2016 Ford Tritan V10- downshifts by itself?? Sounds like it is screaming downhil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TandScantwait

Hi guys! We are on our first road trip with our 2016 Thor Miramar 35.2 (class A) that has some bigger hills. While driving down hill the engines seems to downshift by itself. And the RPMs go to over 5000, sometimes it seemed to upshift when appropriate by itself. And other it times it wouldn't and we had to shift into neutral to get the low gear to release. Is this some sort of feature of the newer models to help people not burn out their brakes? We are towing a Jeep Wrangler, but did not have it in tow/haul mode, when we did put it in tow/haul mode it didn't change. Tapping the brake, holding the brakes or accelerating had no effect when the downshift was  happening. Any experience is appreciated.

Ford calls it automatic engine braking, and heavy duty GM transmissions also have a feature like that. Basically downshifts automatically on steeper grades, just as you should be doing manually if not equipped that way.  As long as the rpms stay below the "red line" max, no need to worry. It sounds as though your tranny upshifted when necessary to do that.

I think you have a Ford V10 in that coach. If so, 5000 rpms is not unreasonable. The 2-valve V10 actually doesn't reach peak hp until around 5500, and other variants of that engine have their peaks around 4700 or so. It is designed to be able to handle those rpm - higher rpms is one of the differences between a V10 and a V8 of similar size.

Have you looked at the Ford chassis manual that should have come with the coach? It surely would explain the engine braking feature.

I was not aware of the built in transmission features..We have just returned from the mountains of Colorado and I found it is a very useful feature to have.... The first time it happened to me I freaked out...I fiddled with the Tow mode then I thought the cruise control was  taking over on the downhill...anyway...once I got used to it I found I only needed to touch the brakes just a tad to help the transmission control the steep downhills..We don't particularly like the racket inside the cab when the motor is revving it's heart out , especially when climbing the uphills...and for that reason alone, I would not be choosing this set up on my next rig.  Thanks for the information...

It's a design safety feature! That engine is designed for high rpms. Unless we're talking extreme high rpm, you're fine!

I am wondering if they have made improvements since 2011 trannys were built. My rig may do the same thing but only if I am using tow/haul feature...Also I thought all v-10 engines were 3 valve since 2006 or so...Anybody heard about that?

The V-10 in vans and motorhomes usually has a 5R110 (I think that's the model) behind it. In 2016, Ford started using the 6R140 behind it. A much better transmission in my opinion. Ford had been using the 6R140 tranny in the super duty pick-up line since 2011. It's a shame it took them so long to put it behind the V-10.

BIG JOE said:
Use your gears ?

Try shifting out of Tow Haul* and into M (manual)(if equipped), or lower gears available depending on transmission, and selecting the gear(s) that suit You (and the traffic) for RPM and Speed... with Light Braking.. as needed... for the % grade you are descending. 

Same applies for RPM and Speed... for Climbing hills.

Once you have done this a couple times.. it will become " Second Nature". You are Operating your Equipment.. Not just Driving your RV ? (or letting It.. drive You ?)  ;)

*Gas or Diesel.. WE need to be in-charge of the proper Gear, and engine RPM's. The manufactures have put a lot of R&D into these things.. to make driving them.. as easy as possible.. BUT (just My opinion) at or near Red Line RPMs, controlled by a computer... While going up or down  Loong hills..  Sooner or Later... something is going to go South. Drivetrain Wize... over Time & Miles

The Only time use Tow/Haul is on Interstates and Major Highways. But.. when I see the signs that say: Truck Lane, or.. X % down Grade for X Miles, Trucks Use Lower Gears... I shift Out of Tow/Haul, and Manually Operate our RV Up or Down the grades, with Traffic and Road Conditions in mind.

I'm sure we all do this, in some form or another.. but for those that may be New to all of this.. the above may something to think about ??? :)

Revised ?

My F-250 had it behind a 6.2 gasser. I used manual even when towing on flat ground. It was close to being a 6 speed manual without a clutch. When running in auto, it seemed to hold gears longer than what I liked. That said, the transmission was probably smarter than me though.

kdbgoat said:
My F-250 had it behind a 6.2 gasser. I used manual even when towing on flat ground. It was close to being a 6 speed manual without a clutch. When running in auto, it seemed to hold gears longer than what I liked. That said, the transmission was probably smarter than me though.

Didn't go there... but I do a lot of the same with my 6.7.  ;) :)

I only use D, in Tow/Haul, on CC out on I-5 & 99 here in CenCal. Stated before but.. this is my First Auto Trans in the 5 DRW's I've owned. I still miss the gear shifting.. but this 6 speed auto, in Manual, IS.. nearly the same.. without the clutch.

john owens said:
I am wondering if they have made improvements since 2011 trannys were built. My rig may do the same thing but only if I am using tow/haul feature...Also I thought all v-10 engines were 3 valve since 2006 or so...Anybody heard about that?
All the Van based E-350 & E-450 chassis have the 2 valve V-10 engine

The F53 chassis have the 3 valve V-10 engine.

I believe the 2016 chassis have the 6 speed transmission.  Keep in mind there are quite a few 2016 model motorhomes build on 2015 model year chassis so those will not have the 6 speed. 

What Al said above is correct. Unfortunately, my 2016 is built on a 2015 chassis.

AStravelers said:
All the Van based E-350 & E-450 chassis have the 2 valve V-10 engine

The F53 chassis have the 3 valve V-10 engine.

I believe the 2016 chassis have the 6 speed transmission.  Keep in mind there are quite a few 2016 model motorhomes build on 2015 model year chassis so those will not have the 6 speed.

Probably shoulda stayed in the F series box.. but Manually shifting is still an option ?

BIG JOE said:
Probably shoulda stayed in the F series box.. but Manually shifting is still an option ?
With the 5 speed, you cannot manually select 4th gear.  Only the computer will shift into 4th.  I really hate that about the Ford 5 speed.  There are lots of times going up or down long grades I want to select 4th and just keep it there.  Letting the computer select 4th, it sometimes will shift up to 5th and down to 4th, unless I press harder on the accelerator than I really want to. 

AStravelers said:
With the 5 speed, you cannot manually select 4th gear.  Only the computer will shift into 4th.

Does the 5 speed have Tow/Haul ? If so.. try shifting Out of tow/haul and selecting 4th ??

I always thought that when I am in tow/haul mode...my tranny is in 4th gear...Unless I am pulling the toad I like OD gear even going up slight grades. The tranny does not bang around downshifting which is annoying..I just watch my rpm's and 5going up hill try to stay at or above 2000 on the tach. Interesting thing about these setups is there is no REDLINE. I guess high RPM's won't hurt anything.

BIG JOE said:

Due to the All the Transmissions available, based on Year, Make, Model. Series. and/or job #.. I'm going to back out of this thread.

The One thing I Will say is: Depending on which transmission [You] have.. you might try... (if equipped) IN tow/Haul.. Out of Tow/Haul shifting gears, to see what works for [you]. If your trans doesn't have Tow/Haul.. try Manually selecting the gears, for the given... Up & Down hill tasks.

There's more to it.. than putting it in "D".. and going. If you are so inclined ?  ;) :)

First the gear selector with the Ford 5 speed has D, 3, 2, 1.  Note there is no "4".

No the tow haul does NOT take you out of 5th into 4th.  The tow haul changes the shift points to a little higher RPM's.  It also will force a down shift when going down hill to take advantage of engine braking.  It also locks up the torque converter under some conditions that the normal shifting doesn't.

There are not a lot of makes and models for Ford chassis for RV's.  There is the E-350, E-450 and F53.  (Yes there are a few RV's built on the F-450 and F-550, and I have seen reference to a F59, but they are not part of this discussion)  I don't believe Ford has made changes in the gear shift selection in the 5 speed on the chassis models since they introduced the 5 speed and added the tow/haul mode. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom