back up camera not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danford50

my camera does not work when I am driving my coach, it only work of the generator or shore power, what do I need to look for in order to fix this issue.

Could be your 12v batteries.
Have you checked the DC voltage. I don't know if it's your chassis or house batteries that powers the camera/monitor. The alternator may also be the issue since the camera doesn't work when your driving.

Has it ever worked without generator or shore power? It's a 12 volt system and should be wired into a power source that is hot when the ignition is on. Sounds like it was wired into the coach 12 volt system and not the chassis system and if you have a problem with your coach batteries then the camera will not work without the 12 volt converter source from the genset or shore power, along with any other 12 volt items in your RV.  You need to do some wire tracing or try to find a wiring schematic of the camera system and work from there. I don't think you have a major problem. The normal power source for these is to tap into the reverse light circuit so that camera is on when you are backing up. I wired mine into an ignition source so that it is always on when the key is on so it acts like a rear view mirror as I drive. To me, a lot better use of the system then when just trying to back up.

We bought our first RV with rear view (and turn cameras)  last year (it's now a 2 yr old Thor Four winds C class) . For some reason The rear view & turn views only work on house power and not main engine power which is weird because it's part of the "cockpit radio" system. Like Spock would say "it's not logical", so we just leave the house battery on while driving.

Skydivemark. To me, at least, that is a strange way to wire what I would consider a safety item. If it were my coach, I'd rewire it to run off of the chassis electrical system. Should be relatively easy to do and it would eliminate an unnecessary, albeit small, drain on your coach batteries.

Being it's a 2017 coach, I would be having it back at the dealer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom