2016 Ford Tritan V10- downshifts by itself?? Sounds like it is screaming downhil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's just saving your brakes from wear! :)  My F-150 does the same when I'm in Tow/Haul mode, but I find it does it more aggressively if I have the cruise control set because it will try to bring my speed down to the set speed using engine braking and keep shifting down.  Without cruise control on it still downshift, but I pick up more speed and eventually use the brakes because it doesn't downshift as low.

AStravelers said:
First the gear selector with the Ford 5 speed has D, 3, 2, 1.  Note there is no "4".

No the tow haul does NOT take you out of 5th into 4th.  The tow haul changes the shift points to a little higher RPM's.  It also will force a down shift when going down hill to take advantage of engine braking.  It also locks up the torque converter under some conditions that the normal shifting doesn't.

There are not a lot of makes and models for Ford chassis for RV's.  There is the E-350, E-450 and F53.  (Yes there are a few RV's built on the F-450 and F-550, and I have seen reference to a F59, but they are not part of this discussion)  I don't believe Ford has made changes in the gear shift selection in the 5 speed on the chassis models since they introduced the 5 speed and added the tow/haul mode.

Well I got the quote in but couldn't answer...SO..I have always thought my Ford gear shifter ..yes has the D for drive...with an O embossed over that. That tells me with a 5 sped tranny the D is 5th gear or overdrive. Push tow/haul you are locked into D which is 4th gear...Right??  Small chance I am wrong...lol

john owens said:
Well I got the quote in but couldn't answer...SO..I have always thought my Ford gear shifter ..yes has the D for drive...with an O embossed over that. That tells me with a 5 sped tranny the D is 5th gear or overdrive. Push tow/haul you are locked into D which is 4th gear...Right??  Small chance I am wrong...lol
Nope.  At least in the Ford F53, E350 & 450 since 2004-2005 with the 5 speed.  T/H does not force out of overdrive (5th gear) into 4th.

If the OP has a tow/haul button the constant downshifting down a hill is what it is supposed to do, if he has the button engaged that is. On my 2007 it doesn't do anything as far as switching out of overdrive it just seems to slightly change the shift points as I drive along. It is on the downhills that it makes the biggest difference.

I have a 2016 class C with a 6 speed. What factors cause it to automatically downshift on grades? Is the cruise control engaged?

This was my experience this summer as well! Screaaming!!! Thought I was goinf to blow her up lol

mcangelo4 said:
This was my experience this summer as well! Screaaming!!! Thought I was goinf to blow her up lol

Nah, it's just noisy because the engine is sucking air.  As long as your RPM's aren't in the red, you're fine.  The engine isn't PUSHING at this high RPM, it's just spinning away.  If the RPM gets too high, it SHOULD shift up a gear on its own.

With the 6 speed. Cruise Control OFF. Tow Haul OFF*. Manually downshift to 5th.. let it "Drift" down the hill using Light Braking to control the speed you feel comfortable with.. depending on Traffic. 4th if needed.

(* with Tow Haul ON.. applying the brakes.. will command a Downshift)

When Climbing a hill.. manually downshift to whatever gear keeps the RPM's between 2 & 3000 RPM's.

Try this.. Betcha yul Like It ?  ;) :)

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom