Do I need a remote braking system to flat tow a Honda CRV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

owensg123

I have a Winnebago Sightseer 29R and want to flat-tow a 2007 Honda CRV.  I am trying to determine some costs for all the needed parts, but I have seen conflicting info whether a remote braking system is needed.  Is this determined by weight? By state? A combination of both?  Any insights would be appreciated.  Thanks

Look online at your state and connecting state laws. I wouldn't go without brakes myself. Panic stopping a heavy motorhome is serious business. You want all the braking help you can get. Dolly towing is the least expensive way to tow a vehicle with you. But, then you have another thing to find parking for.

Some states do not subject a towed vehicle to the same laws as trailers, but if it were a trailer, at 3300+ lbs it would definitely require brakes in nearly every state and Canadian province.

More important, though, are the laws of physics. Increasing the combined weight  of your rig by 3300 or so lbs without increasing the braking capacity means the minimum stopping distance gets proportionally longer. A loaded 29R weighs in around 18,000 lbs, so adding another 3300 means about an 18% increase.  Perhaps not important in routine driving, but when the times comes to slam on the brakes, you are gonna regret every foot of that extra distance.

Absolutely agree with Gary.  Here is a tow bar/braking system combined in one unit. I have used one for about 10 years, as have many on the forum.  http://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/ReadyBrute%E2%84%A2_Elite_RV_Tow_Bar.html

You will still need to source and buy a base plate to attach to your vehicle to hook the tow bar to. 

X2 on what Gary and Marty both posted. Our ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system has served us well for 9 years so far, with two different toads. We use our ReadyBrute with a Blue Ox base plate, but the company can supply the proper arm ends for any of the popular brands.

Short answer is YES. The state laws only matter if you NEVER are involved in an accident. You rear end someone and common law comes into play and the term the plaintiff's lawyer may well use is "Reckless Endangerment" (or words to that effect) and then he mentions a number with a whole lot of zeros.
US-Gear claims their system can make up to 30% difference in stopping distance.

But even if it's only 10%.. Well at 60 MPH with all wheels locked  ALL, including the towed car, you will skid about 198 Feet.. if the towed not braking pushies you just another 20 feet.. Well that can make the difference between crash and no crash..

Put the brakes on.

If you have to jam on the brakes and the toad jackknifes, you will wish you had spent the extra dollars on an auxiliary braking system.  There should be no question about having one.  Don't leave home without it!

ArdraF

Off hand, I don't know of any production highway vehicles that don't have "a brake per wheel". One thing to keep in mind is that none of these auxiliary add-ons are actually "braking systems". What they are is a "braking activation system" that applies the existing brake system. Basically, they're a remotely operated substitute for your foot on the pedal.

Fantastic info gang!  I really appreciate all the input.  I will definitely get a braking system for the CRV. I will look into the ReadyBrute Elite RV Towbar....sounds like just what I need.

Thanks much to all!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom