NFL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I stand, remove my hat, put my hand over my heart and recite the pledge of allegiance, as well as when the national anthem plays.  No one forces me to do this, it's my choice.  No one forced me to enlist in the Marine Corps repeatedly for my 11yrs of service.  I respect this great country of ours and those that didn't come home from their service.  Please don't let this thread disintegrate into disrespectful garbage.  Talk about how to enjoy your RV or something.

Next it will be Basketball and maybe both guys in hockey. It needs to stop or don't televise the anthem and bring attention to it.
Actually there are over 30 black players in the NHL.
Forced patriotism is tyranny. 
It's not forced patriotism. It's the rest of America exercising their first amendment rights to show their disgust over what they perceive as a lack of respect for the flag and what it represents. Everyone gets to use their freedom of speech, not just one side.

Dragginourbedaround said:
Actually there are over 30 black players in the NHL.
It's not forced patriotism. It's the rest of America exercising their first amendment rights to show their disgust over what they perceive as a lack of respect for the flag and what it represents. Everyone gets to use their freedom of speech, not just one side.

My reference to forced patriotism is in reference to those who believe that everyone should be forced to stand for the national anthem.

This protest was going nowhere, the individual who started taking a knee was a free agent with no takers, and only a very few followers not standing.  For what ever his reasons, your President chose to whip the flames in Alabama where there is not even an NFL team, and worse, he chose to disparage players mothers.
    So, from an outsider looking in, I'd say this isn't about dishonouring your Country or Flag.  It is an attempt to divert attention about things not going as well as he might like.
    Don't get all bent out of shape over this, there will be something else come along tomorrow.  As for the NHL, Americans make up less than 5% of active players, the majority of the non whites are from Canada, and almost no professional hockey players come from the "hood" as do a good number of football or basketball players.  So, it is totally a different group of socioeconomic factors.

Ed

BOYCOT ALL THESE ELISTIST IDIOTS.  A boycot shutting down the nfl and the nba would let them know what qe think of their protest.

Are we finished with this topic yet?  Has it backslid into personal beliefs enough yet?  Has it created enough discord yet?  Does it have anything at all to do with RVing yet.  Even the Shade Tree has its limits.

Tom and Margi said:
Are we finished with this topic yet?  Has it backslid into personal beliefs enough yet?  Has it created enough discord yet?  Does it have anything at all to do with RVing yet.  Even the Shade Tree has its limits.

Agreed.

.  As for the NHL, Americans make up less than 5% of active players
Ed
Really only 5%?  So your saying there is only about 45 Americans playing in the NHL? I don't even have to look this up to know your numbers are way off.

Here is what google found, it shows a total of 50:  http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/nationality/active-american-nhl-players-career-stats.html

Ed

donn said:
BOYCOT ALL THESE ELISTIST IDIOTS.  A boycot shutting down the nfl and the nba would let them know what qe think of their protest.
:)) :)) :)) NFL or any of the players will ever get one red cent from me ever again. They are not protesting the President, they are showing disrespect for this Country and its flag.

Hfx_Cdn said:
  Here is what google found, it shows a total of 50:  http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/nationality/active-american-nhl-players-career-stats.html

Ed
Thanks for that. If you read further than page ONE all the way to the end of page SIX you would see there are 267 players!

Let the sun shine on the Shade Tree and illuminate, once again, the gigantic political divide in the USA.  Like the 60's it looks like it's headed for BITS (Blood In The Streets), again.  I hoped we'd all learn something from Ken Burns' series on Vietnam but I guess not.

I hope the sun shines on the Shade Tree to illuminate our shared interest in RVing and its related adventures.  There are plenty of places on the internet to spew vitriol in whatever direction and for whatever cause one might want to advance.  Political and religious viewpoints belong on venues created for that reason.  They only result in discord here.  If we are to remain the friendliest of RV Forums, we need to rein this stuff in a bit.

I thank my God that people fought and died so that I can sit,stand or pick my nose during the NA.  I may not agree with your opinion but I'm willing to support your right to speak it or peacefully demonstrate it.  It is up to the employer how to handle employees while on the clock or wearing the uniform.  What people do on their own time should not be the employers business.

Hfx_Cdn said:
    This protest was going nowhere, the individual who started taking a knee was a free agent with no takers, and only a very few followers not standing.  For what ever his reasons, your President chose to whip the flames in Alabama where there is not even an NFL team, and worse, he chose to disparage players mothers.
    So, from an outsider looking in, I'd say this isn't about dishonouring your Country or Flag.  It is an attempt to divert attention about things not going as well as he might like.
    Don't get all bent out of shape over this, there will be something else come along tomorrow.  As for the NHL, Americans make up less than 5% of active players, the majority of the non whites are from Canada, and almost no professional hockey players come from the "hood" as do a good number of football or basketball players.  So, it is totally a different group of socioeconomic factors.

Ed
X2

The OP (me) never insulted anyone and I don't see where any of the other posts were insulting.

Those posting about "let's get back to RV...", that is the same exact sentiment many of us feel about NFL protests "let's just get back to football."

In the spirit of extending good will I will make this about RVing.  I like to fly two flags when I'm RVing.  I fly the American flag and a New England Patriots flag.  My Patriots flag will stay stowed on my next camping trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom