What to use to install knife rack, or magnet strip under cabinet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graycat

The bottom of the cabinet and between the two shelves seems to be built like a hollow core door.  The bottom layer presses in almost a half inch everywhere.  If there is a solid piece of wood, I can't find it.  I don't know how heavy a knife rack is when it has a few big knives on it, but I sure don't want it falling off.  Should I try to use the adhesive strip that came with it, or screw it to the thin luan with wall anchors?

No matter how you mount something heavy there, it will probably fail. Can you put something inside the cabinet as blocking, and screw through the lunan into it?

About seven years ago, I wrote an online driver safety course for employees of a major auto manufacturer. The person who worked with me to determine content was the director of safety for the several corporate test tracks.  One of the important points he constantly made to me was that everything in a vehicle should be securely fastened. As he pointed out, even an apple or a briefcase can be lethal in an accident. He suggested using a seat belt through the handle and around briefcases and putting things like apples in the latched console.

So, visualize what would happen if a "big knife" were to fly across a vehicle in an accident? 

Just make sure all knives can be securely fastened inside that knife rack, however you install it. Inside a cabinet is probably safer than on a wall or under a cabinet.

We have a magnetic knife rack installed in our rig. We decided to mount it so the bottom of the knives would rest on the top of the counter, right behind the stove. The knives stay put yet they have some additional support so not all the weight of the big ones is on just the magnet. We used small screws that came with the knife rack. Ours has a small metal bar that gets screwed on, then the magnet slides on that (IKEA). The mounting location was pretty solid since it is on the edge of the trailer rather than just a cabinet. I don't think I would trust mounting anything to just luan with tape or screws.

Back
Top Bottom