chlorine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabrown

is swimming pool clorene as good as bleach, booth the same? just wondering

Liquid pool chlorine is stronger than household bleach. I think pool chlorine is 10 or 12 percent while bleach is about 6 percent.  My memory could be wrong on exact numbers. 

Pugapooh said:
Liquid pool chlorine is stronger than household bleach. I think pool chlorine is 10 or 12 percent while bleach is about 6 percent.  My memory could be wrong on exact numbers.

you are right on the money, cheaper bleach is usually around 3 percent. For disinfect purpose you don't need much. Long as you can smell it, it will disinfect. Usually I add 3/4 tsp to 32 oz sprayer, spray and let for minute or 2.

I could be wrong on this (and probably am), but I think that some pool chlorine type chemicals have other chemicals in the mix which are not considered "potable"! I didn't take the time to research this, but you should before using pool chemicals.

If the chlorine product is safe to swim in, it ought to be safe to use in drinking water as well. You get a lot of chlorinated water into your body when using the pool!

Industries often use concentrated chlorine, sometimes referred to as sodium hypochlorite in liquid form, for various reasons. For human consumption of water, you don?t need much residual in your water to make it safe to drink. It takes more chlorine for a pool because sunlight and swimming activity drives the chlorine out of the water much faster. For a closed system, like a muninciple water system or an rv for examples, the chlorine retains much longer so you need less. One thing, higher concentrations of chlorides ( a principle part of chlorine) on certain metals, like many stainless steels, act very aggressively and corrode the metals quickly so more isn?t always better in this case.

Liquid pool chlorine and common household bleach are the same thing, the only difference is strength 1 to 8% Chlorine for home bleach 1% is the el-cheapo no name stuff, 8% is the new concentrated bleach, and common regular bleach is 5-6%.  Liquid pool Chlorine is typically 12-15%, one thing to be aware of is that bleach looses its potency (Chlorine off gases over time), the higher the percentage of Chlorine the shorter the shelf life. 

Other dry forms of pool Chlorine are bonded with other types of chemicals, some of which are not good to drink on a  regular basis, specifically those sold as Stabilized chlorine which helps keep chlorine in pools longer and prevents sunlight from breaking it down as fast.

Of the common dry chlorine products, probably the safest to put in drinking water would be Calcium-Hypo, since it breaks down mostly to Calcium and Chlorine, note I said safest, not safe.

Plain old Clorox bleach is what you need, no additives, no extra fragrance, nothing else but bleach.  I would not use pool bleach simply because you don't know what's in it.

ArdraF

a lot of the chlorox laundry stuff has soaps and fragrances too.... so watch that
liquid pool chlorine is more or less pure bleach

Back
Top Bottom