RE: Across US buying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidless

Hi,
Not sure if this is the place to post this...

I'm looking at a new camper, 2017 on the lot, problem is I'm in NY and the camper is in California.

Any advice?

My options are to fly there and rent a truck to tow home, but not much luck finding a tow vehicle to rent.

Have it shipped on a flat bed, about 2500/3000 bucks, but am afraid of damage and sight unseen purchase.

Your advice is welcomed

David

Have you spoken with a dealer for the brand closer to you that could order one? If it's a multi-location dealer, they're usually willing to transfer in stock units between locations at no extra cost with a sales commitment.

Welcome to the Forum!

What is the attraction to THIS camper?  Certainly there are other identical campers closer!

It is unlikely you will find a truck to rent one way to tow a camper, and it would be expensive.
You can drive out and inspect, then tow it home yourself (my choice).
There are many RV transport services who could tow it to your home for $1.50 or so per mile.  These are the same folks who tow new campers from the factory to the dealers.

If it's a new 2017, you should be able to get at least as good of a deal closer to home.

What make and model are you looking at?  Most RVs are made in and around Elkhart, IN, if that includes the one you're looking at it doesn't make sense that it would cost less to ship it from there to CA, then back to NY versus either picking one up close to the factory or having it delivered directly to NY.

I'm in the same situation as the OP, and just want to point out that not all TTs, or even comparable TTs, are available locally as some of the responses have assumed.  I'm in Indianapolis, I want to purchase a new Outdoors RV made in Oregon and the closest U.S. dealer is west of Denver.  From there they are available in Idaho, Oregon, California, Washington, etc.  Additionally, I want to add solar power/lithium which also requires a shop in Oregon or Calif. Etc.  Don't assume that useable used models are available in the East cause they just aren't either.  Heck, even the Western dealers have lists of people waiting for a used unit and they are gone within a day I'm told.

I don't know yet what logistics I'll end up with--but it will likely either be driving west for the purchase and towing home or flying/driving west for purchase and paying to have it transported back east.  Either way is complicated, poses problems and expenses, so I can relate to the OP asking for ideas from others, but the manufacturers in Indiana don't come anywhere close to being what an Outdoors RV looks to be for my purposes and for what I want -- I'm sure they are likely fine for other's needs and wants. 

Hi David,

Re: buying unseen, don't; get a RV inspector to inspect it first.
I'd try rvservicereviews.com and ask for recommendations.

Once the RV inspector gives it a clean bill, you could go pick it up. I've heard that both Enterprise and Penske rent trucks, but I'm not sure about towing capacity or whether they come with the 5th wheel hitch: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k5977688-Large_Pick_up_rental-Las_Vegas_Nevada.html

Good luck!

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Assuming that the camper can be bought from another dealer closer to NY, the dealer in CA would have to offer a heck of a discount to make the transport cost worthwhile. Or is this a model only sold in western states? Even so, you could probably get it at some location much closer than CA. St Louis or Chicago would probably save you a bundle on shipping.

As an Outdoors RV owner, I know other people from the eastern US who have to buy in Denver or points west from there. BTW, Kettelson's in Denver has a good reputation. I was figuring this might be the type of situation the OP has. If the OP wants an Indiana product, he probably can find one closer.

I'm guessing but I would try to find someone with an appropriate tow vehicle who wants to drive East and have their expenses covered in return for towing your TT...  I mean, if they are coming East anyway, why not?

Another downside to buying in CA are taxes.  CA sales tax is very high and you may need top to pay CA registration, which is also high.  CA is the last place I would look to buy something new.

johnaye said:
Another downside to buying in CA are taxes.  CA sales tax is very high and you may need top to pay CA registration, which is also high.  CA is the last place I would look to buy something new.

Great point:  you have to take delivery outside of Calif, like Reno

johnaye said:
Nope, you pay taxes at the state you are going to be registering it in.

SeilerBird said:
Nope, you pay taxes at the state you are going to be registering it in.

The dealer in California told us that if you buy it in Calif, you pay the Calif taxes and you might get a refund if you prove it was immediately registered in another state.  He provided a driver to move it to Reno where the notary in Reno attested to the delivery in Nevada.  Good Luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom