Full Wall Slides, and the first time I ever saw them.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
T

TonyDtorch

I'm not sure when Full Wall Slides first showed in Motor homes, the mid 2000's or so... but I do remember the first time I ever saw them.

It was in 1971...  I was assigned to the 163rd M.I. bn.(C) and I working in a U.S. Army TIIF  (Tactical Imagery Interpretation Facility).   

It was this huge 10 ton 6 wheel drive camouflaged truck with a huge office box on it that had two full expanding wall slides and no windows, it had levelers and everything else, Water, air conditioning, Sat Com, blackout lighting etc. ...and they even told us it had bullet resistant walls !  :p

The inside of that office was about 20' x 20' (400 sq.ft) filled with all the photo equipment and 6 men.

Tony...TIIF....haven't heard that acronym since the mid seventies. During my enlisted career with the USAF, I remember when "they" brought one of those in and set it up at Langley AFB. I was fortunate not to be selected to "work" in it as they played with it. From what I remember, it was a series of "trailers" that were interconnected and designed to be air transportable. It was noisy, windowless, cold due to excessive A/C., and claustrophobic. I don't know if the system ever really became operational but after I was commissioned and changed career fields, I forgot about it until you just mentioned it.

I'm so shocked anyone else in the world ever heard of a TIIF. !

We were always at an airfield somewhere,  We were a tactical Intel unit on permanent alert status so within 24 hours were supposed to be operational somewhere else in the world,  and just for fun they only landed the "BlackBird" at night,  so we always had to sleep during the day, under lock down,  at an active airfield to the noise of massive whirling airconditioners and inconsiderate jet pilots.

Yes, there were 2 other mobile offices in our deal, one was a photo developing lap, and the other was for debriefing and stuff.

During operation Linebacker 2 were often used as a dog and pony show for Congressman so they could come and actually see for themselves how (bad) the war was going.

All 3 trucks were put on a C5 and flown out,  they all had 2 full wall slides and interconnecting porches.

I would have never guessed 50 years later I'd be living in the civilian version of a TIIF.....  ;) 

Since the topic is Full Wall Slides, I thought I might show a different version of Full Wall Slides.

These are 37 feet long and 7 feet deep on a 53 foot Mobile Hospital Unit.

Each Unit when open is about 1,000 square feet of space.

I have been designing and building these units for over 20 years.

Attachments

• rIMG_0105.jpg
    rIMG_0105.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 50
  • rIMG_0110.jpg
    rIMG_0110.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 44
  • rIMG_0092.jpg
    rIMG_0092.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 39
  • rIMG_0123.jpg
    rIMG_0123.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 36
  • rIMG_0156.jpg
    rIMG_0156.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 34
  • rIMG_0145.jpg
    rIMG_0145.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 33
http://www.rvt.com/Coachmen-Aurora-36FWS-2008-Creswell-OR-ID7572185-UX95325

I have one of these and we love the floor plan and the room afforded by the full wall slide 36 FWS

Bill:
Wow,  Nice Work.  Even the wooden handicap ramp is an amazing engineering accomplishment. 

Those trailers remind me if the inside of a TIIF.  And I think those are similar A/C units too.

Bobtop46 said:
http://www.rvt.com/Coachmen-Aurora-36FWS-2008-Creswell-OR-ID7572185-UX95325

I have one of these and we love the floor plan and the room afforded by the full wall slide 36 FWS
That has one of the best kitchens I've ever seen, a full oven, a corner sink and lots of counter space....nice.

The corner bed is cool too.

http://www.oshkoshequipment.com/products/detail/1/4287/M820-Expansible-Van-Military-5-Ton-Truck-C-200-48

Not quite 20x20 as in the OP but has dual full wall slides..

I think that truck is it..      I don't remember and side doors or windows,  but that's got to be it.

Now I want one... :))

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom