BEST Towable Car for us?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ak-wannabee

We will be driving about a 30 ft Class C motorhome,
Ford E450, Triton 6.8 Liter V10, 5-speed auto ...
I do not have the tow capacity information yet.

We are hoping to find a compact, lightweight AWD
vehicle with good fuel economy.  Hopefully whatever
this "ideal" car is it will drive city and country roads
with equal vigor.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

God bless,
ak-wannabee
;D

Wait until you get the weight numbers for the motorhome so you know exactly how much you can tow.  That will limit your choices.  Also, be sure to check with Remco for any AWD vehicle you may be interested in as to towability.  Many AWD vehicles are not towable.

You need to get the numbers, but it will not be more than 5000 lbs and possibly as little as 3000. 4000 is typical in that size & type of rig and that limits your choices severely.  I'd suggest a Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD automatic is a nice combination of low weight, size and comfort. A Honda CR-V AWD is another good choice. A Jeep Wrangler would also fit the weight requirement, but may or may not be right for you. None of these vehicles require any modifications to tow 4-down.  Towing. A Chevy Malibu Maxx sedan is a popular toad that requires no mods and weighs under 4000 lbs, I think. There will also be some small sedans that fit the weight limit and are towable or can be adapted for towing using one of the products from Remco

Most mid size SUVs (e.g. Trailblazer, Explorer, etc) will be too heavy for you.

When you find your motorhome be sure to confirm what the hitch rating is.  Like Gary mentioned some rigs come with hitches rated at 3000 or lower lbs and as high as 10,000 lbs.  This is a need to know item and I would confirm with the manufacturer since most dealers will tell you what they think you need to know to close a sale.

Thanks all for the advice.

Especially RV Roamer - that is what I was looking for
is a basic "starting point." 

I saw the tow rating once, but do not remember
what it was.  When we were considering our options,
it was not that important.  Now, we are looking at
things a little differently, and I can't find the info in
my factory / dealer documentation.   ???

Edit:  5000 lb trailer hitch

We were hoping we could tow something like the
Jeep Wrangler - that seems our style.

Thanks,
ak-wannabee
;D

The 2007 wrangler weighs in at around 4000 LBS.  Some of the older ones may be lighter but just to give you an idea.  The Wrangler makes an excellent toad.  We tow a Grand Cherokee.  Just keep in mind what you want to tow while shopping.

You need the Gross Combined Weight rating (GCWR), which should be on the rating sticker along with the GVW, CCC, etc. GCWR is the max total weight of the loaded coach and toad.  Those numbers will be on a sticker somewhere inside the rig, usually in a cabinet.Then get the coach weighed (loaded for the road, with all people onboard or added in afterwards). Subtract the actual coach weight from the GCWR and that's what you can tow (less a safety margin), subject to the limits of the receiver and hitch itself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom