EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Freightliner Chassis Owners - House Battery Charging  (Read 565 times)

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: Freightliner Chassis Owners - House Battery Charging
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2017, 05:05:05 PM »
Kim if the Bird is bi-directional is ground power charging your chassis batteries?

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2017, 05:20:10 PM »
I guess on the upside, the driveshafts are relatively short and easy to pull...

True, but it's just one of many issues. Next week I should get a new driver side window dual shade (screen & solid). The old one failed. I thought it was made by United Shade in Elkhart and hoped they could repair it, but it wasn't theirs. The current version of Monaco said it was MCD, but no not theirs. So I ordered a replacement from United Shade since the're nearby. Later I found out the shade was made by AutoMotionShade from Ontario.

ken

Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2017, 09:12:06 PM »
Kim if the Bird is bi-directional is ground power charging your chassis batteries?

Shore power and the generator both charge the batteries without issue.
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Taos Monte Bello RV Park, El Prado, NM

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2017, 03:03:45 PM »
Latest update from Thor Support (and a tech who was very interested in resolving the issue):

As I suspected, the Damon transition was happening when my coach was built and my born on date is three weeks before the oldest technical schematics for my unit. His comment being that Damon might not have been as good at documentation. Luck is fickle.

However, he was able to give me some additional information and rabbit holes to climb down so the good weather will help me help myself. And a troubleshooting tree to isolate the issue!!!

He did, however, tell me they are installing the BIM (Battery Isolation Manager) (see attached) on all new coaches, gas and diesel. Seems a little smarter and he thought it would be a valuable upgrade.

More wire tracing to be done! Off we go!
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2017, 03:17:30 PM »
I find it odd that they refer to charging voltage without specifying the actual voltage. Seem like it's a compact version of the BIRD/BigBoy combo which is nice, but its seems to do the same thing.
I also assume you still keep the large solenoid because it doesn't appear that the BIM will connect the batteries using the Dash switch (aka battery boost).

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:19:23 PM by Ken & Sheila »
Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2017, 03:50:54 PM »
My unit has a Trombetta instead of a Big Boy and they are apparently wired a bit different for use with the BIRD controller.

I have a voltage test to perform as we try to isolate which component failed. Some documentation indicates these Trombettas have a history of early failure. I still have not found the BIRD controller but I must be getting close.  8)
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2017, 06:13:48 PM »
One thing I found odd about the BigBoy (and probably the Trombetta) is that the signal voltage from the BIRD to keep it closed is only 3+ volts, not 12. I found this out when the first BIRD died and I wanted to close the BigBoy to charge the chassis batteries while we were park. So dumbly I just ran a 12 volt line to the BigBoy signal  input. Checked on it a few minutes later and the BB was hot. Disconnected my line and found the BB documentation. I could have damaged the coils in the BB if I had left that 12 volt line on.

Yes I heard that the Trombettas were subject to early failure.

Follow that signal line off the Trombetta. It has got to lead you to the BIRD.

I have found relays in the stupidest places. I was doing some additional insulation in the rear and opened the floor of the closet on the rear pass side. Under the floor is one of the Aquahot heat exchangers, obviously I knew that was there, but behind it is a PC board with 4 relays. 2 of them control the Bedroom slides. Not sure about the others. My wiring diagram shows them in the circuit, but not where - a lot of help! At least I now know where they are located.
Good luck finding the BIRD, with these coach manufacturers who knows where they though was a good location.

Ken & Sheila

Hosted by Over The Network