maintenance 2007 Winnebago Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iron Horse

We have a 2007 Winnebago Journey 36G. I asked my wife to post this for me as I have diesel fuel in my armpits and in my eyes. Well today I changed the oil and filter and air cleaner in our 8000 Onan generator. I have used up all my cuss words known to me. Any additional cuss words would be appreciated.....

Genny oil filter in my Onan 7500 isn't terribly easy ... air filter is in fact easy.  I am guessing you also changed the fuel filter ...now THAT would be a good way to get diesel to your armpits!

The Onan 7500/8000 fuel filter location and change procedure is one of the finer examples of engineering idiocy.  I've always been of the opinion that Onan engineers knew they were packaging the genset for RV use, so decided they should be consistent with common RV engineering practices and make maintenance as awkward as possible.

It took me awhile to realize that I didn't really have to change the Onan fuel filter very often, so the task could be postponed somewhat.

One of the reasons we bought our Horizon was because the genny was on a pull-out slide, that was a must-have feature. The ones fixed in position have to be dropped down for any serious repair (we've had two (2) inverters replaced, one of them was in warranty and one wasn't  ::) )

Our generator maintenance is really easy, we hand the nice man at Freightliner our credit card.

There are lots of car engines designed this way too. These "engineers" with be the 1st ones fed into my Soilient Green machine once I am king.. After they are forced to change hot oil in the engines they've designed with horizontal filter mounts. 

LOL Jeff! I seem to recall a Corvette that had a rear spark plug that was almost impossible to replace without removing a front tire  (that could have been my '91 convertible.)

I recall looking at one Class A with a fixed generator when we first started coach shopping and noticed the dash air service fittings were blocked by the generator housing.  ::) ::) ::)

I just watched a video on changing the filters on an 8K.  No way to do that without oil dripping down your elbows.  Mine slides out the front, but I'm not sure there is good access, I'll have to look.  Speedco offers to change the oil, maybe they do the filter too.

Mile High said:
Mine slides out the front, but I'm not sure there is good access,
My 7.5 slides out the front, but the drop down door to access the oil filter cannot be opened more than an inch or so due to a cross brace that supports the exhaust pipe. A torx bit removes the two screws that hold the door onto the hinges, then the door can be removed to get to the horizontally mounted filter. There is a bit of a drip guard that helps direct dripping oil out of the hole and into a pan, but it doesn't work as well as you would wish. The only thing having it slide out helps with is not having to slide so far under the front of the coach, and in giving a bit more room to add oil after the filter has been changed.

I just choke off the fuel lines on my 7.5 with vise grips(carefully) but do not understand why you need  Four Different size wrench 's to remove the filter

Back
Top Bottom