EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Travel trailer tires  (Read 216 times)

bobbyg2013

• ---
Travel trailer tires
« on: October 13, 2017, 07:15:37 PM »
I have a 26' travel trailer, dry weight around 5K and its time for four new tires.  Seems every brand that is favored by one person, is vilified by another.  I guess we can't agree on any one brand but I am sure there are a couple brands out there that stand above the rest.  Would appreciate knowing what you think.  Thanks.

RedandSilver

• ---
Re: Travel trailer tires
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 07:35:25 PM »
Dry Weight is useless.

Is there a reason you don't want to use the same tires that were on it?
I would assume they were rated for the GVWR of the trailer - or at least should have been.

So IMO if you go with 4 new tires and they can handle the GVWR or more you should be fine.

Is one brand better than another?  Maybe ask the tire dealer what they sell the most of in your size.
2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp

lynnmor

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 07:13:10 AM »
I guess we can't agree on any one brand but I am sure there are a couple brands out there that stand above the rest.  Would appreciate knowing what you think. 

What I think, and actually do, is buy tires made in the USA and let others argue about the the cheap imported stuff.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 08:28:22 AM »
Many trailer owners praise the Maxxis brand ST (trailer) tires. Good quality and usually rated for more than the usual 65 mph limit for ST tires.

The key thing, though, is to get a tire rated for the max axle load. Preferably somewhat more that that, so that the tire is not always working at its upper limit of capability.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

bailer6334

• ---
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 08:45:43 AM »
Consider the new Goodyear Endurance line. They are the only ST tire now made in the USA.  As they are new not much history yet, however they are D & E load rated. I just replaced my Westlake tires (China made) with these US made.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
2016 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4WD
Equalizer Anti Sway Hitch

longhaul

• ---
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 09:12:43 PM »
I have a 26' travel trailer, dry weight around 5K and its time for four new tires.  Seems every brand that is favored by one person, is vilified by another.  I guess we can't agree on any one brand but I am sure there are a couple brands out there that stand above the rest.  Would appreciate knowing what you think.  Thanks.
  Everyone has a different amount of experience with trailers in general..... especially tires. Some folks may not put but 5k-8k a year for  a few years and others may put 25k-30k miles a year for 20-30 years. So yeah everyone has a opinion.

The only ST tire brand I'm aware of that hasn't had across the board reliability issues is a Provider ST tire. The tire carries the nylon belt under the tread cap and is 81 mpg speed rated.
 They have been around mostly in the commercial side since the '11 or so era.....very popular with those folks with 14"/15"/16"/17.5" in  load C/D/E/G/H and J.

As mentioned the new Goodyear Endurance is making a big hit with rv folks as well as Carlisle new HD series ST tire.

Maxxis ST8008 are a bit dated and still 65 mph rated. Not all sizes has the nylon belt under the tread which may account for some rv folks reporting issues with them. Do your homework there.

Hosted by Over The Network