie and Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500,  6.7 Ram 6 speed manual, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom
2007 Bigfoot Class C

Charlie 5320

• ---
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 04:39:39 PM »
If it is a generac, you may have blown the regulator. They don't like being shut down loaded.
2003 National Dolphin 5320
496  8.1  Workhorse

98 Damon Daybreak 3130
GM Vortech 454  4L80E
SOLD

Hosted by Over The Network