No power after gen shutdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runGMC

Hi guys... I've been boondocking for a few days... 1st 3 days, ran generator & all worked fine. 4th day, I shut down gen to check oil level & forgot to turn off a/c & tv & washer/dryer. Started gen & now have no power to any of them or wall outlets. Checked breakers, fuses, etc. 12v system seems unaffected. I'm baffled! Any ideas? :p

runGMC said:
Hi guys... I've been boondocking for a few days... 1st 3 days, ran generator & all worked fine. 4th day, I shut down gen to check oil level & forgot to turn off a/c & tv & washer/dryer. Started gen & now have no power to any of them or wall outlets. Checked breakers, fuses, etc. 12v system seems unaffected. I'm baffled! Any ideas? :p

I'd guess your transfer switch is stuck in shore (default) mode. I just had this happen and had to replace the switch. If you are familiar with 120v and really need to use the genset you can temporarily swap genset and shore leads inside the transfer switch. You'll have to swap back to use shore power. Before you swap, check voltage on genset leads inside switch to be sure it's producing power and you don't have a different issue. If the genset breakers are tripped as Paul suggested the genset leads will be dead. And take a picture before you start moving wires, even better, label them.

Sun2Retire said:
I'd guess your transfer switch is stuck in shore (default) mode. I just had this happen and had to replace the switch. If you are familiar with 120v and really need to use the genset you can temporarily swap genset and shore leads inside the transfer switch. You'll have to swap back to use shore power. Before you swap, check voltage on genset leads inside switch to be sure it's producing power and you don't have a different issue. If the genset breakers are tripped as Paul suggested the genset leads will be dead. And take a picture before you start moving wires, even better, label them.

I'll go with the transfer switch as well!

Back
Top Bottom