Generator oil change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garmp

Our B+ is new as of March this year and already I'm concerned about winterizing. We will probably shut down mid October and re-energize in March, living in the mid-west, most any type weather can hit.
My question is: our generator has only about 3 hrs on it. Should I change the oil before storage? We only have it for two reasons: one, in case of emergency and second, for resale value.
I have looked at the manual, but I'm no engineer and there's a ton I don't understand. You see I'm a camper with a RV!

thanks

While reading your manual, may I suggest that you read the section about running it every month. 3 hours is way too low for a 6 + month old generator. As far as changing the oil, you will get opinions stating change it now and opinions on change it next March, to opinions on changing it when it gets 20 hours on it, (the recommended first change for an Onan). Actually it will boil down to being your choice. The engine is actually no more sophisticated than a lawn mower engine.

Put a fuel stabilizer like Sta-bil  in your gas then run the generator to get it into the carburetor. This step will save you a world of grief come spring. I wouldn't worry about an oil change at this point but do exercise it as was suggested.

There isn't enough hours on the oil to matter.  Run the generator for at least 1/2 hour with a load like an electric heater, then drain the gas and run it dry. Put it to bed till next Spring.

The recommendation to run monthly is to keep fresh gas in it, removing all gas is even better.  A generator that depends on residual magnetism to excite needs to be run maybe once a year to restore that magnetism.

I know some older manuals stated run the genny for 1/2 hour each month, but on mine, 2015/2016 Onan 4k, the manual states 2 hours under at least half load. OP hasn't provided make and model of his/hers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom