LP and CO2 detectors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flyingpiper59

Greetings Forum Chums!

Still working on the shake down of my Pace Arrow....Are combo units ok? Any advice or recommendations as to brand?
My unit currently has neither!

Many thanks!

Ed

I prefer separate units. The LP gas is heavier than air, and should be mounted low. CO is a bit lighter than air and kinda mixes with air. Co detectors should be mounted about 5' off the floor.

kdbgoat said:
The LP gas is heavier than air, and should be mounted low. CO is a bit lighter than air and kinda mixes with air. Co detectors should be mounted about 5' off the floor.

And I find that most manufacturers mount the LP detector near the floor below the gas stove.  My CO detector is mounted above my head in the bedroom. 

I know that they're popular, but I wouldn't consider a combination unit.

LP is heavier than room air, so the detector needs to be mounted close to the floor. The entry step well area seems to be pretty common, and probably makes sense.

CO has almost the same vapor density as room air, so the height of the detector isn't critical. Because CO mixes so well with room air, the detector must be located in an area with good air flow across the sensor. A CO detector mounted in that step well will be in a dead air space with little air flow, making it a poor choice.

Definitely separate and for the same reasons already mentioned.

ArdraF

The LP detector requires 12V, at least what I have seen.  The CO can be battery.  CO detectors used to only be good for 5 years, that may have changed.  Atwood still seems to be the common in RVs

The combination units are expensive, so it is really worth the price of getting the two separate devices.  My propane is also mounted near the floor next to the oven and the CO detector is mounted near the bedroom on the hall ceiling. Also, I learned the hard way that there is usually a date on the propane detector.  Mine went off, and I discovered there was a sticker that said to replace it every five years, or right about the time mine started screaming!  Went out next day and got a new one.  Very easy to replace myself, and I am not handy.  Just unscrew and unplug and then replace new one and screw back in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom