Is a weight distributing hitch necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

epfc23

We just got a new Chevy 2500. It is replacing a Chevy 1500 that we used to pull a trailer with a GVW of 7800 lbs. With the new truck connected on the hitch, the trailer and truck sit level. I will use the sway bar but is there any benefit to using the weight distribution bars?

You'll want to check the manual for the"weight carrying capacity" of the hitch/truck. My 2002 Chevy 2500 had a limit of 750 and If I remember correctly, my 2010 GMC has a 1,000 lb limit. If the WC capacity of your truck is under over about 10% to 12% of your trailer's GVWR I'd say give it a try. With my 2002 truck I pulled our 7,000 lb trailer a couple of times locally without the WD hitch and the truck still pulled it fine but I found it bounced more than I liked. Same story with the 2010 and an 8,500 lb trailer.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you do and once you have it you will notice the difference. I used to have 2500 Silverado 2014.  It would be so much better the experience. 

Despite the above comments, the purpose of a weight distributing hitch is to put weight back on the front axle of a tow vehicle. Get some scale weights and decide if you need to put weight back on the front axle. I pulled a heavier trailer than that with my F-250, and didn't need a weight distributing hitch to tow comfortably. I did use a Reese Dual Cam hitch with that truck and trailer, but it was mostly for arresting any sway, more than anything else.

kdbgoat said:
Despite the above comments, the purpose of a weight distributing hitch is to put weight back on the front axle of a tow vehicle. Get some scale weights and decide if you need to put weight back on the front axle. I pulled a heavier trailer than that with my F-250, and didn't need a weight distributing hitch to tow comfortably. I did use a Reese Dual Cam hitch with that truck and trailer, but it was mostly for arresting any sway, more than anything else.

agreed

I had bought a Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH for my F250 diesel when I bought my Impact 303 T.H.  GVWR of 13K on the trailer and actual (CAT scale numbers) showed 12,400 lb on the trailer with 1360 lb of tongue weight when loaded.  I've since switched to a 2016 F350 Dually and still use the Blue Ox.  Is it absolutely needed....most likely not, but since the B.O. has built in sway control, I use it all the time and it makes towing the trailer very comfortable.

I like it for piece of mind.  My Equalizer WD and four points of sway control built, which is the primary reason i use it.  Trailer doesn't squat the truck at all but it is a 26foot sail for the wind to catch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom