EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Slides (I'm looking to learn)  (Read 1107 times)

ArdraF

• ---
Re: Slides (I'm looking to learn)
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2017, 05:28:22 PM »
NCSU Dad, I have been arguing with RV manufacturers and dealers for more than a decade about their dark and depressing colors.  They are absolutely convinced that it looks more luxurious.  Many (most?) have never lived in one so they don't realize how the dark colors can affect mood and make one feel claustrophobic.  When we got our current 2004 Monaco back when you could semi-customize a motorhome, we had many changes including the colors.  I detested the black, gray, brown and beige colors that year (and since).  We wanted a light exterior to reflect the sun better and ended up using the 2004 swirls graphics with three blue paint shades from 2004.  The darkest color is down low, swirls have the middle blue and light blue is the preponderant color especially up high.  We were told we'd never be able to sell it because "people don't buy blue" which is ridiculous because our previous one also was blue and sold quickly.  We've received many compliments on it; even truck drivers give us a thumbs up when passing.

The interior also had to be mainly blue and we ended up using the year 2000 fabrics and colors.  The Monaco interior designer and I had great fun putting it all together with some touches of beige.  We're still delighted with it.  Maybe some day the RV manufacturers will stop believing that everyone wants what they believe are luxurious colors and interiors.  Like you we turn around and leave when it's too dark inside.  We had brown and beige in the previous motorhomes and had our fill of those colors!  Keep looking at as many RVs as you can and complain to dealers about the colors because they're the ones who do the ordering from the manufacturers.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2017, 10:19:40 PM »
Slides make your home on wheels seem a lot larger than it really is.  Ditto for light colors, but the current style right now is dark woods and lots of browns and beiges.  About 30 years ago, the style was tons of mirrors and shiny cabinets--just about as bad as the dark woods.  You can probably recover cushions, so at least look for the lightest woods they make.  And beware of that incredibly cheap beige carpet manufacturers think you will love, but which mats up and looks horrible after a very short time!!
Full-timing for over five years in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N

majicchuck

• ---
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 08:33:59 AM »
We are new to RV's and looking to buy our first RV. We attended the August 2017 RV show in Raleigh. I had made up my mind I did not want a slide based on research I did which mentioned:
-cutting the slide opening in a wall compromised the structural integrity of the wall
-slides are prone to leaks which if gone undetected or ignored will cause major decay problems
-mechanical failure
-you could be limited in campground parking due to the clearances required when the slides are out
So I did not take the opportunity to look and ask questions at the show.

Okay I'm the last to know most RV's manufactured today have slides.

Many of the posts I have read on this forum mentioned electric, cable, and hydraulic slide operators (this might be old technology). Seems to me the slides I saw at the RV show had what looked like some sort of rack and pinion track exposed.

Also the posts warn of difficulty in resale of an RV's which doesn't have them. The example mention most often was how people worried about power window failure years ago in cars and how not having PW in your car or truck today would be unheard of.

After all this typing please educate me on slides.

Thanks!

Well I'm still relatively new to the rving world(been at it for seven months). Our first rig was a 93 Bounder (gas). This had no slides and I was totally fine with that. Plus slide technology was quite new during that period. We loved the floor plan of the Bounder and never felt we were missing out by not having slides. However, we decided to upgrade and recently purchased a 2005 Bounder diesel pusher that has three slides. Oh boy do the slides open up the living space! I don't see slides being an issue at a campground. As Gary mentioned there is usually a good amount of space at campground sites.

Also, I had no issue selling my old Bounder. It was well maintained and I had a good amount of work put into it after I purchased (tires, shocks, struts, safety t plus, airbags, and a number of other things). While I did not get all the money back that put into the coach, I was able to trade in and get much more than I paid for seven months ago. Just my two cents! There are others who much more experience.

Good luck in your search.
Chuck
----------
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N (Carolina)

1PlasticMan1

• ---
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 08:40:59 AM »
I have had ongoing problems with my dinette/lounge slide, paying almost $500.00 in the past week to get it retracted twice.  Don't know if it is out of square, or electrical, because the fix moves around.  That being said, I would not purchase an RV without slides.  I would think twice about a full wall slide.  I also think rack and pinion are the best. 
2016 Bounder 33C
2008 T&C - Ltd.
2010 LR2
and Frisco

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 11:29:38 AM »
I would think twice about a full wall slide.  I also think rack and pinion are the best.
Our full wall slide is 28 feet long, and it has two entertainment centers, a pantry, a large residential refrigerator and a bunch of cabinets in it. It's heavy! When it's extended, it's a flat floor design, so it has to articulate every time it goes in or out, and every time I extend or retract it, I hold my breath.

The only time it's ever given me any trouble is when I tried to extend it on battery power alone. That's a big no no, and the manual specifically says NOT to do that. It says the engine must be idling to operate the slides. The reset procedure is pretty simple though.

I've also discovered that the air intake grid heater can give my two bigger slides fits, because it draws a lot of amps for about a minute and a half when the engine is first started. Once it's done cycling, the slides work great (Knock on wood.)

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

Hosted by Over The Network